Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced OS X Yosemite last month during its worldwide developers conference and released the first beta version of the operating system to developers at the same time. According to web analytics firm Chitika, developer interest in Yosemite is high with an early adoption rate that is significantly greater than its predecessor OS X Mavericks and still growing.
Overall, the data point to a promising future for OS X Yosemite. In the short term, we expect the operating system's usage share to grow in the wake of the release of the third Developer Preview edition on July 7, 2014. Additionally, with the increased level of developer activity thus far, along with the success of the similarly no cost OS X Mavericks, it's very probable that OS X Yosemite adoption will outpace that of any other previous Mac desktop OS when it is released publicly later this year.
Chitika measured Mac OS X ad impressions from users in the U.S. and Canada between June 2 and July 2, 2014. Adoption of OS X Yosemite rose quickly after release, climbing to 0.15% of total U.S. and Canadian Mac OS X Web traffic in just a few days. In comparison, OS X Mavericks last year took about 30 days to reach only 0.05% of measured web traffic.

chitika-yosemite.jpeg
Chitika attributes this higher adoption to curiosity about new features of OS X, especially those collaborative options that tie into iOS. Along with OS X Yosemite, Apple introduced iOS 8 with new continuity features that improve the cross-platform integration of iOS 8 with OS X Yosemite. Most notable is Handoff, which allows users to start a task on one iCloud-enabled device and easily transfer that task to another nearby device without losing changes.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Beta Usage Beats Mavericks' Pace by 4x as New Features and Look Draw Testers

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
or maybe it has everything to do with allowing a limited public beta that increased the numbers significantly?

edit: i've been corrected and brought up to speed, thanks!

Last edited:

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Let's hope those of us with older (pre 2012) macs can take advantage of the new connectivity features. So far it looks like it is hit or miss depending on the age of the computer.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
iOS-only developers also have access to Yosemite Developer Previews this year. That could account for the large increase.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's interesting that they're basing total beta adoption on web traffic percentages; perhaps the refinements and additions to Yosemite's Safari are conducive to more developers testing web interfaces.

Web usage is pretty much the standard across the internet for figuring out everything from average usage time, to platform vs. platform ownership (iOS/Android/Windows).

Ah, fair enough. :)

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's interesting that they're basing total beta adoption on web traffic percentages; perhaps the refinements and additions to Yosemite's Safari are conducive to more developers testing web interfaces.

Web usage is pretty much the standard across the internet for figuring out everything from average usage time, to platform vs. platform ownership (iOS/Android/Windows).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Let's hope those of us with older (pre 2012) macs can take advantage of the new connectivity features. So far it looks like it is hit or miss depending on the age of the computer.

As far as I know and understand, SMS texts will DEFINITELY work since that's handled via iCloud, and Handoff will definitely NOT work since that's Bluetooth LE. As far as calls I also believe that's Bluetooth LE based.

iOS-only developers also have access to Yosemite Developer Previews this year. That could account for the large increase.

This is exactly what I think as well.

my bad! i thought it went out to the first mil after wwdc?

It will be available to the first one million people who signed up after the beta goes live, presumably in late July/Early August.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It will grow even more once Apple finally lets public beta testers in.

Granted, I know they're waiting because many users will try the beta and think of it as a public release and complain when something goes wrong, but still.

I have a spare partition just waiting for that release email. :D

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Where's my iPhone 6 leak article for today?

Why no real phone shots from the Foxcon production line as of yet? Is Tim really doubleing-down on security? I need my fix! :p

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Certainly helps that it has one of the biggest graphical changes in years. I don't think closed betas show much correlation with what happens when it comes out either.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Curiosity

I can't imagine that curiosity is 3 times higher for this release over the last one. The last one was also a pretty big release with some good stuff in it.

I think what we are seeing is the increase in the Apple developer community. I suspect that the iOS and OS X developer community has grown significantly in the last year, far faster and larger than folks realize. The community has also gotten better funding and more focused on Apple. Perhaps last year a programming group was looking at next gen consoles just as must as they were looking at iOS. One could see that focus being diverted now. I also suspect that as Apple OS X becomes a larger percentage of the non-work PC market, development for it is getting more focus.

So it isn't that the same number of people are more curious, it is that there are more people who have a vested interest in the next OS X than there were last year.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012

Precisely. This fully explains the difference. The stuff about curiosity and new look is just MR spouting ignorance as usual.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
My four-year old air slowed to a snail's pace with Mountain Lion. Too scared to drop a new OS on it. Guess I'll wait until I upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.