Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Funny I came across this thread ... I tried my new French Press today and was sending a pic to a friend so I thought I'd share here too. The beans I used were also new to me Kicking Horse - Kick Ass (Dark). https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/store/coffee/kick-ass-dark. I was blown away - it was the best coffee I've ever had to date. I even had a few sips without adding a splash of cream to it which I never do - the flavour was that good!

Hey! WELCOME fellow coffee crazy. That's a nice little set up...I used to have the Bodum press and liked it both as a coffee producer and the visual aesthetic.

Thanks for the coffee suggestion, I'm sure that it will be picked up by the other denizens of this Thread Of Coffee Insanity!

Take care...this thread can be death on your wallet!:p

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Now...don't be mean! Some people put stuff in their coffee. We need to encourage those folks try to drink it straight...not mock their foibles! :p

See, you went after his (I assume "his") wallet. I just went after his taste buds......

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Only in the coffee threads, please. ;). Otherwise, what else will I post out there?

Welcome BenTrovato! You're in good hands here. :cool:

Haha no worries... thanks for the welcome!

I do put a splash of coconut cream in my drip coffee... but in terms of espresso, I believe it must be enjoyed in its pure form :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Haha no worries... thanks for the welcome!

I do put a splash of coconut cream in my drip coffee... but in terms of espresso, I believe it must be enjoyed in its pure form :)

Aaahh...a man after my own heart!:D

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of equipment do you use in your espresso set up?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I hope you like it. It closely fits what you said you are looking for, and Stumptown is a great small-batch roaster. Sweetness on the end and major aromatics.

Your posts are always a source of great information. Always a pleasure reading them.:D

Now, however, about your delusional belief that the first fews seconds of a grind differ from the last few seconds...we have medications available now for that problem!:eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A tale to tell: I arrive home from several continents away - for a break of around a week - to find almost all of the coffee consumed. You will commiserate with me, no doubt. At least, my friends, I expect you to.

I have no quarrel with anyone who visits the house when I am away consuming my coffee. They are welcome to it, with my blessing - after all, it is there to be consumed. Indeed, I have no quarrel with them consuming all of my coffee….but it would be nice if they thought to replenish - just a little of it - occasionally, so one does not arrive home to bare cupboards….cupboards bare of coffee, that is….

Fortunately, (and never, never mock the needs of those of us who do not roast our own, or do not grind our own), I found a single, solitary (preground) bag from Intelligentsia in a box of their stuff which I had ordered ages ago, (well, quite some time ago).

Guys, needs must. You have your fifteen second rule; time is very elastic in my life. Indeed, I must tell you - without shame or any element of guilt - that I almost hugged that bag, and the coffee it made was delicious - to my taste today, at any rate……..

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A tale to tell: I arrive home from several continents away - for a break of around a week - to find almost all of the coffee consumed. You will commiserate with me, no doubt. At least, my friends, I expect you to.

I have no quarrel with anyone who visits the house when I am away consuming my coffee. They are welcome to it, with my blessing - after all, it is there to be consumed. Indeed, I have no quarrel with them consuming all of my coffee….but it would be nice if they thought to replenish - just a little of it - occasionally, so one does not arrive home to bare cupboards….cupboards bare of coffee, that is….

Fortunately, (and never, never mock the needs of those of us who do not roast our own, or do not grind our own), I found a single, solitary (preground) bag from Intelligentsia in a box of their stuff which I had ordered ages ago, (well, quite some time ago).

Guys, needs must. You have your fifteen second rule; time is very elastic in my life. Indeed, I must tell you - without shame or any element of guilt - that I almost hugged that bag, and the coffee it made was delicious - to my taste today, at any rate……..

Thank goodness some coffee was found! Never mind any Rule of 15s...the real rule is - any port in a storm.

And to use someone's coffee (acceptable), but not to replenish it (UNACCEPTABLE) requires stern discipline of the miscreant(s)!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Oh no! I'm glad you found the one bag to ease the pain of finding all the other coffee missing!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Now, however, about your delusional belief that the first fews seconds of a grind differ from the last few seconds...we have medications available now for that problem!:eek:

No, no, I'm serious. Trust me. It's true. In fact, the REAL espresso aficionados have 15 grinders lined up, one next to the other, and make a ristretto by taking only the first 1.7 seconds of the grind from each grinder and combining them to make one pull. Buy this and examination will PROVE that I am right.

;)

I almost hugged that bag, and the coffee it made was delicious

I'm having trouble with the concept that anyone could find shame in hugging a bag of coffee. Really? Having myself just returned from a rather long trip and 14 hour plane flight.....this morning there was much hugging in the Kurwenal Coffee Bar.....trust me.

Hug away, friend.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
No, no, I'm serious. Trust me. It's true. In fact, the REAL espresso aficionados have 15 grinders lined up, one next to the other, and make a ristretto by taking only the first 1.7 seconds of the grind from each grinder and combining them to make one pull. Buy this and examination will PROVE that I am right.

I bow low before you, Sir, and accept my ignorance with humble shame.:eek:

An order has been placed for the scanning scope...with expedited shipping!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
An order has been placed for the scanning scope...with expedited shipping!

Hey, at least I found you one in Vermont.

Like our friend Scepticalscribe, my story today involves travel and coffee. My treatments have included some not approved in the US, and despite the recent (and hopefully continuing) good news, Mrs. Kurwenal and I decided to keep an appointment this week at a lovely clinic in Asia. There was decent coffee to be had, but no espresso, and so this morning my three doppios were my first in a week. I have had better tasting espresso before, but none that ever tasted better. I realize that sentence makes no sense the first time you read it......

The drip coffee shop near our hotel (pretty good, actually) has this sign on the front door (with a bonus image of Mrs. Kurwenal's reflection).

14647381053_ff99eff322_o.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank goodness some coffee was found! Never mind any Rule of 15s...the real rule is - any port in a storm.

And to use someone's coffee (acceptable), but not to replenish it (UNACCEPTABLE) requires stern discipline of the miscreant(s)!

My coffee cupboards are (almost) always invariably well stocked. And well stocked with very good coffee. (I'm like that character played by Quentin Tarantino in 'Pulp Fiction' when he observed to Jules, Vincent and Mr Wolf that the coffee was good because he himself chose to buy the 'gourmet' stuff).

Precisely because I always have the 'gourmet' stuff - they - know I have the gourmet stuff, sample question: "why is the coffee in your house always so good?" Because, like Bonnie's husband (Tarantino) it is because I buy the 'gourmet' stuff myself.

And yes, in this context, they - the term 'they' equal brothers, relatives, friends of mother and sundry visiting others - are more than welcome to drink, I certainly don't need to return to cupboards bursting with coffee, but an occasional gesture of replenishment would not go amiss.

Mind you, I can hear the remonstrations already: "But we don't know where you get all that stuff, we wouldn't know what to buy, you mightn't like the cheap stuff which is the only stuff we know.." (An aside: I wouldn't, this is true).

Oh no! I'm glad you found the one bag to ease the pain of finding all the other coffee missing!

Missing as in consumed. Never mind. Needs must, and I found the needful…..

;)

I'm having trouble with the concept that anyone could find shame in hugging a bag of coffee. Really? Having myself just returned from a rather long trip and 14 hour plane flight.....this morning there was much hugging in the Kurwenal Coffee Bar.....trust me.

Hug away, friend.

Thank you all, for your support, sympathy so eloquently expressed and your deep understanding. Needless to say, I knew that this was the only place I could consider posting about this tragic situation (tragic, at least until I went rummaging and found a small, not quite forgotten treasure in the Intelligentsia box) and receive the support and sympathy and appalled supportive expressions of irked annoyance that would be lacking everywhere else.

If there was an emoticon for 'a sigh of happiness' I would post such. yes, let us confess (quite happily) that we can hug a good bag of coffee. My cup of joy (and coffee) runneth over…...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey, at least I found you one in Vermont.

Like our friend Scepticalscribe, my story today involves travel and coffee. My treatments have included some not approved in the US, and despite the recent (and hopefully continuing) good news, Mrs. Kurwenal and I decided to keep an appointment this week at a lovely clinic in Asia. There was decent coffee to be had, but no espresso, and so this morning my three doppios were my first in a week. I have had better tasting espresso before, but none that ever tasted better. I realize that sentence makes no sense the first time you read it......

The drip coffee shop near our hotel (pretty good, actually) has this sign on the front door (with a bonus image of Mrs. Kurwenal's reflection).

Ah, superbly expressed. Now, to my mind, that sentence makes complete sense, grammatically, linguistically, philosophically, and in its sublime contemplation and description of matters relating to espresso;

Indeed, my Intelligentsia coffee this morning exactly matched your perfect description ……..

On a separate but related matter, I hope that the treatments you underwent in Asia are a complete success and I wish you the vey best of luck with them.

And yes, your proffered emoticon expresses my feelings exactly…..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Excellent choice to use the Pulp Fiction scene as an analogy to your own taste in coffee and what you choose to stock in your abode. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.