Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

capotouchicon.png
A new version of the Apple Design Award-winning Capo, a Mac app praised by professional musicians that automatically generates guitar tablature from music in iTunes, has landed on iOS.

Developer SuperMegaUltraGroovy today released new iPhone and iPad versions of Capo, allowing users to learn how to play songs on the go with chord and beat detection as well as a number of other features to help guitar players learn songs quickly and easily. The Mac version of Capo has been updated as well, with iCloud sync between all devices and improved chord detection accuracy.
Capo touch offers musicians the same power and versatility they have on the Mac with Capo 3 in an even more portable design. The app features the essential tools of instantly importing a song from your iTunes library, automatically detecting its chords, and showing how to play them using helpful guitar chord boxes. It can slow down the tempo without changing pitch while you learn, and transpose the song to any key with a simple pitch slider. Optional metronome, looping, EQ and "karaoke-style" voice reduction make Capo 3 and now Capo touch valuable tools for musicians whether in the studio, rehearsal or on tour.
capotouch.jpeg
Capo touch is available for $4.99 for the iPhone and iPad from the App Store, half off its normal price for a limited time. [Direct Link]

Capo 3 for Mac is available from the Mac App Store for $14.99, half off its normal price for a limited time. [Direct Link]

A previous version of this article implied that Capo had never been available on iOS. There was a prior version of Capo for iOS, but the new version has been completely rewritten, with a new user interface, beat and chord detection, as well as iCloud support.

Article Link: New Version of Capo, an App to Help Guitar Players Learn Songs, Lands on iPhone and iPad

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
import?

Is this app limited to using music from your iTunes library or is it able to import audio from other sources, such as the built in mic, other apps, or a youtube video?

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
This article and headline make it sound like this product has never existed in iOS before. I've been using Capo for iOS almost daily for years it seems.

I'm a little bit annoyed that this is not an update to the version I own and I will need to purchase it again, but it's a great price for a great piece of software, so I will buy.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
Is this app limited to using music from your iTunes library or is it able to import audio from other sources, such as the built in mic, other apps, or a youtube video?

in the mac version basically you can drag and drop the audio files from your system. it doesn't have to be on itunes. i've tested with mp3 and m4a and it's working good. the chords recognition isn't that tight. most chords are a bit out of place, but you can fine tune their position easily and save the project.

Last edited:

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Ukulele support?

Does anybody know if Capo Touch also supports different instruments such as playing cords on the Ukulele? The Mac version does, however there is no information if the iOS version does it as well...

I really hate these new product websites that are one page ads without any real feature list or anything.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I've been using Capo on my iPad for years. This article is poorly worded.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Does anybody know if Capo Touch also supports different instruments such as playing cords on the Ukulele? The Mac version does, however there is no information if the iOS version does it as well...

I really hate these new product websites that are one page ads without any real feature list or anything.

I just bought it. It does have a setting for Ukelele. Also, you can import songs that aren't in your Music library. I was able to import an MP3 from GoodReader to Capo using "open in".

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I didn't like Capo for OS X. I wonder if this is better..
It looks better though

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
So, let me get this straight.

I can drop in a song and it will produce the chords and strumming patterns? I'm confused, based on the screen shots, how this can help me learn to play songs.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I just bought it. It does have a setting for Ukelele. Also, you can import songs that aren't in your Music library. I was able to import an MP3 from GoodReader to Capo using "open in".

Thank you very much!
To bad I can not try it immediately, still waiting for 2 GByte RAM on the IPad...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like a very cool app. I don't see tab on the iOS version, I assume that's on the mac version only?

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
This article and headline make it sound like this product has never existed in iOS before. I've been using Capo for iOS almost daily for years it seems.

I'm a little bit annoyed that this is not an update to the version I own and I will need to purchase it again, but it's a great price for a great piece of software, so I will buy.
I've been using Capo on my iPad for years. This article is poorly worded.
You're right, I didn't make that clear.

I've tweaked the article slightly and added an update to note that there was a previous version of Capo on iOS and that this is new.

thenightwatcher

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
I use a better app than Capo. It's called my ear.

If you need an app to learn a song, get a day job, you're not a musician.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly

I installed a light switch the other day. I guess that makes me an electrician. I also change my own oil, so I guess I'm a mechanic as well.

You may not have a use for this, but that doesn't make it useless. Plenty of people who want to learn music for the sheer joy of it could find this helpful. Not everyone who plays an instrument is trying to quit their day job.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

You do realize that most of their customers probably do have day jobs and aren't professional musicians, right?

Yeah, how dare they create an app for people trying to learn to play music.

mpress03

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Why so harsh?

Everyone has to start somewhere. No one becomes a musician overnight. I have been playing and writing music for both the piano and the guitar for almost 20 years. I can tell you that learning to play by ear is one of the hardest things to learn. If there is an app that can help people learn and practice then what's the problem? You won't learn to play by ear overnight and if you don't enjoy what you are learning to play, then most people are more apt to give up. If this can help people learn the songs they want to learn, it can make the process a little more enjoyable. Also, how can you trash an app and the people that use it and then recommend another app that does essential the same thing?

I have never used the software, but anything that helps people learn to play the music they love gets a thumbs up from me.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

It's very handy for transcribing fast and complex passages. It's also great for learning songs that are in non-standard tunings because you can transpose the recording to match your instrument. If you think these things are only useful for beginners I'd wager you're not much of a musician yourself.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Your ear is not available for my unlimited use for only $4.99.

And you're no businessman, otherwise you would know that the music industry makes gobs of money selling guitars and other instruments and stuff to no-talent students and non-musicians.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
again, really lame that a developer disregards previous purchasers of THEIR app which they ceased development and give no upgrade route...I paid $20 for the previous app...I can tell you when I started using it, I thought it was easy to use and great, but then I discovered Anytune Pro+...check THAT one out...it has tonnes of features and blows Capo out of the water!

thenightwatcher

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
It's very handy for transcribing fast and complex passages. It's also great for learning songs that are in non-standard tunings because you can transpose the recording to match your instrument. If you think these things are only useful for beginners I'd wager you're not much of a musician yourself.

I can already do these things on first listen using my ear and brain. Don't need it. For those that can't, learn. For those that don't want to learn, get this app.

If anyone would like to have the skills to do this, contact me and I'll teach you via FaceTime. I was a music theory major at UNT, and have been performing and touring for years. Be glad to help. It will be more than the $15 app, but having a great ear is absolutely priceless.

Last edited:

cre8or

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
To learn a song I would suggest Rocksmith 2014 or Go PlayAlong.

This app might be useful when transcribing a song, I wonder how well it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.