Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltsabre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help diagnose why my laptop is crashing randomly?

- It's a 15" MBPro Retina (early 2013 model, although I've had it less than a year, I bought it new).
- Mavericks 10.9.3 (and I always keep all my software up to date).
- Got over 100GB free hard disk space left.
- I've run a virus scan using Sophos (just to eliminate the possibility of a virus / malware) but nothing there.

About 6 weeks ago it just started hanging randomly. Everything become unresponsive. First one application seems to crash and I get the spinning wheel. I can move the mouse around and switch to a different running application, but as soon as I do any kind of action (clicking on a menu item for example) it also becomes unresponsive and I get the spinning wheel on that application. When hovering over my top bar icons some get the wheel while others do not, but clicking on anything doesn't launch it. The dock stops popping up, etc.

All in all it becomes totally unresponsive, although I can always move the mouse, it's not like it's a total hang. Only option is to manually power off then on.

Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week or two some days I've had to power off 4 or 5 times...

I seems to start happening around the time I bought some Logitech Z600 bluetooth speakers, although can't say for certainty that it hadn't crashed before I connected them. (Unrelated questions maybe, but the damned speakers are auto-launching iTunes when I power on and I can't figure out how to stop them doing it, maybe that's causing a conflict or something?)
And I guess about a month before it all started I finally got myself set up with an Airport Capsule / Time machine.

So... is there anyway I can check what is causing the initial failure? Logs or something? Any other methods of trying to nail down the culprit???

I've read elsewhere that people seem to have it nailed similar problems down to Chrome. Unfortunately not using Chrome is a MASSIVE problem for me, being a website developer at the very least I need to be able to do cross browser checking, but I do currently use it for a variety of web design related tasks.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Final note, I've turned the speakers off and will see if that makes a difference, but that could take a month to test, as mentioned the computer sometimes goes for 2 weeks without a crash. It would be much better if I could turn the speakers on and view a crash report or logs and see if it is in fact them that's causing the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.