Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safarilogo.jpg
Apple today seeded developers with new versions of Safari for OS X Mavericks (Safari 7.1) and OS X Mountain Lion (Safari 6.2) to parallel continued work on OS X Yosemite. In particular, Apple is asking developers to test general website and extension compatibility for several reasons.
Please test general website compatibility.
- Subpixel rendering is now on by default for all web content. Web sites or in-app web views with extremely tight design constraints may render differently.
- CSS object model getters will return fractional double values based on subpixel layout and rendering metrics instead of rounded integral values.

Please test extension compatibility.
Apple also documents several new WebKit features included in the new versions of Safari including support for WebGL, which allows users to view 3D content without plug-ins. WebGL has been present in Safari for OS X for several years, but is disabled by default. It's clear, however, that Apple is looking to take WebGL mainstream, pushing development on OS X Safari and bringing it to Safari for iOS later this year with iOS 8.

Update: Many non-developers are reporting that the Safari 7.1 beta is even showing up for them in the Mac App Store update section.

Article Link: Apple Seeds New Versions of Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion to Developers

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Strange...I'm not a developer but I got this update pushed to me through the Mac App Store. I did sign up for the Yosemite public beta when it becomes available, but I didn't think that would categorize me as a 'developer'

Jeanne-W

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Orlando ~ close to the mouse
me too, I just logged into safari and got a popup all my extensions have been disabled... what the heck..so I started snooping around and eventually discovered my itunes was updated and I rec'd a seeded developers version of safari.
I have no idea why so how do I go back is there a way or am I stuck with this dev version now that it installed already :(

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Apple accidently indexed the file Safari7.1MavericksSeed.pkg in the file

index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

giving ALL the public with mavericks access to it.

They should have only put it onto the developer and public beta testers index files.

It should not go onto

index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

until safari 7.1 is actually officially publicly released.

This would explain why you are seeing it in your mac app store even if you are not a developer or public beta tester.

Last edited:

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
'Apple looking to take WebGL mainstream.'

Wrong. It hasn't gone mainstream because Apple hasn't implemented the web standard yet. So developers haven't implemented it because of Apple holding out.

There's a difference.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
These updates always make Safari sna– faster for me, but I really wish they'd bring back the Activity Window that listed all the page resources to get their URLs. It was great for downloading videos and such (for personal use!). For some reason, the web inspector doesn't have any similar functionality, and they removed the Activity Window after Safari 5 I think.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Do you think Safari will be sna.... Never mind.

EDIT: Pocket sand beat me to it!!

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Oh come on, Yosemite isn't even out yet, so give Safari for OSX Lion one last update!!! PLEASSEEE

Sadly, you need to use something platform-independent like Firefox to get updates like that. But ironically, the Firefox updates aren't desirable anymore since Firefox 29.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I put a message about it in apple's developer forums and apple acted pretty quickly on it and have now removed the file Safari7.1MavericksSeed.pkg from index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

Hence it is no longer publicly available to everyone. (But is still available to developers via the mac dev center).

Last edited:

Michel Goldberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Hi,
I did the update (hughhh!)
Do you think it might be "dangerous" when a regular update will occur ? Or a system update ?
Best
:(

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Hi,
I did the update (hughhh!)
Do you think it might be "dangerous" when a regular update will occur ? Or a system update ?
Best
:(

Well it might be buggy.

Even though I test this sort of stuff all the time, I once tested a beta of safari for mountain lion before and really didn't like it at all. It annoyed me so much I reverted back to the previous version.

I'm not saying this one will be so buggy, but it might be. So if you are not used to testing betas I would avoid it if I were you.

It won't be long before a public release is available (I mean a proper one!) so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it turns out to be too buggy for you and you have no means of reverting back to the previous version, you could just use a different browser until it is publicly released.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Sadly, you need to use something platform-independent like Firefox to get updates like that. But ironically, the Firefox updates aren't desirable anymore since Firefox 29.

Sadly yes :( admittedly apple has been reasonably good with this, and lion has 6.1.4 which is current as of not too long ago. The bigger problem is that Apple cut off a heap of White MacBooks from mountain lion and above, as they didn't rewrite a driver, thus being stranded on Lion.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Mine auto updated (on my NON developer computer/account) and now my ****ING EXTENSIONS DON'T WORK! This needs to be on the FRONT PAGE as a WARNING!!!!!

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
Apple support indicates you can use the 10.9.4 combo updater to revert to Safari 7.0.5 if you got the update by accident and don't want to keep it. They also confirmed one would continue to get Developer Preview Safari 7.1 updates until the app goes into release state. At that point you'd get the 7.1 final release and would no longer get the beta updates.

One of my machines got the update; one didn't.

I've had no issues so far with the 7.1 beta, so I'm gonna let it ride for the time being.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Apple support indicates you can use the 10.9.4 combo updater to revert to Safari 7.0.5 if you got the update by accident and don't want to keep it. They also confirmed one would continue to get Developer Preview Safari 7.1 updates until the app goes into release state. At that point you'd get the 7.1 final release and would no longer get the beta updates.

One of my machines got the update; one didn't.

I've had no issues so far with the 7.1 beta, so I'm gonna let it ride for the time being.
Well installing the combo update left Safari 7.1 on my machine.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Try uninstalling Safari first. Then use the Combo for Mavericks 10.9.4 which will get you back to Safari 7.0.5.

You can use CleanMyMac 2 to do this.

I don't actually use this program to "clean" my mac. But I got it anyway because it's very good at uninstalling programs (and all associated files).

If you just drag the safari.app file from your Applications folder into the trash and empty the trash, it will only delete the app, not all the associated files. There are quite a lot of them for safari, so manually removing each one will be difficult.

Also, if safari is your only browser I would suggest you download and install an alternative one like firefox or google chrome before you uninstall safari. If something goes awry, you don't want to end up with a computer that has no browser at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.