Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thus far, rumors have pointed to Fall 2014 as the potential launch date of Apple's rumored iWatch, with some analysts predicting September as the likely launch window for the device and others reporting mass production would begin in July. KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo had predicted that the iWatch would enter mass production in late September, but is now revising his prediction to late November instead, due to the difficulties of the project.

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh
We believe developing the hardware and OS of iWatch will be a much more difficult task than for Apple's existing products.
Kuo points out that the iWatch uses many new hardware technologies, like a flexible AMOLED screen, a sapphire crystal cover and a much smaller form factor with higher waterproof standards than other highly advanced Apple devices. Additionally, Kuo notes that redesigning iOS for the iWatch may also be proving a difficult challenge for Apple.

Apple has reportedly been aiming to debut the iWatch at an October event, and has recently hired former Nike FuelBand team members and TAG Heuer's sales director leading up to the expected launch. While there aren't any reports on what the actual device may look like, there have been reports that there could be "multiple versions", which could include watches with up to 10 sensors and a 2.5-inch screen. Apple has also been meeting with athletes to test out the device's fitness capabilities.

With Apple aiming to debut the iWatch in October, it's likely the Cupertino company launches the device well after its debut when production is in full swing, similar to the launch of the Mac Pro. Alternatively, Apple could launch the iWatch in limited quantities and increasing them once production fully ramps up.

Article Link: iWatch Mass Production Might Start in November

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Wouldn't Apple need time for the FCC to pass? That would push the actual release date into next year sometime. I think they have to do it for all new products like they did for the iPad and iPhone.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
If Steve Jobs were alive and healthy, we'd probably see it released in 2014... and iPhones would launch in June.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Wouldn't Apple need time for the FCC to pass? That would push the actual release date into next year sometime. I think they have to do it for all new products like they did for the iPad and iPhone.

I don't think it needs to go to FCC. Definitely has to go to Bluetooth SIG.... but not sure about FCC.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So far it's all sunshine and rainbows.. can't wait until parts leak and I'm repulsed. It's round in my dreams and may or may not have a color screen.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If this rendering, which I know is just speculation, is anywhere close to the final product... Do not want.

I much prefer the bracelet wrap-around style sometimes shown here.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
"iWatch Production Might Start Tomorrow" Analyst Says

I am the Analyst... No seriously my business card says "Systems Analyst"

Can I please be on the front page too?

Edit: I forgot my quote

I believe Apple knows what they're doing and will announce this new product whenever they are ready.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I can see this being a similar case to what happened with the Mac Pro. They'll announce it at the iPhone event but then they'll say something along the lines of 'coming December' or 'coming early 2015'.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Analyst: "July manufacturing, for a September release, for sure!"
(Now where is my pay check?)
Mid-July...
Analyst: Oh umm is it July already? Well I don't want to admit that my guess was wrong.... "Apple is obviously having difficulties. November for sure!"
(Now where is my paycheck? Love my job.)

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Ming Chi Kuo the Nostradamus in technology.

"The greatest predictionist in technology."

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Analyst: "July manufacturing, for a September release, for sure!"
(Now where is my pay check?)
Mid-July...
Analyst: Oh umm is it July already? Well I don't want to admit that my guess was wrong.... "Apple is obviously having difficulties. November for sure!"
(Now where is my paycheck? Love my job.)

To be fair to the guy, he's usually right -- and probably the most reliable Apple analyst around at the moment. It's also very possible that earlier this year Apple was planning to start manufacturing in July and a few months later decided that what they had isn't quite good enough and needed to cook a little longer (edit: no pun intended... seriously).

This is the first major new category of product from Apple since the iPad, and you only get one chance to make a first impression. They can't just release a healthband or notification pusher for your wrist; they need to bring something to the table that blows Android Wear away.

If they release something that's merely "okay" rather than category-defining, we'll have a good 12-18 months of "Apple is doomed" stories from the media.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Thus far, rumors have pointed to Fall 2014 as the potential launch date of Apple's rumored iWatch, with some analysts predicting September as the likely launch window for the device and others reporting mass production would begin in July. KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo had predicted that the iWatch would enter mass production in late September, but is now revising his production to late November instead, due to the difficulties of the project.

Surely this should be 'prediction', eh?

If Steve Jobs were alive and healthy, we'd probably see it released in 2014... and iPhones would launch in June.

Yeah, and we wouldn't have so many comments from people who assert that they can predict alternate futures. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.