Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm currently reading the rest of the 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' - something I've been meaning to do for about 6 years.
I'm about half way through The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and loving it so far. I really enjoy Adams' descriptive writing styles.

What about the rest of you? Any recommendations?

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
"1421" - proposes the hypothesis that Chinese fleets circumnavigated the world & visited the Americas, Antarctica, Australia & NZ before Europeans, and that both Columbus and Magellan used charts that were derived from Chinese originals.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I'm just finishing off the Hobbit for the second time this year. I'm nearly at the end (Smaug is off to the City in the lake).

I'm going to re-read the harry potter books next.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Journey to the end of the night

by L F Celine. (Again!) A flawed masterpiece but nevertheless astounding literature. Full of bile and humour. Devastating observation & wit. If you like Bukowski or Knut Hamsun this book is essential reading.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kiwi-in-uk said:
"1421" - proposes the hypothesis that Chinese fleets circumnavigated the world & visited the Americas, Antarctica, Australia & NZ before Europeans, and that both Columbus and Magellan used charts that were derived from Chinese originals.

Wouldn't surprise me, there are european artifacts on our northern coasts that date back to the 1500's - long before our supposed discovery in 1770. China is a hell of a lot closer than Europe and these guys had an amazing grasp of astronomy from very early on.

I'm currently reading Steve Waugh's tome of an autobiography "Out of my Comfort Zone." It's an 801 page epic telling of what seems to be everyday of one of our best cricket captains, it's really not a bad read, surprised me. It's a Christmas present for my Dad, waited in line for 2hours to have it signed and I had to read something in the line... so now I figure I'll finish it well before Christmas rolls around so why not have a flip through eh?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
'The Line of Beauty' by Alan Hollinghurst.

I have just gorged myself on the Culture sci-fi novels by Iain M Banks, so I thought I should go for something a bit more literary this time.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Now that I've finished school (YAY!), I've started on a few books:

-Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I only ever got a chance to read it once)
-Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
-The Latham Diaries (just to keep it slightly intellectual lol)

There's also quite a few more on my list to read, like: Pride and Prejudice, The Belgariad and Malloreon Series (just because they're great) and whatever else I can find.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Will Cheyney said:
All old! I'm guessing most people have finished those books now :p

True, I've finished The Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louve. If you have children you should definitely read this!

Now I'm Reading Popular Mechanics,
The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1, 700 Things for Boys to do.

Boys at the turn of the century had all the fun!:rolleyes:

Some Projects: Complete Homemade Gasoline Engine, How to build a glider, working lead cannon, and some benign projects like making a cutting board or How to Make a Box Kite.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
florencevassy said:
I am reading 'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!' (Adventures of a Curious Character)

Very entertaining. When I finish this I will try to find the time to read his other books and lectures.

Have not read this book, but I did read a biography of him by James Gleick last year - he was a fascinating man. I also ordered the Feynman Lectures on Physics from Amazon after I finished (£70 :eek: ), but haven't quite got around to reading them

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
The Maya & Mental Ray manuals at this point. :eek: Wish I had more time to read fiction.

My all time favorite is Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon . I've read it 3 times will go for 4 someday. It's an very complex and surreal book, one that takes more than 1 reading to understand it. My other favorite is just about anything from Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker or Skinny Legs and All.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Maybe we should change the title of the thread to Books You are Reading: November

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Kernow said:
Have not read this book, but I did read a biography of him by James Gleick last year - he was a fascinating man. I also ordered the Feynman Lectures on Physics from Amazon after I finished (£70 :eek: ), but haven't quite got around to reading them

I will check out that biography too. £70 , wow. A friend of mine has some of the Lectures on Physics on CD - he was a very good lecturer. He lived in my town for a while (Princeton) so it is especially interesting for me.

I think Books you are reading - {MONTH} is a great idea....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.