Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iTunes 11.3, including several improvements to iTunes Extras, including new features for HD movies. This new content will be added automatically to previously purchased iTunes movies for free.

Alongside the launch of iTunes 11.3, Apple has also announced that the Apple TV is finally supporting iTunes Extras with the 6.2 software update released late last month. The first-generation Apple TV supported iTunes Extras, but the feature was lost when Apple revamped the Apple TV back in 2010.

Finally, Apple has also announced that iTunes Extras will be coming to iOS with the public release of iOS 8, which is slated for this fall.

itunes_extras_banner.jpg
iTunes 11.3 includes all-new iTunes Extras for HD movies. iTunes Extras can include behind-the-scenes videos, short films, high-resolution image galleries, director's commentary, scenes, and more. These immersive iTunes Extras can also be enjoyed on Apple TV with Software Update 6.2 now, and will be available on iOS 8 this fall.

New iTunes Extras will be automatically added to your previously purchased HD movies as they become available - at no additional charge.
iTunes 11.3 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store or Apple's iTunes web page.

Update: Apple has added a feature page [iTunes Store] to the iTunes Store highlighting iTunes Extras and compatible movies. The page also includes a promotional video for iTunes Extras.

Article Link: iTunes 11.3 Expands iTunes Extras as Apple TV Finally Adds Support and Apple Plans for iOS 8

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Does it include making iTunes match no longer suck?

No?

Oh well...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Finally, good to see iTunes Extras on the Apple TV.

Though wondering HOW iTunes Extras will work on iOS...will it be yet another Apple App or within Videos or somewhere.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
This is fantastic. Installing now, but I'm wondering how the iTunes Extras will work? Will it automatically begin to download HD versions of the iTunes Extras content I have now? Will the Extras themselves be modified with new content (depending on the movie and studio)? Will I be notified of what's new in any way?

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Good news on Apple TV and iTunes Extras. Only got a couple of films with them myself, mainly though redemption codes in BluRay packs i.e. Prometheus.

Now for iTunes LP on iOS/iPad please?

BillabongJoe

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
Every time there is an update to Apple TV it just makes me think that a major refresh is further away, which makes me sad :(

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I just wish it wouldn't crash on me and wouldn't have issues with sporadic home sharing and pausing during video playback during home sharing

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Seems like iTunes is due for an overhaul, from the ground up... Maybe it's just me, but it feels clunky as it has grown to do much more than music...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seems like iTunes is due for an overhaul, from the ground up... Maybe it's just me, but it feels clunky as it has grown to do much more than music...

Due for an overhaul is an understatement. :eek: I'm glad I rarely have to use it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

It should do all it does right now, but they should do a rewrite. It became way too slow for an app this important and frequently used.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
what are the chances of iTunes and thus iOS getting native support for non MP4 video formats ?

Or is this already possible and I'm just ignorant on the matter (which is highly possible)

-RJ-

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Norway

Well, they didn't show iTunes on WWDC, and the new, red icon we saw when they showed Yosemite is not present in the developer's preview.. iTunes might be the only program which still has the old 3D-looking traffic light buttons in DP3.. So maybe a rewrite for the fall release of OS X?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It is really great we can soon enjoy these truly immerse extras across all our devices. I for one am happy with this news and it's a big advantage of being invested in Apple's platforms when buying and consuming content.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Great. Now how about letting rentals access them?

what are the chances of iTunes and thus iOS getting native support for non MP4 video formats ?

Or is this already possible and I'm just ignorant on the matter (which is highly possible)

Next to none.

Well, they didn't show iTunes on WWDC, and the new icon we saw on the Yosemite preview is not present in the developer's beta.. So maybe a rewrite for the fall release of OS X?

I wouldn't expect a rewrite, just a Yosemite UI makeover.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
"New iTunes Extras will be automatically added to your previously purchased HD movies as they become available - at no additional charge." I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to have 300GB of iTunes Extras downloads waiting in my queue when I get home that I can't get rid of?

I hope they finally made it so it's an option to NOT download the extras with a purchased movie, or have it sit in your DL queue forever, begging to be downloaded every time you connect to the store. I just want the movie, not the rest of that crap hogging my bandwidth and hard drive.

I've been enjoying not having to navigate menus and extras and previews. I just wanna watch the damn movie. /rant

Last edited:

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
I have never even heard of iTunes extra...what a crock of crap this is. Bring us the features we ask for!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
It is really great we can soon enjoy these truly immerse extras across all our devices. I for one am happy with this news and it's a big advantage of being invested in Apple's platforms when buying and consuming content.

I wonder if this is in part due to Disney's Movies on the Go app, or whatever it was. That linked to your iTunes account and allowed viewing on Extras on the iOS devices.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
itunes extras in iOS available for iPhone 5c , iPhone 5s, iPad mini with retina, and iPad air with retina

place your bets :(

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Does it include making iTunes match no longer suck?

No?

Oh well...

It normally can get my music to the cloud and after that it does it's job decently.

Though yes, I wish we would see more updates for match.

The music app on ios should work better with it, we should see more controls updating what is in the cloud. And perhaps a web based version to keep iTunes from getting even more bulky.

I would love to be able to bring up icloud.com and stream my itunes library from anywhere. Perhaps jump in quality of music, a specific feature to retrieve either explicit or non-explicit versions of a song, how hard is it to offer that as a right click in iTunes?

iTunes match still feels half done, though my library is to big to not have it nowadays.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Still nothing WOW about this... Apple should open up for local app's like Smart TV's has been doing for the last 3 years

Living in the US AppleTV is cool. Outside of the US it's close to useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.