Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I have read that it is possible to install it on this G4 but my question is that will there be problems with the disc drive. I am buying an external USB 2.0 drive so it can read the DL disk and the eMac is only 1.1. Will there be problems with the drive after installing 10.5?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Installing Mac OS on a PowerPC with USB is a trick that I've only ever heard about. The best way to do it is to boot the eMac into FireWire target disc mode and connect it to another PowerPC Mac that does support Leopard and use it to install on the eMac's drive.

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Installing Mac OS on a PowerPC with USB is a trick that I've only ever heard about. The best way to do it is to boot the eMac into FireWire target disc mode and connect it to another PowerPC Mac that does support Leopard and use it to install on the eMac's drive.

Yea that is not possible. I am helping someone with this from a distance. I burned Leopard on a DL disk and mailed it to him but realized his mac only has a CD-Rom. How else can it get installed?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Yea that is not possible. I am helping someone with this from a distance. I burned Leopard on a DL disk and mailed it to him but realized his mac only has a CD-Rom. How else can it get installed?

You could mail him a small Leopard HDD and have him clone it to his eMac's drive, if you're out of solutions.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Firewire Target Disk Mode would be the best solution, but since that's not an option, I concur with Ariii about mailing a HDD.

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
does your friend have a cd version of osx? (panther/tiger?)...if so you could clone your osx leopard dvd to a 16gig usb stick and send it to him....

then he could simply boot his mac using his cd,open disk utility and make 2 partitions...on second partition he would restore usb stick (yes gonna take 2-3 hrs with it being usb 1.1)...once thats done...he exits disk utility and picks 2nd partition as boot drive...this will be leopard install,and he can then install to first partition...

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I just went through this with a friend from Oregon. I sent my 10.4 install CDs to him with a PowerMac G4, he lost the CDs (luckily I backed them up) and he tried to install from USB, only to find out it didnt work.

Edz2

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
I just went through this with a friend from Oregon. I sent my 10.4 install CDs to him with a PowerMac G4, he lost the CDs (luckily I backed them up) and he tried to install from USB, only to find out it didnt work.

Use a FireWire cable. USB doesn't work with all macs when it comes to installing. Can't judge by model alone ether. Some eMacs will and some won't.

----------

My eternal HD is not showing up as a boot option or in Startup Disk. Can anyone help please?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Use a FireWire cable. USB doesn't work with all macs when it comes to installing. Can't judge by model alone ether. Some eMacs will and some won't.

My eternal HD is not showing up as a boot option or in Startup Disk. Can anyone help please?

All Macs with native USB can boot from a USB drive except for the tray loading G3 iMac, B&W G3, and the PCI PowerMac G4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.