Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, so I've had my iPad (4th gen w/ AT&T data plan) since September 20, 2013. I bought it brand-new directly from Apple via their website. It's my first iPad, but FAR from my first Apple product (probably my 59464865987465th, actually ;)). I went through the initial setup and made sure it was entirely up-to-date before even putting anything on it. So I synced it with my MacBook (mid-2009 white unibody, also completely up-to-date), and I set it to sync all movies, tv shows, podcasts, and photos, as well as contacts. I'm subscribed to iTunes Match, so I set that up on my iPad and tediously downloaded every single song of my several thousand songs from the cloud to my iPad. When it was all done, everything seemed just peachy; the iPad worked like a dream and everything was the way it was supposed to be. Maybe not even two weeks later, I noticed that a LOT of my music, as in dozens of albums or a couple hundred songs, showed up in my album or songs lists as having no artwork, even though they had just had artwork a day ago, but when I tapped any of those songs, the Now Playing screen showed artwork for a random TV show or TV episode that was downloaded on my iPad. I have several TV shows and several seasons, and it's all entirely random, it seems. Just random TV show artwork replacing the album artwork, although when you're looking at the songs on any screen other than the Now Playing or lock screens, it shows as having no artwork. So I restored the iPad and set it up as if it were a brand-new iPad again and re-synced and re-downloaded from iCloud. Within a few days, the same thing happened AGAIN. So I went through my iTunes library on my computer song by song, updating ALL song information including album title, artist, album artwork, genre, EVERYTHING, to the correct information, and I made a copy of it onto a flash drive. I then completely wiped out my iTunes library, re-signed into iTunes Match, deleted all songs from iCloud (which was a long and tedious process), updated iTunes Match so I would basically have an empty iCloud library, and then restored my library and re-matched and re-uploaded EVERYTHING to the cloud. I then completely restored my iPad and set it up as a brand-new iPad, and re-synced it with the shows and everything and re-downloaded the songs from the cloud. This seemed to have been working, as it had been several months and the artwork was all still the way it is supposed to be. Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the problem happened yet AGAIN. I haven't restored my iPad again yet because it didn't seem to help last time, and it was a pain in the butt. However, every single time I've had this issue, I've Googled it like crazy, and I haven't been able to find ANYONE with this same problem. The closest thing I can find out there is simply missing artwork, not changed artwork. The artwork isn't missing, it's been replaced with TV show artwork, and it's only some songs, not all of them, and it all seems random: random songs, random tv show artwork, not specific to any artist or genre or playlist (I actually don't have any playlists). I'm at the end of my rope here, slowly going insane. I'm SUPER OCD when it comes to any of my technological devices, so this is driving me NUTS. :mad: EVERYTHING is correct on my computer, EVERYTHING is correct in iCloud, but a LOT is incorrect on my iPad. I don't understand what's going on. SOMEONE, PLEASE tell me I'm not the only person with this issue, and PLEASE tell me there's a solution for this!!!

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Once more, with paragraphs:

Ok, so I've had my iPad (4th gen w/ AT&T data plan) since September 20, 2013. I bought it brand-new directly from Apple via their website. It's my first iPad, but FAR from my first Apple product (probably my 59464865987465th, actually ).

I went through the initial setup and made sure it was entirely up-to-date before even putting anything on it. So I synced it with my MacBook (mid-2009 white unibody, also completely up-to-date), and I set it to sync all movies, tv shows, podcasts, and photos, as well as contacts. I'm subscribed to iTunes Match, so I set that up on my iPad and tediously downloaded every single song of my several thousand songs from the cloud to my iPad. When it was all done, everything seemed just peachy; the iPad worked like a dream and everything was the way it was supposed to be.

Maybe not even two weeks later, I noticed that a LOT of my music, as in dozens of albums or a couple hundred songs, showed up in my album or songs lists as having no artwork, even though they had just had artwork a day ago, but when I tapped any of those songs, the Now Playing screen showed artwork for a random TV show or TV episode that was downloaded on my iPad.

I have several TV shows and several seasons, and it's all entirely random, it seems. Just random TV show artwork replacing the album artwork, although when you're looking at the songs on any screen other than the Now Playing or lock screens, it shows as having no artwork.

So I restored the iPad and set it up as if it were a brand-new iPad again and re-synced and re-downloaded from iCloud. Within a few days, the same thing happened AGAIN. So I went through my iTunes library on my computer song by song, updating ALL song information including album title, artist, album artwork, genre, EVERYTHING, to the correct information, and I made a copy of it onto a flash drive. I then completely wiped out my iTunes library, re-signed into iTunes Match, deleted all songs from iCloud (which was a long and tedious process), updated iTunes Match so I would basically have an empty iCloud library, and then restored my library and re-matched and re-uploaded EVERYTHING to the cloud. I then completely restored my iPad and set it up as a brand-new iPad, and re-synced it with the shows and everything and re-downloaded the songs from the cloud. This seemed to have been working, as it had been several months and the artwork was all still the way it is supposed to be.

Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the problem happened yet AGAIN. I haven't restored my iPad again yet because it didn't seem to help last time, and it was a pain in the butt. However, every single time I've had this issue, I've Googled it like crazy, and I haven't been able to find ANYONE with this same problem. The closest thing I can find out there is simply missing artwork, not changed artwork. The artwork isn't missing, it's been replaced with TV show artwork, and it's only some songs, not all of them, and it all seems random: random songs, random tv show artwork, not specific to any artist or genre or playlist (I actually don't have any playlists).

I'm at the end of my rope here, slowly going insane. I'm SUPER OCD when it comes to any of my technological devices, so this is driving me NUTS. EVERYTHING is correct on my computer, EVERYTHING is correct in iCloud, but a LOT is incorrect on my iPad. I don't understand what's going on. SOMEONE, PLEASE tell me I'm not the only person with this issue, and PLEASE tell me there's a solution for this!!!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tried googling "ipad artwork messed up" and got a lot of hits. Don't have time to follow the links right now, but hopefully some of the links will provide a solution.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Once more, with paragraphs:

Ahaha. I was in a hurry over a 15-minute break at work. Normally I'm a grammar Nazi and use paragraphs! :p Thanks, ZombiePete! I can always count on someone to give me paragraphs! ;)

----------

I tried googling "ipad artwork messed up" and got a lot of hits. Don't have time to follow the links right now, but hopefully some of the links will provide a solution.

I will try this google search and report back whether or not it was helpful. Thanks! I didn't google in that wording, so perhaps it'll help. :)

Last edited:

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania

Ok, so what I have been able to gather from all these hits is, basically, you can TEMPORARILY fix it by deleting all the music that is currently downloaded on your iPad by going into the usage settings and then re-download all the music from the cloud, but it will only fix it temporarily, and then the problem will come back. One of the older links is from nearly six years ago, and there's STILL no solution...although I'm the only one who has it pulling artwork from my TV shows, it seems. This is frustrating that Apple still hasn't fixed this. I just wish there was a workaround that was more than just temporary.... :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.