Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Gmail is free as well, and not attached to an ISP account. Anything could happen in life, you can move to a different area that is not supported by your ISP and your account will be cancelled. Better to not have an email address attached to an ISP.

This is what my parents did, and it caused major headaches when it came to switch providers and then moving to a different country.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I have an account with Yahoo, and account with Hotmail, two accounts with Gmail, and then my iCloud address. They all initially had a purpose, though have since kinda blended together.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
A very, VERY old (>12) year old Yahoo address (used for spam now)
2 Hotmail addresses, one for spam, one for non-important contact with people
1 Gmail for more important contacts (work, etc.), but doesn't get used much now that I have a school email
1 custom domain .edu address that is now run through Gmail (they switched to google sometime when I was a freshman)
1 other custom domain email also run through Gmail

The non-spam Hotmail and the two custom domain emails are synced to Mail. I check the others manually every few weeks but never really find anything of use on them.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
I use iCloud as my primary email address, Gmail for school (Google Drive), Gmail personal for YouTube, and Yahoo which I've had for a while.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've used gmail for a while now, since it was in its exclusive beta days. I loved being able to get a username that I actually wanted, without containing numbers or underscore/dot, just my name.

I also have my own through my own domain and .mac that I check regularly as well my old college @edu address (it was the class '03 "gift" to us, the class of '04). I have an old yahoo one that I check once a year maybe, if that.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
These days I use Gmail and Outlook for just about everything. I do have a Yahoo address but only because I needed it to retain Flickr on Mobile.

I wont bother counting .edu addresses anymore because those simply get forwarded to my Gmail. This is also the case with my Outlook account but I had signed up with the service so I could get my very very common name with no numbers or other crap attached for use on resumes and applications.

For me Gmail is indispensable as my account is connected to a number of services I regular as well as my main line, definitely use those services the most.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
This is also the case with my Outlook account but I had signed up with the service so I could get my very very common name with no numbers or other crap attached for use on resumes and applications.

Same here. I was surprisingly able to get my full name on iCloud and outlook. Gmail was no dice.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My Email provider is Google. They created Gmail as best email provider. :D

But you have to make two email accounts. One for shopping and one for personal stuff. This way your personal box never get flooded spam. The biggest spammers are these new job searching firms. So it might be smart to get a third email address just for job searching and resume posting.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
yahoo and I'm surprised by how many people aren't using it because most people i know use that.
I soured on Yahoo years ago because it was just a cesspool of spam. Never went back. I still have an account but never use it.

Heres one nobosy have mentioned, AOL. :p Had it since 97, use it for website signups and such now. Gmail is my official.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Several. Domains I own, me.com, etc. ultimately end up at gmail usually.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
These days I use Gmail and Outlook for just about everything. I do have a Yahoo address but only because I needed it to retain Flickr on Mobile.

I wont bother counting .edu addresses anymore because those simply get forwarded to my Gmail. This is also the case with my Outlook account but I had signed up with the service so I could get my very very common name with no numbers or other crap attached for use on resumes and applications.

For me Gmail is indispensable as my account is connected to a number of services I regular as well as my main line, definitely use those services the most.

Same here. I was surprisingly able to get my full name on iCloud and outlook. Gmail was no dice.

I got lucky too with my @me and @outlook also, I got my name and an email I also wanted without any numbers.

r i c h

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
California
One personal Gmail account (since the beta days) and 3 business Gmail accounts via Google Apps for Business. I actually find it a bit odd that people use anything other than Gmail these days.

outback1313

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
After years of using Google for search and Gmail for e-mail I made the switch yesterday to Outlook.com for e-mail and Bing for Search.

My decision was that I was unhappy with Google having all of my information, constant marketing, etc.

Remember when Microsoft was Apple's #1 enemy and considered the Evil Empire? Funny now Google is Apple's #1 enemy and the Evil Empire.

Yes Outlook.com is not as good as Gmail, but it will do. Bing is surprising very good. I think I will like it better than Gmail.

My friend has Ymail. Man does that stinks!

Bye-bye Google!

I have heard great things about Windows phones. If they ever get the developer support like iOS and Android have, I would seriously consider one.

I use Windows 7 and absolutely love it. Windows 8 is trash.

My favorite Mac OS was Tiger, but things went down hill after it.

I am no MS fanboy or any other fanboy. I just use what I like and avoid companies like Google that sell all of our information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.