Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Pirates has been named Apple's app of the week, and as a result, it's available for free for the first time since it debuted on the App Store back in December of 2013.

While Assassin's Creed Pirates is not a full-fledged Assassin's Creed game, it lets players take on the role of Alonzo Batilla, a young pirate captain on a quest to complete missions, attack ships, gather booty, and defeat fearsome enemies.

assassinscreedpirates.jpg
Pirates features real-time naval battles on the Caribbean sea with iconic boats from the Golden Age of Piracy. Players can upgrade their ships, their crews, and learn new pirating techniques.
EXPLORE THE IMMENSITY OF THE CARIBBEAN
Sail throughout a vast array of islands as you explore a Caribbean huge map
Enjoy more than 50 story and side missions, search for nearly one hundred treasures and lost parchments and compete with your friends for the highest bounty.

EMBARK ON AN EPIC QUEST FOR A LEGENDARY TREASURE
Live an adventure that will reveal the truth about La Buse's mysterious lost treasure.
Cross paths with Assassins and Templars and take part in their age-old struggle.
Meet the most notorious and colorful pirates of the era, including Sam Bellamy, Ben Hornigold and Blackbeard!
Our sister site TouchArcade reviewed Pirates when it was released, and found both the ship upgrade system and the visuals to be impressive, though gameplay can be a bit monotonous.

As Apple's App of the Week, Assassin's Creed Pirates will be available as a free download from the App Store for the next seven days. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Assassin's Creed Pirates' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
And now the money I used to buy this game some months ago are all gone to waste because now there will be even more in-game crap and you have to pay to do this, or this.

They should atleast offer the ones who payed for the game some kind of in-game reward for paying for the game in the first place.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And now the money I used to buy this game some months ago are all gone to waste because now there will be even more in-game crap and you have to pay to do this, or this.

They should atleast offer the ones who payed for the game some kind of in-game reward for paying for the game in the first place.

They did. They gave you some life experience that everything gets cheaper or becomes free the longer you wait.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

Funny, Asphalt 8 (or 7?) did that. It was cool.

Also, you realize the game is only free temporarily? So why would a game offer freemium stuff after a week of being free?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
downloaded it...well, too big for my phone...deleted it.

I can't keep any "great" graphical games on the phone even at the 32gb size.

Thanks though. now it is in the cloud for DL at another time.,

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Checked it out... In-game "coin" purchases... nope, not going to download.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
How do you find out about the 'App of the Week'? I looked around the app store but don't see any reference to it.

Although I'm not big into gaming I may check this game out to see about the graphics.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
How do you find out about the 'App of the Week'? I looked around the app store but don't see any reference to it.

Although I'm not big into gaming I may check this game out to see about the graphics.
on a side bar on the MacRumors site, and it also comes up in the App Store main page, featured as game of the week.
look again

----------

CRUD, it's been downloading for 10 minutes on my home wifi and it is only 20% complete. My wifi isn 't the greatest (ATT) but this has got to be pretty big.:eek:

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
this whole scam of in-game "coins" should be banned!....just another way for developers to scam people

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
this whole scam of in-game "coins" should be banned!....just another way for developers to scam people

People use the word "scam" too freely :rolleyes: No body forces you, or deceives you, to download the game or to purchase in-game coins. It's optional, and you get to check it out for free temporarily, so stop whining using the word "scam" incorrectly...

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008

To agree with a point brought up earlier, it is not a scam. It is a gamble that developers take to make money on the app that they spent thousands of dollars making. They have to make a game good enough for you to want to purchase said in-app purchases.

Are in-app purchases usually annoying? Sure. Do you HAVE to purchase anything? Absolutely not.

Honestly, the number of people on this forum who always seem to complain about free apps is astounding. People should be savvy enough to know that no one is giving you something for free because they like you. No; it's a wonderful way to entice people to sample your wares. If you like what you are given, great. If you would like to now give them money, even better for them.

But the idea that someone is scamming you is ridiculous and insulting to developers.

Even better, if you don't like free apps because you don't have the self-control to not purchase something in-app, just keep it to yourself. Anyone who whines about the option to pay 99 cents to better enjoy a freaking video game on their $700 pocket computer phone sounds like, and is acting like, a snotty, first-world-problem baby.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
People use the word "scam" too freely :rolleyes: No body forces you, or deceives you, to download the game or to purchase in-game coins. It's optional, and you get to check it out for free temporarily, so stop whining using the word "scam" incorrectly...

Nobody forces you, that's correct. But deception plays it parts if they offer a game for "free" or actual money and what you get is a store, not a game.

UK court ruled as much, slamming the "free" Dungeon Keeper for false advertising.

But that's not even the point. We do expect free games to be like that.

However, very frequently in-game purchases are added to a game in an update. Are you telling me that selling an app and then turning it into a pay-to-win game isn't a scam?

And don't forget: Other than this week, people pay 5 bucks for this game. Nobody expects pay-to-win in a $5 game. I consider that deceptive, as well.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
To agree with a point brought up earlier, it is not a scam. It is a gamble that developers take to make money on the app that they spent thousands of dollars making. They have to make a game good enough for you to want to purchase said in-app purchases.

Are in-app purchases usually annoying? Sure. Do you HAVE to purchase anything? Absolutely not.

Honestly, the number of people on this forum who always seem to complain about free apps is astounding. People should be savvy enough to know that no one is giving you something for free because they like you. No; it's a wonderful way to entice people to sample your wares. If you like what you are given, great. If you would like to now give them money, even better for them.

But the idea that someone is scamming you is ridiculous and insulting to developers.

Even better, if you don't like free apps because you don't have the self-control to not purchase something in-app, just keep it to yourself. Anyone who whines about the option to pay 99 cents to better enjoy a freaking video game on their $700 pocket computer phone sounds like, and is acting like, a snotty, first-world-problem baby.

Don't be so insulting, there is no reason for this and by the way it is a scam. In the past you would buy a game for a specific amount. Now they have invented in-app purchases for apps and for productivity software you have to pay monthly fees. All that said, they are just trying to get your money an a sleesy way, because it seems that the indivudual in-app purchasses or monthly fees seem small; in the long run the software just got more expensive without any reason.

----------

Wish there was an in-app purchase option on macrumors to vote you down....money well spend.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

the minute you say "Are in-app purchases usually annoying? Sure." then surely you are agreeing.

they arent illegal, no one has to play them, but they are very annoying, in general and personally i would prefer to pay a decent amount, even if its 10 euro, for a good enough game.

sometimes its just a way of allowing a trial, so have no problem with a game or an app which you have one in app purchase to unlock features.

sometimes its cosmetic stuff, fair enough.

sometimes they mess it up, like Lets Golf, where a glitch allowed you to pile up the coins without paying.

but otherwise its a real pain, and more than that, people end up paying far more than the game is worth.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Wish there was an in-app purchase option on macrumors to vote you down....money well spend.

The minute they asked you to pay for that in-app to down vote you *voluntarily* downloaded, you'd be whining "SCAM!" like a cry baby.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
on a side bar on the MacRumors site, and it also comes up in the App Store main page, featured as game of the week.

Thanks for the info.

On another note I DL'd the game to try it out. It's a bit slow going as far as player engagement, although I didn't play for long and will revisit it soon.

Question: Does this game require purchases to 'win' or go beyond certain levels, or are in-app purchases optional for playing to completion?

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
a coin is a representation of currency...therefore, if they would like to utilize "coins" then I would like to be able to make a "withdrawal" of my "coins" once I accumulate them....OK maybe the use of the word "scam" is inappropriate but deception is not!

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
This game is great to play on my iPad. It looks pretty good too - can't wait to see what Metal does for mobile games in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.