Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson spoke earlier this year at his alma mater Stanford University and talked about the early years of Apple retail stores (via ifoAppleStore). Johnson oversaw the development of the Apple Store and is credited with creating the company's distinctive retail experience.

After joining Apple in 2000, Johnson was given complete control over the company's retail project by then-CEO Steve Jobs. The first Apple Stores featured high-speed Internet connections to attract new customers and were originally designed to create a sense of community among Apple users, not necessarily sell products.
“It was a pure play,” Johnson said of the store design. “There was really no compromise on any of the intuition. And I think that’s how the Apple stores connected (with visitors).” Even today, he said, people go to the stores, “just to go. They don’t go to buy. There are so many reasons to come.”
Johnson joined Apple as Senior Vice President of Retail Operations in January 2000 and remained in that role until 2011, when he departed for a CEO position at J.C. Penney. Under his leadership, Apple's retail operations exploded, generating over a $1 billion in annual sales within two years and eventually leading all U.S. retailers in terms of monetary sales per square foot.

Johnson was succeeded by Dixons' John Browett, who served as Apple's retail chief for a short seven months. Apple's retail operations, which now include 425 retail stores in 16 countries worldwide, are now under the leadership of former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts, who joined Apple earlier this year. Ahrendts is best known for her transformation of Burberry from a struggling retailer into a global fashion powerhouse.

Article Link: Former Apple SVP Ron Johnson Recounts Early Days of Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
"The first Apple Stores featured high-speed Internet connections to attract new customers and were originally designed to create a sense of community among Apple users, not necessarily sell products."

This and amazing products made Apple store visits wonderful. I seldom left without making a purchase. Now I avoid the Apple store. If I want a hard sell environment with verbal misrepresentations there are always used car lots to visit.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
"The first Apple Stores featured high-speed Internet connections to attract new customers and were originally designed to create a sense of community among Apple users, not necessarily sell products."

This and amazing products made Apple store visits wonderful. I seldom left without making a purchase. Now I avoid the Apple store. If I want a hard sell environment with verbal misrepresentations there are always used car lots to visit.

What Apple store are you visiting? I've experienced nothing like that.....ever.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

I visit the store nearest my home. It was not always this way. There has been an unfortunate turn. I'll give you an example.

Several months ago I stopped in and looked at the iPad Air. A salesperson approached and asked if I had questions. I only had one. How much memory on the Air.

His response "I don't know." I asked him to find someone in the store who had the info. "No one here knows. Nobody knows. Even Apple doesn't know".

I thanked him and left. This store needs a new manager or Apple needs a CEO.

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I visit the store nearest my home. It was not always this way. There has been an unfortunate turn. I'll give you an example.

Several months ago I stopped in and looked at the iPad Air. A salesperson approached and asked if I had questions. I only had one. How much memory on the Air.

His response "I don't know." I asked him to find someone in the store who had the info. "No one here knows. Nobody knows. Even Apple doesn't know".

I assume you were asking about RAM, and not SSD memory. Apple doesn't publish how much RAM is in their iOS devices. Only people who read rumor sites would know such an answer so I don't think the salesperson's response was as awful as you're making it out to be. That would have been the response any time you entered any Apple store selling iOS devices. Same if you asked about processor speed.

Whether you think Apple should make RAM (or clock speed) an important spec when selling their iOS devices is another topic, but thinking the store salespeople are terrible because they only discuss specs that Apple releases is silly.

Last edited:

hdgarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014

Umm, not really an example of a hard sell. And arguably it isn't misinformation either. Although, saying that APPLE doesn't know it is probably not really accurate, it is try that they generally don't publish this information and it requires someone to tear it down and discover this.

zumajoe

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Seriously, Apple stores have changed (hate to say it.. but seems around when Steve died).

In the past, I always felt comfortable walking into an Apple store and would only asked once if I needed help. This was great, because it was a relief from walking into Best Buy for example, where you have some fly buzzing around you non-stop "do you need help with something?".

Often times I walk into an Apple store for no reason at all, usually when the wife is shopping and I get an excuse to escape picking out girly clothes- to simply admire the iPad i've already seen 20 times that I don't have yet.

Maybe it's all in my head, but it really seems they've pushed employees to be up your ass a little bit more over the years and feels a bit corporate. This makes me less excited to stop in.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

That was a poor way to go about it. He could've Google'd it or asked someone. He does not represent all of Apple though... If you had that same experience multiple times I would understand. You just happened to get the lazy jerk.

Seriously, Apple stores have changed (hate to say it.. but seems around when Steve died).

In the past, I always felt comfortable walking into an Apple store and would only asked once if I needed help. This was great, because it was a relief from walking into Best Buy for example, where you have some fly buzzing around you non-stop "do you need help with something?".

Often times I walk into an Apple store for no reason at all, usually when the wife is shopping and I get an excuse to escape picking out girly clothes- to simply admire the iPad i've already seen 20 times that I don't have yet.

Maybe it's all in my head, but it really seems they've pushed employees to be up your ass a little bit more over the years and feels a bit corporate. This makes me less excited to stop in.

Customers complain that they didn't get approached or were confused when needing to be rung up for an item. That's why the employees ask people if they need help or have questions.

Apple employees are still friendly and welcoming. There were negative employees in 2008/2009 and there are negative employees now... Apple does have a lot more employees and stores today than it did when Steve was alive and healthier, but there are amazing interactions still happening at the stores.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I assume you were asking about RAM, and not SSD memory. Apple doesn't publish how much RAM is in their iOS devices. Only people who read rumor sites would know such an answer so I don't think the salesperson's response was as awful as you're making it out to be. That would have been the response any time you entered any Apple store selling iOS devices. Same if you asked about processor speed.

Whether you think Apple should make RAM (or clock speed) an important spec when selling their iOS devices is another topic, but thinking the store salespeople are terrible because they only discuss specs that Apple releases is silly.

I was asking about memory not storage.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I've visited the local Apple store many times over the years. The environment has changed significantly. They want you to buy each time you walk in. The press for an iPhone sale.

I made many incidental purchases just because I was in the area and dropped in. Now I avoid the store. It's not fun. I don't like sales pressure.

Any time I dropped in and was not planning an immediate purchase I made that known to the person who greeted me. I don't like to waste peoples time. When I was there just to play with demos I was honest that it was my reason to be there. I didn't want to take up a reps time when other customers may need help.

Many of those visits did result in a sale or a sale in the immediate future.

I visit one store. I am only presenting my experience. The store has changed.

Last summer I made purchase from apple.com with a store pickup. They let me know that they were not pleased about the online purchase. Wanted me to buy at the retail store. The item was refurbished.

The store you visit may be like this one was a few years ago. I hope it is.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I've visited the local Apple store many times over the years. The environment has changed significantly. They want you to buy each time you walk in. The press for an iPhone sale.

I made many incidental purchases just because I was in the area and dropped in. Now I avoid the store. It's not fun. I don't like sales pressure.

Any time I dropped in and was not planning an immediate purchase I made that known to the person who greeted me. I don't like to waste peoples time. When I was there just to play with demos I was honest that it was my reason to be there. I didn't want to take up a reps time when other customers may need help.

Last summer I made purchase from apple.com with a store pickup. They let me know that they were not pleased about the online purchase. Wanted me to buy at the retail store. The item was refurbished.

Hmm I'm confused. You did a Personal Pickup and the employee told you they were not happy that you purchased online?

And sales pressure? They don't pressure you Lol. Apple products can sell themselves...

Something isn't adding up.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm I'm confused. You did a Personal Pickup and the employee told you they were not happy that you purchased online?

And sales pressure? They don't pressure you Lol. Apple products can sell themselves...

Something isn't adding up.

Yes. I was made aware that the purchase should be made at that retail location.

If they don't pressure in the store you visit good for you.

I'm finished with this topic. It's obvious that some people here think each and every retain store is the same. Any location of any retail store is only as good as the GM. Apple is no exception

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yeah, funny enough, this same exchange, with the same user occurred in a different thread - even funnier, I was going to reply in that thread, selected the posts (see below), and never did, however, they were still in my “quote buffer” :D

I edited out some of the slightly abrasive parts, because I don’t think it’s appropriate to say the user is fabricating things, however, it does seem like a strange situation that’s way outside of the retail experience [most?] other folks seem to have (most specifically in terms of high pressure sales tactics). Quoting my own post too since I’ve been to several stores along the US east coast.

I guess YMMV. ;)

Really? Weird. I’ve been in Apple stores in my area (north of me in Jacksonville, a dozen so times), in the Pittsburgh area (the South Hills location at least 5-6 times), the Georgetown location in DC, and multiple stores in NYC and I’ve never once been hassled, or had anything that approaches a heavy handed sell.

It’s usually as simple as “How can we help”, and I either tell them I’m just looking, or in the case of service or purchase, just let them know and they connect me with the proper staff member.

I have been to countless Apple stores all over US and Canada, and I have never encountered any employees pressuring me to buy anything. Beyond a normal greeting of "Do you need any help?" (which is what I count as a positive experience,) I have never witnessed any high pressure tactics.

Every time I visit the Apple store I'm asked, "May I help you with anything?". I say no, and move on. I have never been "hassled" into buying an iPhone nor anything Apple.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
My typical Apple retail store experience is positive, with a few sticking points.

The salespeople tend to be friendly and relatively low-key, I'm convinced this is exactly what Apple wants and chooses and trains staff to that end. While out walking I often stop at my local store to jump on wifi and check email and no one has ever made me feel bad about that, in fact they encourage it.

On the other hand, when I do get into conversations with staff I usually find a distinct lack of anything more than basic product knowledge, especially when it come to slightly older, yet highly functional and relevant products. I'm not saying they need to know everything about everything, but I get the feeling that they hire based on how charming and enthusiastic a person is, and that often translates into very young and inexperienced employees. If you have a recent device, say 1-3 years old, there's a really good chance you've had it longer than the salesperson has worked at Apple, and may have more product knowledge than they have.

Look around an Apple store next time you're there and you'll see a overwhelming majority of the people on the floor look 18-24 years old, the perfect age to sell iGadgets to first time customers.

That may work well for selling the latest products and requires little to no knowledge of Apple product history but I wonder how repeat customers, especially older loyal customers, feel about having more experience than the sales staff.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Louvre Apple store was a frequent stop by when I was always waiting for my train. I'd just go in and sit, take out my MBP and browse the internet for hours in the corner.

hdgarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014

That does not sound like fun. I can say that I very infrequently visit the nearest apple store to me, it has probably been 3-4 months since I was there. Locally, I have not experienced this, I hope this is more of a localized thing where maybe the local manager is pressuring for increased sales an not a general apple shift in protocol.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Customers complain that they didn't get approached or were confused when needing to be rung up for an item. That's why the employees ask people if they need help or have questions.

They're probably the same ones who don't know how to call a waiters attention when needed; writing and spreading bad service reviews afterwards.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Apple store people aren't really salespeople, in the way that most people think of salespeople. They're supposed to be a low-cost version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Selling-Hard-World-Persuasion/dp/0762404019

However, there are always people who are off the reservation, or get sales advice from other people. And let's face it, if you can really understand someone's use cases after a few minutes you should be paid more. But overall Apple scaled its stores pretty well, from what I've seen.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I just hate going to the Apple Store these days because it's usually crowded beyond all reason. It's crazy.

Plus the whole 'you must make an appointment to see a genius' thing really rubbed me the wrong way. Something as simple as getting earbuds replaced because the controls died takes about 2 minutes of their time, yet they will boot me out without an appointment (even on light days). It's also difficult to look at products when there's a million people in the store cramming into all the displays. Ugh.

I miss the old days where you could go in there and browse for hours at all the goodies, when it was busy but not nuts. These days, I just buy all my stuff from either the Apple online store or Best Buy.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
Never thrown out without appoinment.

I just hate going to the Apple Store these days because it's usually crowded beyond all reason. It's crazy.

Plus the whole 'you must make an appointment to see a genius' thing really rubbed me the wrong way. Something as simple as getting earbuds replaced because the controls died takes about 2 minutes of their time, yet they will boot me out without an appointment (even on light days). It's also difficult to look at products when there's a million people in the store cramming into all the displays. Ugh.

I miss the old days where you could go in there and browse for hours at all the goodies, when it was busy but not nuts. These days, I just buy all my stuff from either the Apple online store or Best Buy.

They always put me in the queue and sure I might have to wait a little bit to a half hour depending on the complexity of my need. An exchange for an accessory is the quickest

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Great video and worth taking the time to watch. Ron had a huge impact on Apple.

Angela Ahrendts has some big shoes to fill, but I look forward to seeing what she can do.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009

They literally said Apple doesn't even know how much memory is in the iPad Air... yes that is a very idiotic response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.