Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Hello All,

I just got my refurbished iPod Touch 5 replaced with a new iPd Touch 5. The woman at the Apple Store said that it was new but had been in the back fora long time. The iPod came with iOS 6.1.3 on it. I had forgotten how great iOS 6 looked compared to iOS 7. How do I prevent the iPod from updating to iOS 7? When I go to the software update page in "Settings" it tells me that the iPod is downloading iOS 7.1.2. I want to stay on 6.1.3. Please advise.

MagWhiz

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
México
You could block the Apple Update Servers from your router.

Since it seems that your device downloaded the software update, you'll lose like 1GB of disk space. The only way that I know to recover that space is jailbreaking and deleting the update files. That way you could also disable OTA updates completely.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You could block the Apple Update Servers from your router.

Since it seems that your device downloaded the software update, you'll lose like 1GB of disk space. The only way that I know to recover that space is jailbreaking and deleting the update files. That way you could also disable OTA updates completely.

It started to download but then turned off wifi. Then when I turned wifi back on it asked if I wanted to continue downloading. I think I am ok ad long as wifi is turned off while I am charging the iPod.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Maybe this is something unique to iOS 7.x.x(my iPad is on 7.1.1), but I was given the choice to delete the update to 7.1.2. I did delete it, since I am fine where it is, but I'm not sure when this started to be offered. Not sure if this helps you, but it is nice they added it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe this is something unique to iOS 7.x.x(my iPad is on 7.1.1), but I was given the choice to delete the update to 7.1.2. I did delete it, since I am fine where it is, but I'm not sure when this started to be offered. Not sure if this helps you, but it is nice they added it.

That was a new feature that was included with iOS 7.1.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It started to download but then turned off wifi. Then when I turned wifi back on it asked if I wanted to continue downloading. I think I am ok ad long as wifi is turned off while I am charging the iPod.

That's really the only way the device could get a software update if you plug in the device and it's in charge/external power mode and you have a connection to the internet.

Trust me as I have an iPad 3 still running on iOS 5.1.1 and I will get the OS notification but nothing ever downloads as long as i'm not connected to the web and it's plugged in.

An interesting feature I spotted in iOS 7 and in the App store settings you can disable automatic updates. I'm not sure if that applies to system updates.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I had an iPhone 4 for a short while that was still on iOS 6 (thankgoodness!), and I backed up my SHSH's and made a custom restore file (only applies to A4 chip though). And jailbroke it with p0sixspwn. I then used iFile to delete the update data completely, and installed a tweak to prevent it from downloaded any updates, period. Worked great!

This is if you want to go the Jailbreak route. I also installed the security patch from the later iOS 6/7 releases.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Fill up your iPod to the gills - then auto download will not happen even if you accidentally forget to turn off WiFi (which may happen more often than you finding yourself out of space).

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Fill up your iPod to the gills - then auto download will not happen even if you accidentally forget to turn off WiFi (which may happen more often than you finding yourself out of space).

I'm going to jailbreak it so that the auto update will be disabled. It's a 64 gig model and I will NOT be able to fill it to the gills, nor would I want to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.