Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Why not create a full manual setting within the Camera App? Why just leave this ability for third party Apps?

Mostly to see what happens in the wild. Opening up the manual controls creates a lot of opportunity for vertical use apps in specialized photography fields. I can easily see some low light camera apps with third party image processing getting a lot of use here.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I can easily see some low light camera apps with third party image processing getting a lot of use here.

Won't really happen. iOS8 doesn't add any new usable feature WRT low-light shooting; for example, the minimal shutter speed is still 1 sec. (Se my previous posts all around MacRumors for more info.)

Nevertheless, the new manual modes are still great.

moniker

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
London, UK
Raw

What I really want from the iOS camera app is the ability to export raw image files so that I can process them in CaptureOne, Aperture or some other decent raw converter. The iPhone camera itself is good enough to make a difference.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
What's the point? It's a phone, not a pro camera. Keep it simple, apple!

Whenever you have a platform of this distribution, it starts to fall into thousands of niches where someone is trying to make a buck coming up with a 50-cent solution in an expensive niche. I don't expect the camera app from Apple to change much but you'll see a bunch niche apps with bizarre specialties.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What's the point? It's a phone, not a pro camera. Keep it simple, apple!

As I've pointed out above, the current camera implementation simply doesn't allow for properly shooting under certain circumstances; for example, very fast-moving (e.g., running) subjects under bad light. A manual shutter speed priority (or the equivalent ISO priority) mode will help this tremendously - as has done on all competing mobile platforms for years.

----------

What I really want from the iOS camera app is the ability to export raw image files so that I can process them in CaptureOne, Aperture or some other decent raw converter. The iPhone camera itself is good enough to make a difference.

Exactly. Too bad RAW is still missing from iOS8. (Video, on the other hand, seem to support gibing access to the original, uncompressed video frames.)

Carlosgomes

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
It has a fixed aperture. I think f/2.2 or something like that. Having variable aperture like a DSLR lens would necessitate the lens being larger.

I don't know what the smallest variable/adjustable aperture lens would be.

I had no ideal and I learned something new today.
Thank you.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Franco610

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
I see

When will I be able to take photographs of the norther lights with my iPhone ? Wil these new features help that out ?

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Sorry to dissapoint you, but Nokia delivered months ago. :)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/10/29/another-nokia-first-digital-negatives-raw-dng-lumia/

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/11/20/nokia-camera-raw-dng-support-available-now/

Lumia 1020, 1520, Icon/930 and probably all other future "Pureview" camera phones.
Luckily none of them was ever shipped with 8BG storage. 32GB or 16GB+MicroSD (up to 128GB)

And (almost?) all Lumia phones have manual control for shutter speed, aperture, focus, iso... from even earlier.

Thanks you for disappointing me!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
That's why I don't have an iPhone. Most users want to "keep it simple" and Apple makes their dreams come true. Maybe these consumers would be better served with a Nokia 3310. It's simple as hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.