Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I have a base model early 2011 MBP 13 that I bumped to 8GB and an SSD. I've been doing some video editing in Premier recently for some shorter clips at 720p and I've not noticed any major memory problems; mine seems to be processor. For instance, my last project had five layers of video, effects, sound and I had to pre-render every time for the preview or the last layer wouldn't play. I also had iTunes, Mail, Safari with nine tabs, and a music rehearsal application in my user, then on my wife's user, which was logged in, had Safari, iTunes, Word, and Excel running. So I think that 8GB is probably enough, BUT that said, I am in the market for a new machine, since my wife has stolen this one, and I am considering 16GB. Even though 8GB seems to be meeting my needs for the most part, the reasons I am considering 16GB is:

• I know I am a heavy RAM user
  • I would like this new machine to last me 5 years
  • Soldered RAM
  • It's base on the model I'm considering :D

If you are going to replace every 2-3 years, get the 8GB. Chances are if the machines a few years from now need more RAM, it will become standard. In 5 years I may not need 16GB, but if $200 might get me another 1-2 years out of a Mac, I'm willing to pay it as an insurance fee.

On the other hand, you could get the 8GB and if an OS build comes down the road that requires more memory, just don't update to the latest.

If you are not benefiting from the extra RAM within the first year or two, then it is not worth the money. When you reach the point when 8GB is no longer enough, these are the two situations that would happen (one where you bought 8, and the other 16):

If you bought 8GB - Say you get 5 years and then 8GB os no longer supported. You buy a new machine (or continue to run an OS that has not got the newest features). The money you saved on RAM can be put towards this.

If you bought 16GB - You get an extra year or two extra support over 8GB (maybe slightly more). By that time (using the data from the paragraph above, say the 6th and 7th year of the machine), the CPU and GPU are not going to be up to standard (and certainly not for video editing...).

So the extra £160 has got you two extra years (but not really a useful computer for those gained years), but the 8GB allows you to put the £160 aside and be able to upgrade 2 years earlier than the 16GB (and therefor getting you a new CPU, GPU and more RAM than keeping the 16GB machine for 2 years more).

This is all of course only relevant if you are only going to benefit from the extra RAM by increasing the support time of the computer. If you are running a VM or two, you would benefit from 16GB right away, therefor the money is worth spending.

And PS - 8GB of RAM in 2013/2014 iMacs will last way more than 3 years. I'd say 3 years is a good figure of how long 4GB of RAM has before it's only good for basic tasks, but 8GB of RAM has got at least 5+ years of great use before it drags the computer down. Of course, 16GB would have more again.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
It makes me cry each time that I see people arguing that you need 16gb for "lots of safari tabs".
Memory compression and swap to SSD are really awesome features that every portable mac has now.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
It makes me cry each time that I see people arguing that you need 16gb for "lots of safari tabs".
Memory compression and swap to SSD are really awesome features that every portable mac has now.

I pushed my 8GB of RAM in my iMac (and I have a HDD) to 18.5GB before heavy Swap to disk. Performance was still great up until the 15.5GB range, then got bad when it hit 18.5GB (but I had it go all the way to 20.5GB with 2GB of Swap).

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
If you are not benefiting from the extra RAM within the first year or two, then it is not worth the money. When you reach the point when 8GB is no longer enough, these are the two situations that would happen (one where you bought 8, and the other 16):

If you bought 8GB - Say you get 5 years and then 8GB os no longer supported. You buy a new machine (or continue to run an OS that has not got the newest features). The money you saved on RAM can be put towards this.

If you bought 16GB - You get an extra year or two extra support over 8GB (maybe slightly more). By that time (using the data from the paragraph above, say the 6th and 7th year of the machine), the CPU and GPU are not going to be up to standard (and certainly not for video editing...).

So the extra £160 has got you two extra years (but not really a useful computer for those gained years), but the 8GB allows you to put the £160 aside and be able to upgrade 2 years earlier than the 16GB (and therefor getting you a new CPU, GPU and more RAM than keeping the 16GB machine for 2 years more).

This is all of course only relevant if you are only going to benefit from the extra RAM by increasing the support time of the computer. If you are running a VM or two, you would benefit from 16GB right away, therefor the money is worth spending.

And PS - 8GB of RAM in 2013/2014 iMacs will last way more than 3 years. I'd say 3 years is a good figure of how long 4GB of RAM has before it's only good for basic tasks, but 8GB of RAM has got at least 5+ years of great use before it drags the computer down. Of course, 16GB would have more again.

Stop making sense. It's much easier to just suggest that everyone max out their machine regardless of their usage.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Stop making sense. It's much easier to just suggest that everyone max out their machine regardless of their usage.

My favorite are these people.

"Guess I better future proof. I'll take the 16 GB model"

[year and a half later]

"OMG! A refresh was released! Take my money!"

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I am in the process of buying a new imac. This imac will be used for a lot of graphics using photoshop, etc.I will also do a lot of multitasking.

Really all I am able to afford is the 8 gb model. I also see a 16 gb model.

What are you experiences? Can I get buy with 8 gb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rocky:apple:

Photoshop is a RAM intensive program. Depending on the file sizes and operations you use, 8GB might not be enough, and might require hard drive swapping, which will really slow down operation. On the other hand, I know graphic professionals who only use Photoshop with 8 GB and claim it's fine.

I use 16 GB with an i7 Mac Mini, and have yet to run out of RAM when using Photoshop. I have, however, run out of RAM when using only Lightroom (another RAM intensive program) and Audirvana Plus (RAM intensive high end audio playback software).

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

[year and a half later]

Exactly. I am not against people who NEED powerful machines, getting powerful machines. But I cringe when I see people order a 1700 dollar maxed out Macbook Air to watch Youtube videos, and write college papers (because a bunch of strangers on a forum told them to "max it out" or "get as much ram as possible" ) when they could have accomplished the exact same tasks just as efficiently on a 900 dollar base model. (Often times much cheaper with refurbs and retailers like Best Buy having sales and student promos)

It's an old school mentality that you need all of this ram or your machine will crawl. Most regular consumers (unless they use the machine for professional video or photo editing etc) do not NEED more than 4GB of ram. There is a psychological comfort in "Future proofing" your machine in hopes of getting your money's worth and that's fine to an extent. However, there aren't that many users who's needs drastically change in the 2-4 year span of owning a computer.

I have a base model rMBP. I got it with student discount and mover's coupon plus the Best Buy sale which put me at 976 plus tax. I could have just as easily ordered a maxed out model for "future proofing" but instead, I went with what I need now. It's more than powerful enough to last me at least 2 or 3 years and when the time comes to upgrade, I can sell it for far less of a loss than if I had maxed it out initially.

I really have to marvel at the genius of Apple to start soldering the ram. I understand it helps aid in the overall design improvements, but they had to have known that potential buyers would freak out about not being able to upgrade the ram down the line, therefore wasting endless amounts of money on ram that was never needed to begin with. Brilliant business move.

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO

[year and a half later]

True, except for me I've had my last MBP for just over three years now which was upgradeable and I took advantage of that fact. The only reason I'm considering a new machine is not because of the latest and greatest, but because my wife has taken it over. Not to mention my use has changed and I find myself working more in video and VMs than coding.

The truth of the matter is that most people can get by just fine with their phone or tablet for what they would normally use a computer for. Mail, Internet, sharing pictures, occasional document. Needing to have the latest and greatest for most people stopped in the C2D days, but I digress from the original.

OP, 8GB should meet your current needs with Photoshop. You will not be sorry if choose to step up to 16GB.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Photoshop is a RAM intensive program. Depending on the file sizes and operations you use, 8GB might not be enough, and might require hard drive swapping, which will really slow down operation. On the other hand, I know graphic professionals who only use Photoshop with 8 GB and claim it's fine.

I use 16 GB with an i7 Mac Mini, and have yet to run out of RAM when using Photoshop. I have, however, run out of RAM when using only Lightroom (another RAM intensive program) and Audirvana Plus (RAM intensive high end audio playback software).

You are the type of user who probably needs at least 16GB of ram.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

[year and a half later]

I'm another one of those who max out everything - but because I need it.

I run at least 4-5 VMs together, heavy Photoshop and also heavy 4K editing.

So yeah. Heavy rendering, encoding.....etc. All those stuff.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm another one of those who max out everything - but because I need it.

I run at least 4-5 VMs together, heavy Photoshop and also heavy 4K editing.

So yeah. Heavy rendering, encoding.....etc. All those stuff.

I don't blame you. Your usage is what the maxed out model is designed for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.