Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Bashes iPad's Screen, Lack of Multitasking in New Galaxy Tab S Ads

Last week, Samsung released an anti-iPhone ad calling iPhone users "wall huggers" in a promotion for its Galaxy S5 smartphone. Today the South Korean company is promoting its new Galaxy Tab S with two new anti-Apple advertisements, bashing the iPad's lack of multitasking and its screen.

In the first ad, Samsung features a crying baby and a dad fighting over an iPad that's unable to display two apps at once. The baby wants to watch a movie while the dad is trying to catch a sports game. A Galaxy Tab S, which can display multiple apps at once, is swapped for the iPad, and suddenly both dad and baby are happy.

Quote:
"What's going on? Ahhh, it looks like dad's tablet can only do one thing at a time. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? With the Galaxy Tab S, the whole family has something to smile about."
The second advertisement pits the display of the iPad against the display of the Galaxy Tab S. In the spot, two friends are watching the same scary movie on an iPad and on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. A scene depicting a dark figure against a black background is shown on both tablets, with the figure not appearing on the iPad's screen.

Quote:
What went wrong here? Ahhh, It's not a Super AMOLED. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? Compared to many LCDs, Super AMOLEDs give you 100 times higher contrast. Instead of 1000:1, you get 100,000:1 contrast. Conventional LCDs get their color using backlight but Super AMOLEDs turn off pixel by pixel, each emitting their own light. So you get all the fine details and varied shades of black that many LCDs can't show.
First announced in June, Samsung's newest tablet, the Galaxy Tab S features a high-resolution (2560 x 1600) Super AMOLED display. During its presentation, Samsung touted the tablet's display quality, suggesting it had a more accurate color range, better contrast, and higher outdoor visibility than a typical LCD display. The Galaxy Tab S is also Samsung's thinnest tablet to date, offering a fingerprint sensor, an 11 hour battery life, and Android's multitasking features.

The iPad Air, in contrast, features a 2048 by 1536 Retina display with 3.1 million pixels. While it is unable to run two apps at once presently, split-screen multitasking is said to be in the works. Apple is also working on a new version of the iPad Air and the Retina iPad mini, both of which are expected to come equipped with Touch ID fingerprint sensors and an A8 processor.

Article Link: Samsung Bashes iPad's Screen, Lack of Multitasking in New Galaxy Tab S Ads
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Did Samsung hire away Mark Penn from Microsoft?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:42 PM   #3
JonneyGee
macrumors regular

Samsung's new motto: If you can't beat 'em, bash 'em.
JonneyGee is offline   77 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:43 PM   #4
seble
macrumors 6502a

The last thing you could bash about the ipad is the screen. Don't see what more you could want from it?
seble is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:43 PM   #5
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

"Do you see what I see?"

Yeah, crappy ads.
ghettochris is offline   82 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:44 PM   #6
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

yet they fail miserably in sales compared to the single-tasker And supposedly not-so-great-resolution iPad ?

iLoveiTunes is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:46 PM   #7
firewood
macrumors 603

Samsung's latest P&L statement tells how well bashing Apple is working for them. Only a few billion shy of estimates: http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...omberg-samsung
firewood is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Lazy
macrumors regular

Sure, two different people watching two different video streams (who gets the audio?) is a totally realistic scenario.
Lazy is offline   88 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:47 PM   #9
BlazinDei
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to BlazinDei
This is honestly the worst commercial I've ever seen. Who shares an iPad with their infant? Why doesn't he watch the sports on the TV or the baby watch the show on the TV? If you have two shows on one device not only is that going to kill the battery, one of them will have no sound. Stupidest commercial I have ever seen
BlazinDei is offline   78 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:48 PM   #10
jontech
macrumors 6502

They should probably bash TSMC since they are the real competitors
jontech is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

Yeah, no. These are cheesy as hell.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:49 PM   #12
diddl14
macrumors 6502

A typical iPad Dad would give his kid his old iPad. Problem solved
diddl14 is offline   66 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:50 PM   #13
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

Lol just look at what a mess the layout is, Samsung is so clueless.
coldjeanzzz is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:51 PM   #14
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Anybody else getting right click menu popups when they tap to play YouTube videos like these on their iPad (I have an iPad mini if it matters)? Didn't have this problem yesterday.

UPDATE: It seems the issue has been fixed - at least with the videos I have viewed today, including the ones in this article.

Last edited by myrtlebee; Jul 12, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
myrtlebee is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:51 PM   #15
crawler1975
macrumors member

why does samsung resort to bashing ipad or apple products in general. i guess the their product is inferior that's why and i read somewhere (not macrumors) that their new galaxy phone is a flop...
crawler1975 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:51 PM   #16
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Anybody else getting right click menu popups when they tap to play YouTube videos like these on their iPad (I have an iPad mini if it matters)? Didn't have this problem yesterday.
Yeah. Same here
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:52 PM   #17
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

I find myself in this kind of situation, like, all. the. time. I'm so grateful that Samsung has managed to make an ad that showed just how capable samsung is in having such a direct and meaningful impact on improving the quality of my life! I shall now go buy 2.
Z400Racer37 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:53 PM   #18
mrperezmarc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler1975 View Post
why does samsung resort to bashing ipad or apple products in general. i guess the their product is inferior that's why and i read somewhere (not macrumors) that their new galaxy phone is a flop...
Cause Mac VS PC commercial worked so well for apple!
mrperezmarc is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:53 PM   #19
sevenpelicans
macrumors newbie

Advertising fail

Really poor execution of an interesting, useful feature. I hate to say it, but good advertising of an inferior product can sell over bad advertising of a superior product.

That being said, I'd still buy an apple product over a Samsung one any day
sevenpelicans is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Did Samsung hire away Mark Penn from Microsoft?
Bad, isn't it? Typical, though. You got 2 cores, I got 4, they're better. How many dpi you got! Hey, I got more! Oh, and that crowd's a bunch of fanboys! Next big thing! Schoolyard taunts.
Swift is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:54 PM   #21
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Yes, both the wife and I are getting them. Very annoying.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:54 PM   #22
eddieaus
macrumors regular

What kind of poor family don't own a TV at home? Stupid ad.
eddieaus is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Jest3r
macrumors regular

Regardless of it running one app at a time or twenty, it's still not an iPad.
Jest3r is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:55 PM   #24
t76turbo
macrumors member

Split screen would be awesome.

Email on one and Internet on other. I can see lots of other users. I wouldn't be bashing a feature like that.
t76turbo is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:56 PM   #25
mrperezmarc
macrumors newbie

Samsung split screen causes Cross eyed kid

I don't know about anybody else, but the kid looks crossed eye when he's watching the samsung tablet... If that product has that effect on people... they can keep it.

And yes, when I'm with a bunch of bros, I like to watch the same movie on my iPad instead of my tv! Make perfect sense!
mrperezmarc is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion