Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'll probably get slammed for this, but wouldn't it be in Apple's best interest to lessen the price gap of their products compared to competitors? I suspect there's a large market of buyers who would move over to Apple if prices were more reasonable. I know, I know, they've made billions with their pricing model, but wouldn't they REALLY dominate the market with lower prices?

True, but then you open the door for some problems. Generally people who are willing to sink £1000+ into a laptop have done their research and know why they need it -- and how to use it.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Windows 8.1 is re-gaining market share

Congratulations to Lenovo, well deserved. They cater to multiple sectors of the market and their high end products are very impressive. And so does Dell, and so does HP.

And btw, touch on a laptop grows on you. No, you don't replace your keyboard and mouse, and you still use them heavily, but for certain things that you wish you can touch the screen, now you can.

Apple will add touch to its laptops and desktops in 2017, call it touchulationary or something like that, and then we all will be all over it saying how it makes so much sense

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Limied choices limit sales

Here lies my issue with Apple's current computer line, if Apple does not make a computer that fits your needs, you need to fit your needs to Apples offerings. While Apple's line up fits a fairly wide spectrum, there are gaps. I consider myself as falling into those gaps.

Currently Apple makes no computer that fits what I want. Mini: not powerful enough, iMac: utterly opposed to all-in-one format, MacBookPro: no anti-glare option, MacPro: too limited and too costly. Sure I could just suck it up and deal with the aspects I dislike, or I can continue too hang on for dear life to the machines I obtained when they built products I didn't have to compromise what I wanted.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
God people can be annoying sometimes.

If this was "Apple passes Lenovo" you'd say "not surprising, quality and quantity"

What a joke

And if Apple had 1000 different models of laptops starting at rock-bottom prices, it probably would be "Apple passes Lenovo". And you'd say "not surprising, Apple's quality has suffered to cater for the cheaper budget"

The guy's point was perfectly valid, and if you've had experience with the quality of Lenovo products and the way they try to fob them to resellers, you'd be saying the same thing too.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Quality, not quantity.

Of course, everything Apple releases is quality. Such as the iPad 3, now that's a quality product, well engineered, well designed, no heat problems, and didn't get obsolete in just 6 months. It was not rushed... at all.

Quality

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Of course, everything Apple releases is quality. Such as the iPad 3, now that's a quality product, well engineered, well designed, no heat problems, and didn't get obsolete in just 6 months. It was not rushed... at all.

Quality

Cool, I forgot about the iPad being a computer and relevant to this discussion. Thanks for reminding us.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is very simple. Flashback April 8th of this year: Microsoft ceases support for Windows XP.

What did that mean? Every school and business that used XP needed to upgrade either their OS or computer. But most Windows users do not upgrade OSes, they just buy a new computer because the old one either doesn't meet or barely meets minimum install requirements.

What does that mean? That this is likely a blip and has more to do with Windows than Apple's Mac lineup.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
People seem to forget that businesses buy HO, Lenovo etc as well as consumers so no one should be surprised about market share.

Apple have largely given up on Macs for business - they cater more towards the consumer.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I've owned multiple HP PCs and they usually last me 5 to 6 years. The last two I replaced because of the hard drives dying, but if I wanted to I could have just replaced the drives and gotten even more use out if them.

Same here...my HP laptop just keeps chugging along. Fantastic value for me as it was ~$750 and has lasted ~6 years. Still my primary travel computer.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I'll probably get slammed for this, but wouldn't it be in Apple's best interest to lessen the price gap of their products compared to competitors? I suspect there's a large market of buyers who would move over to Apple if prices were more reasonable. I know, I know, they've made billions with their pricing model, but wouldn't they REALLY dominate the market with lower prices?

Apple is not about dominating the share of shipments/units sold market, it about dominating the share of the profit market. The many other firms are pumping out vast numbers of cheaper units and writing red or thin black margins.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Marketshare luckily isn't reflective of quality. HP and Lenovo both churn out the cheapest crap they can, with failure rates (overheating for HPs, everything else for the Lenovos) unparalleled in the industry.

It's a shame that parents and consumers simply see the price tag and buy solely on that. Nonetheless, people who buy HP certainly don't buy them again -- different story for Apple.

My company have had HP laptops and now use Lenovo laptops, they don't have had any problem, no overheating, no HD problems, anything.

My next laptop will be an Air retina or a Pro retina but my late 2010 Air is one of the hottest laptops I have had

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
For Most People

a PC just needs to get on the internet

and a smartphone just needs to Text, FB, and take Pix

thats it...

Watches, Glasses and whatever nerd wearables are junk no one needs
there is a reason Paris and Milan are fashion capitals NOT the valley

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
T440 models?

Or BestBuy retail shelf crap they push?

Been setting up T430's, T430s's, T420's. We order them on contract with MARKit. Headquaters doesn't allow us to order T440 as they are "too expensive". We had 2 T440's come through but those we specifically setup for managers. Perhaps lenovo wouldn't be so bad if they didn't revise models so often. We order both Desktop and Laptops every other week, and the model literally always has a little physical adjustment, wether it's the keyboard. The placement of Ethernet Ports and USB ports, Wifi Switch. It's literally something else everytime. Don't even get me started on Lenovo Solution Center.. it's a ****ing nightmare. Seriously any other company does it better than lenovo, and it's still expensive that's the worst thing about it.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Cool, I forgot about the iPad being a computer and relevant to this discussion. Thanks for reminding us.

It's not, but I want to point out that the claim that everything Apple releases is 'high quality, premium' product is not true, not recently at least. Apple, just like all other companies on that list, have their ups and downs.

We can't keep playing the quality card to justify Apple's shrinking market share.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
My company have had HP laptops and now use Lenovo laptops, they don't have had any problem, no overheating, no HD problems, anything.

My next laptop will be an Air retina or a Pro retina but my late 2010 Air is one of the hottest laptops I have had

Airs use the aluminium shell to disperse heat. They may feel hotter but the thermal system is considerably more advanced, and the CPU runs less hot than the equivalent Wintel does (when doing the same job, not to say the Airs don't hit 100C under stress).

Regrettably I don't quite believe your company's HP and Lenovo laptops have been faultless, but that's more reflective of my bias from a myriad of bad experiences rather than an accusation against your honesty.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I will say this however, for all the talk about how "expensive" Macbooks are, try pricing a competitive PC, they are all as expensive or *more* expensive. I just don't understand the constant "common knowledge" that Macs are more expensive. Try buying a Lenovo or Samsung Ultrabook - and tell me what it costs compared to a Macbook.

Though, I will say that the Macbooks (Air at least) are falling way behind in display quality / tech.

15" schenker xmg a504
quadcore i7 2.9 ghz, boost up to 3.9ghz
16 gbram
1 tb hard drive
256 gb ssd
geforce gtx 860m
bluray burner
1703€

---------

15" retina MacBook Pro
quadcore i7 2.0 ghz, boost up to 3.2ghz
8 gb ram
256 gb flash storage
iris pro
no optical drive
1999€

tell me about it. and dont tell me the retina display is totally worth it. dell sells laptops with resolutions slightly higher than retina, they just dont make a fuss about it.

but yeah, if you exclusively look at ultrabooks, they are also expensive with samsung or asus

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
And if Apple had 1000 different models of laptops starting at rock-bottom prices, it probably would be "Apple passes Lenovo". And you'd say "not surprising, Apple's quality has suffered to cater for the cheaper budget"

The guy's point was perfectly valid, and if you've had experience with the quality of Lenovo products and the way they try to fob them to resellers, you'd be saying the same thing too.

Yes but Apple is at the other extreme end of the spectrum. Every machine they have is incredibly specific niche. If they had just a little more variety they would do better. I WANT to buy a new mac now, but nothing they have makes sense for me. I'm going to hold on to my pre 2013 mac pro until they thing dies, then if they haven't made something more inline with what I want I'm probably going to go back to PC's with Linux.

Also, even though the "Apple Tax" has been pretty much debunked, because they don't have anything that is cheaper everyone still assumes they are too expensive and doesn't consider them. I recommend Mac's to all my friends and family and their initial reaction is always "thats too much money." You can tell by their recent changes to their iPhone product line they are aware of this, though they clearly didn't take it too seriously. There is a danger that doing so will affect their overall image.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Airs use the aluminium shell to disperse heat. They may feel hotter but the thermal system is considerably more advanced, and the CPU runs less hot than the equivalent Wintel does (when doing the same job, not to say the Airs don't hit 100C under stress).

They don't feel hotter, they are hotter in my legs. And if the thermal system is more advanced I don't know why they are so noisy, perhaps my HP i7 laptop is really primitive and it can make so much noise than my Core 2 Duo Air, perhaps it is because primitive systems that don't use aluminum don't need do much fans to spread the heat like the Air

Regrettably I don't quite believe your company's HP and Lenovo laptops have been faultless, but that's more reflective of my bias from a myriad of bad experiences rather than an accusation against your honesty.

No comment

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Quality

O M G !!! I'm still using my ipad 3. Was I supposed to throw it away?!? :eek:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I recommend Mac's to all my friends and family and their initial reaction is always "thats too much money."

Preaching to the choir, matey. It took me 3 years and my mate getting through 4 Wintels (added together, exceeding the value of a new Mac!) before he actually listened to me and jumped ship.

Of course, it won't stop them complaining to you whenever anything goes wrong with the computer you told them not to buy. ;)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Here lies my issue with Apple's current computer line, if Apple does not make a computer that fits your needs, you need to fit your needs to Apples offerings. While Apple's line up fits a fairly wide spectrum, there are gaps. I consider myself as falling into those gaps.

Currently Apple makes no computer that fits what I want. Mini: not powerful enough, iMac: utterly opposed to all-in-one format, MacBookPro: no anti-glare option, MacPro: too limited and too costly. Sure I could just suck it up and deal with the aspects I dislike, or I can continue too hang on for dear life to the machines I obtained when they built products I didn't have to compromise what I wanted.

What's limited about the Mac Pro? It has a higher repairability score than older Mac Pro's and has mostly replaceable parts, RAM, HDD, processor, and GPU.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
15" schenker xmg a504
quadcore i7 2.9 ghz, boost up to 3.9ghz
16 gbram
1 tb hard drive
256 gb ssd
geforce gtx 860m
bluray burner
1703€

---------

15" retina MacBook Pro
quadcore i7 2.0 ghz, boost up to 3.2ghz
8 gb ram
256 gb flash storage
iris pro
no optical drive
1999€

tell me about it. and dont tell me the retina display is totally worth it. dell sells laptops with resolutions slightly higher than retina, they just dont make a fuss about it.

but yeah, if you exclusively look at ultrabooks, they are also expensive with samsung or asus

Battery life on that 'Schenker'? Build quality? Lightness? Thinness? These are all hardware aspects as well, even if they don't matter to you.

What about support? Repair time?

(psst, if you want to just compare those specs: the SSD in the Retina MacBook Pro is PCI-e, much quicker than the SATA SSD. Also, the CPU in the 15" rMBP are made exclusively for Apple and you can't find them in any other Wintels. But just overlook that too?)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
For the first time in years, I have no interest in buying an Apple machine. I got a Surface Pro 3, after having a Surface Pro 2 (sold my 15" Retina Macbook Pro) which is a really great machine, though not without lots of the typical Microsoft foibles.

Still, it is far more interesting of a machine than anything Apple currently has. Which really makes me sad, because for the first time in a LONG time, I am hesitant to recommend an Apple computer to my friends.

Say what you will about Windows 8.1, it is coming along pretty nicely - I was shocked at how much lower maintenance it was compared to Windows Vista (last version of Windows I had the displeasure of using, yuck).

I really enjoy the SP3, and all of my friends and family are enthralled with it (though it has its issues).

I have started hearing words like 'boring' thrown around when describing Macs these days, which is ... not supposed to happen!

C'mon Apple, we are starting to believe that the media is right, without Steve at the helm, you've lost your way once more.

I really hate posts like these . You people act like Steve did everything PERFECTLY when he was CEO . There's nothing wrong with Apple's current line of computers .

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Would be nice if Apple updated the Mac mini. I mean, the thing has chips from over two years ago....

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.