Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I deleted flash the last time this issue came up. The only problem is that now on my Mac every website that uses flash tells me I have a missing plug-in. So I use my ipad instead. Does anyone know if there is a setting that I need to adjust so that safari on my Mac will work like safari on my ipad? Thank you. I feel silling asking, but it appreciate those that will be patient and kind.

Use ClickToPlugin - it's a Safari Extension that replaces plugin views with gray boxes that you can click to load. If you don't click them, they don't load and no messages Popup. If you click them, it behaves just like normal.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Sure. I'll let everyone know that your willing to redesign their sites for free. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

Targeting the iConsume crowd would be more profitable, and therefore would justify the expense of getting rid of dying technology.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Personally, I cannot wait to see his port of Homestarrunner.com! Bloody Flash; who needs it, anyway? What's it ever done for us besides revolutionize the way we consume content and share videos?

Same here.

Sharing content such as cartoons or adding low bandwidth animated vector content to pages is where Flash excels. It's video support is joke. It's nothing more than a pathetically unoptimised wrapper for existing codecs like H.264 that have GPU hardware acceleration without Flash. How it became the standard for Internet video is baffling. The first thing I do with any flash video is rip it with download helper and rewrap it as an mp4 with MP4tools.

No it isn't. Flash Player can play H.264, but it is much more than that.

Targeting the iConsume crowd would be more profitable, and therefore would justify the expense of getting rid of dying technology.

The crowd you're talking about normally has a normal computer that can run flash as well as a device. So, they're likely getting more people the way they're going at it right now.

----------

Especially since Netflix is moving to HTML5 for streaming on its webpage.

You just better hooey you're using the right browser for that awesome HTML5 goodness. I think, right now, it is IE 11 and Safari 8. I don't know which other support it. I think ChromeOS?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I deleted flash the last time this issue came up. The only problem is that now on my Mac every website that uses flash tells me I have a missing plug-in. So I use my ipad instead. Does anyone know if there is a setting that I need to adjust so that safari on my Mac will work like safari on my ipad? Thank you. I feel silling asking, but it appreciate those that will be patient and kind.

Yes you can. First thing you need to do is enable the developer's menu.
  • Pull down the “Safari” menu and choose “Preferences”
  • Click on the “Advanced” tab
  • Check the box next to “Show Develop menu in menu bar”

Now when this happens just do the following :
  • Click the "Develop" pull-down.
  • Select "User Agent"
  • Select "iPad"

This will make the site think you're on an iPad and use the HTML5 codec. I don't know why site developers do this for iOS devices but don't just jump into HTML5 fully? I mean it seems like more work to support two different systems than to just forge ahead. I mean all modern browsers support HTML5, Flash has been considered dying for some time now, why support it? Especially if you've made the effort to redesign for HTML5?

----------

You just better hooey you're using the right browser for that awesome HTML5 goodness. I think, right now, it is IE 11 and Safari 8. I don't know which other support it. I think ChromeOS?

All current browsers support HTML5 : HTML5 Test Results

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

• Select "User Agent"
  • Select "iPad"

This will make the site think you're on an iPad and use the HTML5 codec. I don't know why site developers do this for iOS devices but don't just jump into HTML5 fully? I mean it seems like more work to support two different systems than to just forge ahead. I mean all modern browsers support HTML5, Flash has been considered dying for some time now, why support it? Especially if you've made the effort to redesign for HTML5?

----------

Supporting HTML 5 alone isn't enough to get Netflix to run HTML5.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
IE, Chrome and Yosemite version of Safari seem to all support it; Firefox is a bit behind as well as Opera. But it's an open standard, I'm sure they will adopt it in the near term.

What does it means when it says prefixed next to DRM support?

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Sure. I'll let everyone know that your willing to redesign their sites for free. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

In the meantime, I'll let everyone know that you're willing to run around and manually upgrade everybody's plug-ins on their computers for free, to support your website. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

You knew exactly what he meant. The same as how Mac OS 9 died, but only solely because one single person volunteered to rewrite all the applications personally. You just chose to play the card of douchery.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
In the meantime, I'll let everyone know that you're willing to run around and manually upgrade everybody's plug-ins on their computers for free, to support your website. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

You knew exactly what he meant. The same as how Mac OS 9 died, but only solely because one single person volunteered to rewrite all the applications personally. You just chose to play the card of douchery.

Pssst.

Modern flash installs update automatically.

RedInAustin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
Can't Get Agree Button to Activate

on installer can't get the agree button to activate to agree to terms. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I find that I'm easily able to surf the web without flash as long as I use Click-To-Plugin to feed HTML 5 content.

The only times I must use Chrome are certain videos that don't have HTML 5 or on school websites where online work requires flash (like Pearson).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Companies with any sense redesigned their sites ages ago when the OG iPad sold crazy amounts and couldn't see the sites. And given that Flash is anti accessibility that was another reason to stop.the security concerns adding a third.

So yeah perhaps it is time to "let it go"

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Companies with any sense redesigned their sites ages ago when the OG iPad sold crazy amounts and couldn't see the sites. And given that Flash is anti accessibility that was another reason to stop.the security concerns adding a third.

So yeah perhaps it is time to "let it go"

If 200 million iPads have sold over the course of its lifespan (all versions) and there are 1.5 billion traditional PCs out there ... well, I think you see where I'm going with this.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

Enable the "Develop" menu (Preferences, Advanced) and change your user agent to "Safari iOS7 - iPad", works on most websites.

----------

If 200 million iPads have sold over the course of its lifespan (all versions) and there are 1.5 billion traditional PCs out there ... well, I think you see where I'm going with this.

And 1.25 billion of those traditional PCs still out there are too weak to run any recently made Flash websites.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Last time I checked PCs can handle html5 etc. So what's the issue again.

Oh and you might want to check your numbers. As of mid Oct 2023 it was 170 million iPads, as of March 2014 it was 500 million iPhones and as of May 2013 100 million iPod touches. That's a lot of devices that don't use Flash (and at this point neither do all those millions of android devices and likely not those Surface RT).

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Last time I checked PCs can handle html5 etc. So what's the issue again.

Oh and you might want to check your numbers. As of mid Oct 2023 it was 170 million iPads, as of March 2014 it was 500 million iPhones and as of May 2013 100 million iPod touches. That's a lot of devices that don't use Flash (and at this point neither do all those millions of android devices and likely not those Surface RT).

The issue is that it's cheaper and easier to make things in flash.

----------

Enable the "Develop" menu (Preferences, Advanced) and change your user agent to "Safari iOS7 - iPad", works on most websites.

----------

And 1.25 billion of those traditional PCs still out there are too weak to run any recently made Flash websites.

I can make up statistics out of my rear as well ....

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

• Select "User Agent"
  • Select "iPad"

----------

Thank you, I will try this out tonight. One last question. Does this have to be done each time or is there a way to set this as a default for the browser and be done with it once and for all.

Thanks again for the advice.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has there ever been a piece of software which had more security flaws or was a bigger malware magnet?

Web site uses Flash? Go somewhere else. Eventually, site managers will learn or go out of business.
The more popular software is the more likely there will be more and more people looking for exploits in it, and the more people look the more likely they will find something since practically no software is fully secure, especially any that is designed and used in an online environment.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Has there ever been a piece of software which had more security flaws or was a bigger malware magnet?

Web site uses Flash? Go somewhere else. Eventually, site managers will learn or go out of business.

Is this a serious question? Because I can find at least five pieces of software that had more flaws found last year in comparison to Adobe Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.