Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
And a fairly bad example to due to the costs of the technology they use in their products. Soon, the technology will bring batteries with better cost/performance to the industry (I hope) and the cost for a Tesla will go down so more people can afford them...
The goal is still a $30k car by 2016.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
For now. But as Robots become more advanced, more adaptable, with better AI, and more self-awareness, the need for any human involvement will be less and less.

It's interesting that you mention unionized employees, because this raises some ethical issues.

Do we allow the robots to unionize? Should robots get similar rights to human employees? Can robots be paid? Should they be given time off for rest and recreation? Is it fair that robots toil as, essentially, slaves while humans lead a hedonistic life of leisure and luxury?

We're still a few years/decades away from this, of course. But failure to come up with satisfactory solutions to these questions could be disastrous.

Bender is that you? Pretty cool you found a time machine that travels backwards.

Seriously -- if you were serious -- could be joking, but not sure -- robots are machines without souls or emotions. The concept of "robot rights" is comical and suitable only for parodies and sci-fi. No, I do not cry at night because I force my backup drive to spin for hours capturing my day's work. Put fake appendages on it, a couple of blue eyes and a smile. It's still not a living creature much less human.

HOWEVER, the 'best' cars and the 'best' appliances are still made one-at-a-time 'by hand' which seems to mean that there is no substitute for the 'old fashioned' way of manufacturing things, except for the cost.

Yeah, except the cost. Few people can afford exotic cars or ultra high end appliances. Those are 1%ers. The whole point of using robotics is to keep costs down to make mass market products more affordable so the 99% can have good products too, just not on the same level of luxury.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
HOWEVER, the 'best' cars and the 'best' appliances are still made one-at-a-time 'by hand' which seems to mean that there is no substitute for the 'old fashioned' way of manufacturing things, except for the cost.
"Best" is a subjective word. I'd prefer a car/appliance I can afford, was built using processes that ensured it was done to the manufacturer's specifications and I don't want to be on a long waiting list to receive one.

Automation enables the scale to give me all of those things, not to mention allowing the humans to do jobs that are more important/rewarding.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
With the amount of money invested, they should buy empoyees new face masks. Look how dirty that woman's mask looks. Almost blackened. I'll play the extra dollar for my Apple products: give the employees proper protection.

That's a charcoal filter mask. That's what it's supposed to look like.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's a win-win situation for Foxconn and Apple. The robots don't commit suicide, they don't need to be paid a pittance, they don't have a need for human rights, they don't need to have a comfort break (or eat) and they already have no soul. Perfect for making the richest company in the world even richer !

Well, number of Foxconn suicides in the last two years is much lower than leukaemia deaths at Samsung (guess what: Suicide nets actually work. San Francisco thinks they are too expensive, after more than 2000 deaths). Foxconn pays about the highest wages that you can get for factory jobs in China. Apple has released lots of information what they do about human rights in China since 2007, like forcing employment agencies to pay back millions of dollars to workers, making companies pay for underaged workers to go back to school, and so on.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
So it costs less, but is more expensive?

The biggest reason, to me, is that the Chinese ethos is perfect for repetitive task manufacturing. They are born to excel. They are born to labor six and seven days a week for double digit hours. They are born to shun such luxuries as a separate car for all adults, separate bedrooms, quality food in quantity, labor laws, environmental laws, the ability to breath the air. They respect authority and it's ingrained in them. So is the level of corruption that exists in China.

Put an American into that environment and they will decompensate. They will start deliberately producing bad parts to 'get back at the man', they will demand breaks, and quotas for pieces made. They will start carping about 'quality of life'...

China was 'the place' for manufacturing because of their ethos, their society reinforces blind adherence to authority, and in America, we are (or were) raised to question authority. Questioning authority does not lead to compliant workers...

Our heads filled with sitcoms and other detritus also doesn't prepare us for a prosperous future either.

Your question is confusing to me. Not sure what you mean. But your point about cultural ethos is correct, IMO.

The point of my post, however was that pure employee labor costs is not the main reason US companies manufacture in China, or Asia at large. The real reason is the adaptability of Asian manufacturing companies. They can, and will retool on a moment's notice, and have a new manufacturing process on line much faster and cheaper than any US manufacturer is able (willing?) to do. And they also have a ready workforce that can be expanded and contracted quickly and efficiently.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
For now. But as Robots become more advanced, more adaptable, with better AI, and more self-awareness, the need for any human involvement will be less and less.

It's interesting that you mention unionized employees, because this raises some ethical issues.

Do we allow the robots to unionize? Should robots get similar rights to human employees? Can robots be paid? Should they be given time off for rest and recreation? Is it fair that robots toil as, essentially, slaves while humans lead a hedonistic life of leisure and luxury?

We're still a few years/decades away from this, of course. But failure to come up with satisfactory solutions to these questions could be disastrous.

You seem to have absolutely no idea what industrial robots are. Industrial robots will never be 'self aware'. Even if we, someday, build 'general purpose' robots, industrial robots will never be designed to 'think' or to be 'self aware'.

----------

I was into robotics in the early days. A robot is only as good as the person programming it, and a slight offset or flaw replicates across many items. Robots do tend to increase employment somewhat. Lower skilled workers to feed them, and higher skilled workers to fix them and program them. Gone forever, somewhat, is the guy that used to actually make the part that the robot now pounds out.

Cars have steadily become more reliable with much lower cost of ownership and this is due almost entirely to the use of industrial robots in their assembly.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I bet when Apple starts firing their millions of Chinese employees China throws them out of the country.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Well, number of Foxconn suicides in the last two years is much lower than leukaemia deaths at Samsung

Not to defend either company, but in the last two years, I think it's three Foxconn suicides to zero Samsung leukemia deaths.

Longer term, over the past eleven years it's been about 21 Foxconn suicides, to 2 Samsung leukemia related deaths so far.

Corrections welcome.

(guess what: Suicide nets actually work. San Francisco thinks they are too expensive, after more than 2000 deaths).

San Francisco recently decided to put up a suicide net at the Golden Gate Bridge.

(One of the programmers I used to work with, died jumping from it, after he was caught using a backdoor option to win more money with electronic games.)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The volumes in which they hire are simply mind blowing
So they spend 25K x 10,000 -

Yes but even China is running out of workers. So they have to spend 1/4 billion dollars on robots. Actually the over all effect is to raise the productivity of their workforce. They have to because the cost of workers is going up so they make capital investments to increase productivity.

When you compare the number of new hires to the cost of the robots the cost per employees is only $2,500. That is very low for any kind of business.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You seem to have absolutely no idea what industrial robots are. Industrial robots will never be 'self aware'. Even if we, someday, build 'general purpose' robots, industrial robots will never be designed to 'think' or to be 'self aware'.

Sure, go on believing that if you want to. But don't come crying to me when the revolution begins.

The issue of fundamental rights and liberties for non-organic workers needs to be addressed sooner, rather than later.

Before its too late.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Sure, go on believing that if you want to. But don't come crying to me when the revolution begins.

The issue of fundamental rights and liberties for non-organic workers needs to be addressed sooner, rather than later.

Before its too late.

I'm sure the carpenter's nail gun is going to be demanding coffee breaks and health care.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
so, how long before we get a picture of a robot wearing latex gloves, a hairnet and face mask??

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Nice...

It's actually an activated carbon (charcoal) face mask (it may be just gray color, but given the prevalence of the AC masks in China's manufacturing personnel it's likely the charcoal ones).

You're right, thank you for the clarification.

I'm happy, employees are being protected.

Charcoal Filter Face Mask

activated_face_masks_other02_bmd.jpg

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Change is coming in China, this is but the beginning.

It would seem for once that robotics are more cost effective than actual persons, even as "supporting roles." That cheap labor pool must not be as cheap anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens when Foxconn no longer needs 400-500k of it's workforce due to automation.

It will probably impact on Australia, who economy is held up by the strength of China. Chain's unemployment rates go up, economy tanks, so on and so forth.....

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Robots will have to be paid, and taxed. The proceeds will be needed to make up for taxes not paid by unemployed people. The beauty of this is that the robots can be taxed 100%. They don't care. We won't have to work at all, supported by robots working for us 24/7.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
"Best" is a subjective word. I'd prefer a car/appliance I can afford, was built using processes that ensured it was done to the manufacturer's specifications and I don't want to be on a long waiting list to receive one.

Automation enables the scale to give me all of those things, not to mention allowing the humans to do jobs that are more important/rewarding.

True. So robots are replacing the worker. Crap...

----------

Your question is confusing to me. Not sure what you mean. But your point about cultural ethos is correct, IMO.

The point of my post, however was that pure employee labor costs is not the main reason US companies manufacture in China, or Asia at large. The real reason is the adaptability of Asian manufacturing companies. They can, and will retool on a moment's notice, and have a new manufacturing process on line much faster and cheaper than any US manufacturer is able (willing?) to do. And they also have a ready workforce that can be expanded and contracted quickly and efficiently.

They go hand-in-hand. The ethos, and the flexible manufacturing. American companies have tried to do 'flexible', but their idea usually ends up being slapping a different sticker on the side, or having more than one line and having one sit idle.

If anything, it's the management ethos of American business schools that has hobbled the American worker. And as long as those management teams have the ear of the monied lobbyists and politicians, nothing will change.

I just remember the first time that a company announced a massive layoff and their stock surged.

We do live in interesting times...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.