Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I have 4 apps in the 'Pending Updates' section of the 'Updates' tab in my iPad App Store app:

a. They won't update, nor is the 'Update' button available next to any of them
b. I don't see the apps anywhere on my iPad
c. When I search for these apps in the App Store, I find them but there is no button available (no 'Free', no 'Download', no button at all)
d. When I plug in my iPad to iTunes, I don't see any apps listed under the 'Apps' tab (but my home screen app configuration - minus those in 'Pending Updates' - shows accurately to the right)
e. When I search the desktop iTunes desktop for the apps that are 'Pending Update', there is a grayed out button that says for 'Download'
f. I do have 'Automatic Downloads' enabled for 'Updates' but not 'Apps' (don't want all my iPhone apps on my iPad)

I've tried the following (none of which have fixed the problem):

1. Power cycle
2. Hard reset
3. Clearing App Store from multi-tasking 'tray'
4. Syncing iPad to my Mac
5. 'Check for Available Downloads' in iTunes (there were none)
6. Purchasing a free app in the App Store
7. Signing in/out of App Store

Any other suggestions welcome - thanks!

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
They could be apps bought on your iTunes account for an Apple device now linked to a different Apple ID. Otherwise it sounds like just a really weird glitch and you might want to contact iTunes support.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
How to fix
( ideas )

Delete the apps from the iPad and re download them from App Store. They will be in purchases. This is free and you do not get charged, as long as you purchased them using your Apple ID.

Or

Run check for updates in iTunes ( you do regularly sync your iPad,right ? ) and sync
iTunes will update the apps, and throw the old versions in the trash and install new versions on your iPad when it syncs.

Right click the iPad and click on transfer purchase to update apps from the ipad to iTunes

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
How to fix
( ideas )

Delete the apps from the iPad and re download them from App Store. They will be in purchases. This is free and you do not get charged, as long as you purchased them using your Apple ID.

Or

Run check for updates in iTunes ( you do regularly sync your iPad,right ? ) and sync
iTunes will update the apps, and throw the old versions in the trash and install new versions on your iPad when it syncs.

Right click the iPad and click on transfer purchase to update apps from the ipad to iTunes

One of the many apps which won't update is LastPass. I really don't want to start over with it. Maybe I'll have to. When I first looked at these apps on iTunes, it said they were pending there too - but I updated them there, without getting rid of the problem on my phone.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
One of the many apps which won't update is LastPass. I really don't want to start over with it. Maybe I'll have to. When I first looked at these apps on iTunes, it said they were pending there too - but I updated them there, without getting rid of the problem on my phone.

if you connect the iPhone to itunes
let it do a backup/sync
click on device
click on transfer purchases
and then delete the app from the iPhone
run updates on apps on iTunes
and then reconnect the iPhone and sync the app back
it should be fine without having to "start over"

you might have to click on
last pass in apps on iTunes and make sure it says "install app"

i think when u transfer purchases it updates the apps from the iPhone to iTunes. and it doesn't seem to do this when you do a regular sync.

i feel that saved documents are also saved to iTunes when you do this

when you back up apps to iCloud i don't think documents under the app are saved to icloud but i never tested it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.