Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of this new law?

• For it

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • Against it

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
This new law requires slow drivers in the left lane on a Georgia highway, interstate or expressway to move to the right when a fast car approaches them from behind.

Not really smart wording on that law ....

Why not just:
- Everything but the right lane is for overturning only
- Overturning is only overturning when your atleast 7mph faster

You would be suprised how nicely traffic can flow if people stick to those rules (which happens far less often than it should....).

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Perhaps it's a little different when you're under 21. I was born in August 1989, my current Arizona license was issued in March 2014, and it expires my birthday 2054.

That's insane. People's looks change over 40 years. Plus, at least in MO, you have to pass a vision test to renew your license. It's every 6 years here and that seems acceptable.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
That only works in our area when there is little traffic. Which is not often enough.

Also, what do you do if you are driving faster in the left lane than all of the people in the lanes to the right of you when a person comes up behind you, driving even faster than you are? Must you be forced to go into the slower, right lanes? Fastest person must always be catered to? Doesn't seem fair.

My experience either you set your foot off the gas and move over for a second, or wait for an opening ahead and then move for the faster car. Driving isn't fair, its a way to get from point A to point B and if someone is in a rush then they should be able to do so.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
In California a driver in the number one lane going slower than the posted limit can be stopped and cited if they are holding up anyone behind them. However if they're going the speed limit there is no violation. I think that makes sense.

Also on roadways with a single lane in the same direction any vehicle that is holding up five vehicles or more must yield to the right to allow them to pass otherwise it's a violation.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
In California a driver in the number one lane going slower than the posted limit can be stopped and cited if they are holding up anyone behind them. However if they're going the speed limit there is no violation. I think that makes sense.

Also on roadways with a single lane in the same direction any vehicle that is holding up five vehicles or more must yield to the right to allow them to pass otherwise it's a violation.

I took an exhilarating joy ride once on PCH starting from Monterey and ended in San Luis Obispo. Not gonna lie.....I was haulin' ass :D people got out of the at pretty much every turn off....it was glorious. More so, the drive was the highlight.

For those who may not be familiar, and if you enjoy road trips, I highly recommend driving this highway.....it's absolutely breathtaking.

Big_Sur_June_2008.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

That’s a great idea - we have some back roads that are quicker vs. the highway ... unless you get someone driving 15+ miles _under_ the posted limit.

I took an exhilarating joy ride once on PCH starting from Monterey and ended in San Luis Obispo. Not gonna lie.....I was haulin' ass :D people got out of the at pretty much every turn off....it was glorious. More so, the drive was the highlight.

For those who may not be familiar, and if you enjoy road trips, I highly recommend driving this highway.....it's absolutely breathtaking.

Great post, thank you! I love to drive, that’s a location I’ve heard is an amazing driving experience. :cool:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Palmerc2 - Highway One south of the City is beautiful, but I preferred it north from SF to Gualala. It's known as Highway One or Panaramic/Shoreline Highway there. I rode it most every weekend in a group of bikes. You could scrape the pegs on almost every curve. I swore the guys who made Highway One owned motorcycles.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Palmerc2 - Highway One south of the City is beautiful, but I preferred it north from SF to Gualala. It's known as Highway One or Panaramic/Shoreline Highway there. I rode it most every weekend in a group of bikes. You could scrape the pegs on almost every curve. I swore the guys who made Highway One owned motorcycles.

One of these days I intend to drive north of the Bay Area on Hwy One. I've asked folks who've done both (north and south of the bay) and they all prefer north.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
For it with exception.

I think slow pokes should be ticketed, but slow poke has to be defined.

To many times I see someone doing 90 being tailgated by another wanting to drive as fast as humanly possible when the speed limit is in fact 70.

I support this law, but more so I support safe driving. Slowpoke is !== someone speeding less than me but 20 above limit.

Agreed.

Problem with this law is that there's virtually nobody going under the speed limit in the left lane. This just sounds like a way for an ultra aggressive dbag who thinks the left lane is his personal 25 mph over raceway (and who doesn't realize the left lane is technically just for momentary passing) to ride the ass of someone already going 10 over.

Nothing more irritating than someone riding your ass a car length off your bumper when you yourself are already speeding...so to those people, they can F off.

Antares

macrumors 68000
That's what I do on the Interstate. I cruise in the right lane until I hit slower traffic, then I jump to the left. Once I pass the slow moving traffic, I cruise in the right again. If someone even faster come from behind, I merge into the right and let the speedster pass. That way traffic doesn't build up.

My experience either you set your foot off the gas and move over for a second, or wait for an opening ahead and then move for the faster car. Driving isn't fair, its a way to get from point A to point B and if someone is in a rush then they should be able to do so.

That's what I do. I just wasn't sure what the actual proper etiquette is. If there is a lot of traffic, I stay in the left lane. If there is light traffic, I only use the left lane to pass and drive in the 2nd to the left lane. If I am in the left lane and someone comes up behind me, I move over as soon as I can to let him pass, then get back in the left lane.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Will following too close also result in a ticket?

In Maryland, such conduct gets a ticket for aggressive driving.

----------

For it with exception.

I think slow pokes should be ticketed, but slow poke has to be defined.

Simple: If you're in the passing lane and aren't passing traffic, you're a slow poke. Get out of the lane!

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
So you're telling me, when you get your license in AZ at 16 years old, you will will have the exact same card, with the same photo, until you're 56?

Not exactly. You are still required to get a new picture and re-take the vision test every 12 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.