Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I switched from GoodReader to PDF Expert 5 and am very happy with it. It's a huge improvement, and I get a lot of heavy duty productivity work done with it (PDF markup).

I do not have a problem with them charging $10 for the upgrade because Acrobat Pro on my PC is around $400 and this little iPad app does all the same things (at least for what I need).

If you need a solid PDF markup/viewer app plus file storage, this is the way to go. The cost of a beer and a tip is not much to ask for the effort they put into this. Just my two cents.

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
After an extensive (and expensive...) review of several PDF annotater tools including GoodReader, iAnnotate, PDF Expert, Documents, NoteSuite, Sente 6, Papers 3, BookEnds and Mendeley, I found that PDF Expert was the most adequate for my needss.
It's not a references manager and it lacks features for searching and downloading pdf, but it has the best interface for browsing a folder, reading and annotating PDF. I found some problem when using webDAV folders, but it works flawlessly with DropBox.
People who find it too expensive should try first Documents by the same developper. It's a free, stripped down version of PDF Expert but it can be enough for a lot of people.
Now if only they can add multi tags search compatible with Mavericks...

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
People who find it too expensive should try first Documents by the same developper. It's a free, stripped down version of PDF Expert but it can be enough for a lot of people.
Now if only they can add multi tags search compatible with Mavericks...

Agreed. I paid for PDF Expert on my iPad and just put the free Documents on my iPhone. Because on my phone I only need to save/look at PDFs, while saving the heavy lifting for my iPad.

RichardRBarrett

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Page turning when zoomed in in PDF Expert 5

Hi,

I just upgraded to PDF Expert 5 and it seems like they've broken page turning when zoomed in -- you have to zoom back out before you can tap to turn. Since I manage a lot of book-length PDFs, this is inconvenient to say the least, and it worked just fine on the previous version. I contacted Readdle via the PDF Expert support e-mail address, and got a response that was not entirely clear, but seemed to suggest this had been intentionally disabled for v5. Anybody have any insight into what's happening here, or if there's a trick that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Richard

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Relatively new user of PDF Expert - Got a few questions

Hi all,

I have been using PDF Expert for sometime now (earlier on my iPad 4 and now on the Air). I don't use Dropbox - I use SkyDrive instead which is where all my PDF files are stored.

Till the v5 update, PDF Expert seemed easy enough to use. But after the update there are a couple of questions that have come up. Please bear in mind that the iPad is the only Apple device I use so I am not familiar with how file systems work on iOS devices - I am used to the Windows file system method.

That out of the way, I have two questions:

First, I find that when I add SkyDrive to PDF Expert, I am asked for access to my Outlook account's contacts, emails etc. I had emailed PDF Expert/ Readdle about this and they got back to me saying that this had something to do with the APIs that MS has in place. But I was also informed that I can withdraw these privileges by going into the web-interface of SkyDrive. Well, I can't because there is nothing in the web-interface that allows it. There is also nothing in the SkyDrive app (for iOS, which I use) that allows this. So, (1) is this normal? And (2) how to withdraw these what I think are unnecessary privileges?

Second, when I do sync PDF Expert to my SkyDrive account, it invariably fails. I have sent Readdle an error report on this. So, I'll wait to hear back from them about this. But in the meantime, I want to know this - does PDF Expert download everything from the SkyDrive account? It appears to be so because even when the sync fails, when I look at the size of the app in Settings on my iPad, it is around 11GB!!! So, my question is: How can I get PDF Expert to only selectively download/ sync specific files from SkyDrive? I don't want to sync all of my SkyDrive folders because there is more than 60GB of documents there and my iPad is only a 32GB one. By way of comparison, on my Surface 2 (which is a 64GB device), I can identify which specific folders I can view offline and only those are saved. Additionally, I can even specify where to save the files/ folders (in my case, since I have an additional 64GB MicroSD card, I have the files/ folders saved there thus saving space on my internal storage.

Third, say I have made some highlights on a PDF while reading it on PDF Expert. I want to save those highlights permanently regardless of the device I use to read it. Can this be done? If yes, how? I have tried this, but it does not seem to work (most likely because I am doing something wrong). Note that this happens when I am NOT synching PDF Expert to my SkyDrive account.

Fourth, is it possible to save PDFs on the iPad which I can later open using any app (say PDF Expert or iAnnotate)? If yes, (1) how to do it? And, (2) where are these documents saved?

Fifth, how to manage documents within PDF Expert? Currently, under Settings> Usage, PDF Expert shows that it contains 450megs of data. I want to know what precisely constitutes this amount of data. I can't do this via the above path - it only gives me an option to delete the app. So, how can I know which files are in the app and what is the size of each file?

Thanks in advance.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi all,

Third, say I have made some highlights on a PDF while reading it on PDF Expert. I want to save those highlights permanently regardless of the device I use to read it. Can this be done? If yes, how? I have tried this, but it does not seem to work (most likely because I am doing something wrong). Note that this happens when I am NOT synching PDF Expert to my SkyDrive account.

The easiest way is to select "Save a copy" when in a document. Then you can choose "flatten annotations". A copy of your PDF is saved with your highlights permanently in it.

Fourth, is it possible to save PDFs on the iPad which I can later open using any app (say PDF Expert or iAnnotate)? If yes, (1) how to do it? And, (2) where are these documents saved?

You can save your documents in PDF Expert. Then you can use "Open in..." to open a PDF in another app.
The iPad does not have one central storage for all documents, files are saved per app.

Fifth, how to manage documents within PDF Expert? Currently, under Settings> Usage, PDF Expert shows that it contains 450megs of data. I want to know what precisely constitutes this amount of data. I can't do this via the above path - it only gives me an option to delete the app. So, how can I know which files are in the app and what is the size of each file?

Your documents are stored in a directory in PDF Expert.

I don't know Skydrive so I can't help you with that :)

garryl

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
PDF Expert / Acrobat Pro

Hi this is my first thread on Mac forums, but I had to ask a question.

I create forms in Indesign then PDF them out then create form fields in Acrobat Pro for use with PDF Expert on iPad for our agents in the field.

This has been working brilliantly for a couple of years now, but I have hit an issue with the new version 5.

On several of my forms I have a series of radio buttons to select payment methods, the buttons are in two groups (with different choices within)

I have selected the option within the Radio button properties which states
"buttons with the same name and choice are selected in unison"

these buttons are then duplicated (with identical names and choices) on a final 'summary' page within the same multi page PDF so the selections from earlier pages can be reviewed.

when I preview this in Acrobat Pro, it works fine, but in PDF expert 5, the second set of buttons do not populate.

is it something I'm doing??

I have been back and double checked the settings and options several times.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

PadingtonBeer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
PDF editors

Anyone else tried NotablePDF when looking for PDF viewers? its a google chrome extension but if you're already using that on a mac then its found it much more user friendly than Adobe, especially given its collab options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.