Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
What should I use, apple leather case, lifeproof nuud, otterbox symmetry or seidio surface ? Plus do I need screen protector ? I see so many reviews on how peeps don't use a case or screen protection and the phone holds up well , what do u use and what should I use lol thanks

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I've never had a screen protector on my iPhone and haven't got any scratch for like 3 years now. So no, you really don't have to put some ugly plastic crap with bubbles on your beautiful phone at all. But the choice is up to you. If you feel safer with that piece of plastic, then buy it. Otherwise, don't.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I use otterbox, with a screen protector. They work well for me. I work in an office, so there is no real "danger" for my phone, but it's still in my pocket for most of the time.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I use a screen protector because I work around clumsy people.

iLoome screen shield and Spigen Slim Armor S/ Ultra hybrid. My whole set up cost around $40 that's for two cases and a screen shield. :)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Case helppppp

A case with a raised front lip (0.5, 1.0mm or more) and you probably need no screen protector. Any of those cases give that.

A case with no lip? Think about a screen protector. A plastic screen protector is soft and will scratch more easily that the phone's screen. So you will wind up replacing it.

For ANY case without screens just be aware where the screen is or next to. If that little bit of caution is too much worry, get a screen.

LifeProof and Otterbox are a bit too much case unless you are working in a rough job and very clumsy. I only use my LifeProof Fre while fishing in the water or beach stuff.

Apple case is fine, but will get dirty looking fast and probably break if you remove the case every day or week.

Don't rub sand or dirt on screen while cleaning as that WILL scratch screen. Lightly blow it off first. Beware of diamond or zirconia earrings too. Carry a micro fiber cloth and use that to clean the screen. Wash the micro fiber now and then.

If you're a guy with phone in a clean empty front pocket and a case above you're fine. If a women keeping phone in purse with other junk, a screen protector may be advisable.

A phone with no case, dropped, with show damage over time. Just like any thing else.

A case with 1-2 mm of thickness on each side is enough protection for the average person. Of any material.

The exact case is then your personal preface, with the above guidelines, the 'law of averages' are on your side and damage is unlikely.

Spigen makes nice cases. But anything will work. My wife and I have the same case. I have no screens and she does.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I use the screen protector because you never know what might happen. I've had it sitting on the center console of the car and it will fall to the floor. I've actually dropped my iPhone just after pulling it out of my pocket. lol or forgot that it was inside my pocket and put keys with it.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I use the screen protector because you never know what might happen. I've had it sitting on the center console of the car and it will fall to the floor. I've actually dropped my iPhone just after pulling it out of my pocket. lol or forgot that it was inside my pocket and put keys with it.

That's exactly why you should use it. You never know what will happen.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
71bGfylAJeL._SL1500_.jpg

It's not one of the cases you mentioned in the thread but this one comes with a screen protector AND a case for 10 bucks so I thought it would be worth the value. Hope it helps :)

http://www.amazon.com/Obliq-Kicksta...d=1403289230&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+5+skyline

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014

kaimaikid

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
The aliexpress ones have to ship from china, though. So be wary of the shipping time. Usually takes about a month to arrive for most of their stuff

took 7 days to New Zealand (just across from Australia for those who don't know :p )

Just arrived this week .....

Draco Ducati Cleave with Spigen 0.23mm nano glas tr screen protector and it looks rather sexy.... :cool:

The red is more of a dark maroon than a candy apple red and imho looks far better than the pic

draco5-ventare-ducati-red-3.jpg

am getting a glass back protector for it too :apple:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
took 7 days to New Zealand (just across from Australia for those who don't know :p )

Just arrived this week .....

Draco Ducati Cleave with Spigen 0.23mm nano glas tr screen protector and it looks rather sexy.... :cool:

The red is more of a dark maroon than a candy apple red and imho looks far better than the pic

am getting a glass back protector for it too :apple:

I really dont like the "Draco design" on the side of the phone, though... ruins it for me.

jamespoulsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
I've never had a screen protector on my iPhone and haven't got any scratch for like 3 years now. So no, you really don't have to put some ugly plastic crap with bubbles on your beautiful phone at all. But the choice is up to you. If you feel safer with that piece of plastic, then buy it. Otherwise, don't.

3 years with no protection and no scratches ? You must be incredibly careful or you never take it out of the living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.