Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerry098

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Long story short I got my iphone 4s wet and it wouldn't turn on. About an hour later I got it in rice and left it there over night. It still wouldn't turn on the next day so i tried to vacuum the water out and then left it in rice again over night. In the morning I plugged in the phone and it turned on! The only problem was if i took the charger out it would shut off, the flash wont work, and it can't find any signal including wifi (just says "searching..." in the top corner).
I have yet to take it apart but the 2 external water damage indicator strips are red.
I'm planning on buying a new battery but I don't know what to purchase that will fix the signal searching thing. Anything will be appreciated. I really don't want to and can't afford to straight up replace it with a new one. If you think you know what I need to buy to fix it please tell me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Stick it in the drier:D

Either way, I wouldn't spend any money trying to fix it.
If you dont want to pay for a replacement just sell it as is.
It's not just the battery and by playing the guessing game you would spend more than its worth fixing it.
And due to corrosion more components will fail eventually.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The thing is that you really should leave it drying for at least a couple of days straight if not even more than that before you try it out even for the first time.

JasminBarby

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Same idea, I don't think it is just battery problem, maybe the mainboard is damaged too... send it to some professional repairing store to have a try, or just move on.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Same idea, I don't think it is just battery problem, maybe the mainboard is damaged too... send it to some professional repairing store to have a try, or just move on.

As a new iFone user I certainly have no exhorbitant experience, but having the OP take the 4s to a "professional repairing store" will cost them more than the proverbial arm-and-a-leg. Not that the 4s is hopelessly old technology, but with the 6's banging on the door just around the corner, even 5c's are soon to be had for a dime a dozen. Unless of course the OP has some irreplaceable data on their 4s that hasn't been backed up, the wait-and-see - stick-it-in-rice procedure is certainly the least expensive in the long run.

While I've said so other places, while rice certainly CAN - and most assuredly HAS been used - for drying out electronics in the past - namely iFones - it's better to use silica gel. It can be purchased at many arts & crafts stores marketed for desiccating flowers.

But definitely, more than one or two days in a closed container is necessary for maximal drying.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Long story short I got my iphone 4s wet and it wouldn't turn on. About an hour later I got it in rice and left it there over night. It still wouldn't turn on the next day so i tried to vacuum the water out and then left it in rice again over night. In the morning I plugged in the phone and it turned on! The only problem was if i took the charger out it would shut off, the flash wont work, and it can't find any signal including wifi (just says "searching..." in the top corner).
I have yet to take it apart but the 2 external water damage indicator strips are red.
I'm planning on buying a new battery but I don't know what to purchase that will fix the signal searching thing. Anything will be appreciated. I really don't want to and can't afford to straight up replace it with a new one. If you think you know what I need to buy to fix it please tell me.

It seems like alot of hassle to go through, for a possibly already defect phone.
Trade it in for the amount of money a trade-in program is willing to pay and get yourself a new device.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
You probaly need to take to the apple store for a oow 199 dollar for a swap/a new one

because it sounds like your motherboard is dead.

199 for an new one applecare or not

but if you have apple care + then they do for free.

TarHeelBlue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
My mom dropped her iphone 4 in the bathtub. Tried to cut it on for days and it never turned on. I came home from Europe about 6 months later and it turned on just fine. I wouldn't try cutting it on, maybe get a cheapo phone and give it a week or two of drying out.

Just a thought, worked for me man.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
i didn knew that ?

do they really charge even though you have apple care+?

That sounds kinda wried in my mind :)

Anyways am VERY new to apple products got my first ios device in jan 2014 :)

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
You probaly need to take to the apple store for a oow 199 dollar for a swap/a new one

because it sounds like your motherboard is dead.

199 for an new one applecare or not

but if you have apple care + then they do for free.

Just curious ...what about the OP's statement leads you to believe the motherboard is dead?

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Ok so my iPhone 5s just visited the washing machine for a few minutes before I noticed my wife was washing my shorts and I have taken it out and shook/flung/thrown and wiped all the water I could get after turning it off. It's in a bowl of rice but 2 questions...

1 Does it need to be in a bag?
2 should I have it in the oven?

any other tips would be awesome as well!

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
I've only successfully recovered one phone that was wet and the best thing to do was leave it to dry for a LOOOOONG time. I think I waited a week or so. Then my friend opened up the phone and carefully cleaned the little parts cuz of rusting. It worked fine but I only had to keep it for a couple months before I upgraded to the iPhone 5.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I just dropped my wife's phone in the lake 5 feet deep for ten or more minutes and it's working as of now and this happened yesterday.
There's a water mark on the lower screen but it's still clear in that area.
IIt was in a cheap case to.
I am shocked it works.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I just dropped my wife's phone in the lake 5 feet deep for ten or more minutes and it's working as of now and this happened yesterday.
There's a water mark on the lower screen but it's still clear in that area.
IIt was in a cheap case to.
I am shocked it works.

I don't believe you.

Frozenoem4$

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
Admit I'm new to iPhones live in the boonies (pop. 100). But, every phone always goes in rice for week , w/I battery. Then and only then are they re-booted,
I tend to be a believer in Otter Armor cases. Wife's I iphone 3 went in lake 2 foot, driven over and still works.
Wants guess what my 4s is in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.