Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:55 AM   #26
MrVinney96
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunapple View Post
Just give it 16GB of RAM to shut people up for the next years to come..
What, just stick a DIMM module in the Lighting port? Yeah why not!
MrVinney96 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:55 AM   #27
SmoMo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfulie View Post
I've never felt that I need more CPU power on my iOS devices thus far while using iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina. I couldn't care less about the CPU performance since it will be more than enough than I'll ever need. I do however feel the need for RAM.
you feel you don't need this, you feel you need something else.
I was reading on the other thread about people who feel they don't need thin phones, and people who feel they need more battery life.

Do you really look at life in terms of needs, and notneeds, instead of things like wants/notwants, or interesting/notinteresting, or opportunities/nonopportunties, or futuristic/oldfashioned etc..

Personally I've always found needs are pretty boring things, and don't seem to have much to do with either what Apple designs, or what Apple consumers end up buying.
SmoMo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:56 AM   #28
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Other than a 20nm die shrink, I'd like to know what other ARM architecture-level improvements are in store. If there are no architecture improvements, I'm wondering if instead of being called an A8, it will be called an A7X. There is precedent for that, though the X has in the past referenced a graphics improvement, Apple has not in the past incremented the processor series for a speed improvement alone.

A4 = Cortex A8 (Single Core)
A5 = Cortex A9 (Dual Core), various clock speeds depending on iPad vs iPhone
A5X = Cortex A9 Dual Core... 2 additional graphics cores.
A6 = Custom instructions loosely equivalent to Cortex A15 (Dual Core)
A7 = 64 bit Dual Core, various clock speeds depending on iPad vs iPhone

It is of course pure marketing, so Apple can do whatever it wants to. But I do think that A7X is a possibility based on this rumor.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:58 AM   #29
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunapple View Post
Just give it 16GB of RAM to shut people up for the next years to come..
Lol, not enough space for that in the phone =P

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVinney96 View Post
Apart from the fact that "DIMM module" is redundant, I agree =P
MacSince1990 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:58 AM   #30
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

Eh?

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite 10.10
SMIDG3T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:59 AM   #31
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
I think we're at the point where iOS hardware is outpacing the software. A8 will be wicked fast (approaching Macbook Air speeds in terms of raw processing power), but there are very few apps that can even use the A7 to its full potential.
More apps could be made to use the full potential of the A7, but then they won't work well on the older devices. As the A7 becomes one of the older devices, then apps will be making the most of it, because the majority of the marketplace will have devices at least that fast.

Also 32-bit to 64-bit will be seen as a line in the sand for developers, like armv6 to armv7 was.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:00 AM   #32
adamw
macrumors regular

Bring it on! Looks like a great processor upgrade!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:00 AM   #33
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVinney96 View Post
http://www.downloadmoreram.com/
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:01 AM   #34
crsh1976
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've never felt that I need more CPU power on my iOS devices thus far while using iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina. I couldn't care less about the CPU performance since it will be more than enough than I'll ever need. I do however feel the need for RAM. Please Apple, get with the times and give us at least 2GB of RAM so Safari doesn't have to crash all the time.
This. Oddly enough my trusty iPad 2 with its lowly A5 chip still do the job, my main issue is RAM as apps don't stay cached after switching because there's too little of it and iOS keeps getting hungrier every version.
crsh1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:06 AM   #35
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

this time they put a 6GB 5400rpm on the entry level model
Asclepio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:06 AM   #36
SmoMo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hikaru View Post
I am not a familiar with CPU tech, but have some though about it.
PS3's chip was said to have so much power that not even the latest games take full advantage of the computing power of the chip.
On the other hand, frame rate drop when a horde of zombies chase after me. Clearly, PS3 system had bottle neck somewhere.
How many cores, 64 bit, how much ram, system overhead, such and such are all ear candies.
I would say, it seems apple is making a wise movement to stay with 2 cores, thinner fabrication, and probably more RAM.
The important key is, zombies can chase after me without making short distance teleportations.
I think its even more fascinating when you see how the performance of the game (or App ) and the development-time are related.

I've been in the video games industry since 1996, back in the Playstation 1 days, and it seems to me now that pretty much every program, or function, or algorithm can be optimised to some degree.
If we did nothing but spend enough time on one small aspect of the code then getting it to run twice as fast would not be extraordinary.
I've often seen optimisations lead to speed ups of 10 times. And the most remarkable was a rewrite of an offline conversion algorithm that went from taking 11 hours ( and 2GB of RAM ) to 0.1 seconds and 100KB of RAM.

Anyway, this isn't just a crazy ramble, specifically to address your point of 'people say even modern games don't take full advantage of the PS3' there is two ways of looking at it.
If everyone spent huge amount of time optimising and reoptimizing their code then I'm sure we'd see your zombie problems diminished.
But that could be said of any platform, and most of the time we're only guessing about what the full potential of a system is, until people start finding ways to do things it hasn't done before its just guesswork isn't it?

There was a definite texture bottleneck on the PS3 (at least when compared to the XBOX), it was a problem when I was working on the game LA Noire, and some of the programmers considered it a definite mistake that Sony had made. I'm not sure if developers found a way around it eventually, or not.
SmoMo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:08 AM   #37
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
Eh?
The user in that post said 4GB, I guess thatís who the other user is referring to.

Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:09 AM   #38
iMacmatician
macrumors 601

Faster dual-cores are pretty much what I expected for this year (although I expected clocks below 2 GHz). I wonder if there will also be a turbo boost type feature.

Last edited by iMacmatician; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
iMacmatician is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:10 AM   #39
Truthfulie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoMo View Post
you feel you don't need this, you feel you need something else.
I was reading on the other thread about people who feel they don't need thin phones, and people who feel they need more battery life.

Do you really look at life in terms of needs, and notneeds, instead of things like wants/notwants, or interesting/notinteresting, or opportunities/nonopportunties, or futuristic/oldfashioned etc..

Personally I've always found needs are pretty boring things, and don't seem to have much to do with either what Apple designs, or what Apple consumers end up buying.
You are blowing things way out of proportion here. Of course I do not view life in that way. But apps of current state of things will not take advantage of faster CPUs. Perhaps the bigger screen will require more power thus requiring faster processor. I don't know. My point being, I'd like to see improvements that will benefit me in actual usage, not some number games in benchmarks. (and with current state of apps, higher processor doesn't mean much) And many will agree that current iDevices have limited amount of RAM available, which does affect day to day usage for users.
Truthfulie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:12 AM   #40
iOSaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolntran View Post
This make me feel so funny inside when I hear android phones sporting quad and octa cores and still inefficient as hell. I'm not saying android phones are slow. I'm saying they're very inefficient in their use of resources and try to make up for it with too many cores!
Everything Android fanboys boast about is a joke.
iOSaddict is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:15 AM   #41
SmoMo
macrumors regular

Quote:
You are blowing things way out of proportion here. Of course I do not view life in that way. But apps of current state of things will not take advantage of faster CPUs. Perhaps the bigger screen will require more power thus requiring faster processor. I don't know. My point being, I'd like to see improvements that will benefit me in actual usage, not some number games in benchmarks. (and with current state of apps, higher processor doesn't mean much) And many will agree that current iDevices have limited amount of RAM available, which does affect day to day usage for users.
I agree with you, lets be friends.

Perhaps one of the CPU cores can just be dedicated 100% to the NSA, and at least they won't slow down our Apps then with all their data/location analyses.
SmoMo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:16 AM   #42
Bhatu
macrumors regular

With 2Ghz I would love if they put 2 wheels also in iPhone so that I can drive from LA to SF on my iPhone! LOL!!
Bhatu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:18 AM   #43
Gherkin
macrumors 6502

just got a 5C recently which is the A6. I never, ever have encountered slow performance. Some complex websites scroll a bit choppy, though not sure if that really has anything to do with the CPU.

it's super impressive though how much power Apple packs into their phones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSaddict View Post
oh so there's literally nothing good about Android? It's just a joke OS?

nah. Both iPhone and Android are amazing. Get off your high horse.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:21 AM   #44
crsh1976
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSaddict View Post
Must be why Apple has been so busy ripping off Android features to improve iOS.

Ba-da-boom-tsh!

(stay cool, I are kidding)
crsh1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:21 AM   #45
SmoMo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
just got a 5C recently which is the A6. I never, ever have encountered slow performance. Some complex websites scroll a bit choppy, though not sure if that really has anything to do with the CPU.

it's super impressive though how much power Apple packs into their phones.

----------

oh so there's literally nothing good about Android? It's just a joke OS?

nah. Both iPhone and Android are amazing. Get off your high horse.
oh so there's literally nothing good about high horses? They're just joke horses?

nah. Both high horses and low horses are amazing. Get off your slimy croisant.
SmoMo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:22 AM   #46
Truthfulie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoMo View Post
I agree with you, lets be friends.

Perhaps one of the CPU cores can just be dedicated 100% to the NSA, and at least they won't slow down our Apps then with all their data/location analyses.
NSA-Certified phones?
Truthfulie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:27 AM   #47
EvilEvil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
No need for quad core in phones or tablets. Dual core and 2GB-4GBs of ram is perfect. Give us more battery life...
Just like when people said there was no need for retina displays in iphones and ipads, or macbooks.
EvilEvil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:28 AM   #48
Chytin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
rumors indicate 4GB
Not a chance. Remember, ram eats battery. I think it will have 2 GB.
Chytin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:36 AM   #49
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
You mean the MBA from 2009, right? Yeah, it is definitely approaching those speeds.
A7 is on par with Core 2 Duos from 2009. My guess, if the A8 can continue the doubling, it'll be on par with Intel Core i3s from late 2011 (Roughly 4500 geekbench 3 score). Potentially, could catch the MBA's from 2013 (roughly 5000 geekbench 3 score) running the Core i5-Us

With processor increases on the desktop and laptop side slowing down, it could only be another 2-3 years before ARM chips catch and pass "desktop class" chips of the same year.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:36 AM   #50
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Muh jiggerhurtz!
ppc_michael is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion