Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drysdalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new iPod touch, and just want to check out a few things first, so the opinions of those who've got one and use it a lot would be useful.

At the moment, my main day-to-day device is an iPad 3 (the 2012 model, the first one with the Retina display). I do have an iPhone, but it's quite literally an iPhone - an original 2007 2G-only 8GB model. I mainly use the iPhone as an iPod nowadays, but its 8GB capacity is starting to get a little limiting. So I'm thinking of a 32GB iPod touch.

Now, on the one hand, I love the styling of the iPod touch, the metal case, and the incredible thinness and lightness of it. On the other hand however, I realise there's very little it can do that my existing iPad 3/iPhone 2G combo can't. The iPod has better cameras than my iPad or iPhone, in that it has a flash for the back camera, and does 720p on the front; and I'd be able to run the modern iPhone apps (Weather, Stocks, etc) that aren't available on the iPad, but that's realistically about it as far as new capabilities go.

One thing I'm wondering about, is how does the iPod touch perform as a modern gaming device ? I'm more thinking of the bigger almost console-style games - Deus Ex: The Fall, Republique, that kind of thing. Does anyone have experience with how the iPod touch handles these titles, or similarly intensive ones ? I realise it's basically the brains of an iPhone 4S in the body of an iPhone 5, so I'm not instinctively sure how well it will perform. Can it drive the wider screen well, or does it struggle ?

Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not I should take the plunge ? Are there any other iPad owners out there who also own (and actually use) their iPod touch, and if so, what kind of things make you reach for the iPod over the iPad ?

I'll freely admit that this is more a case of 'want' rather than 'need': there's no solid reason that I *need* the iPod as well as the iPhone/iPad, but I just love the design of the iPod, and find myself wanting to get one mainly because of that.

Thanks in advance !

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
So I have an iphone 5S, iPad and iPod touch (32GB). For me, the ipod touch has lost its value as I dont use it much.

Gaming - prefer iPad. The ipod is fine but once you get used to the larger iPad screen, its hard to switch back.

Music - used to use the ipod exclusively but I dont have much music. Keeping it all on the iphone is easier.

My suggestion - if you have a lot of music and apps that you enjoy, get the touch. You may also want to consider paying the extra $100 (or whatever premium) for the 32GB iPhone and sticking to one device. It really comes down to how much you use your music (gym, car etc). The ipod is a nicer, smaller device.

Good luck.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The iPod Touch internals date from 2011.

I wouldn't buy one now as it really is old.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I just purchased a refurbished 5G 64gb and I was surprised at how lightweight and thin it is. Much more so compared to my business iPhone 4s. I purchased one mainly because I recently got a Windows 8 phone for personal use (I was curious and it was far cheaper than an iPhone), but still wanted a dedicated iOS device for music, media, mobile games, pictures and such so I wouldn't use up my battery for making calls, and an iPad is too big for these things.

Who cares if the internals are not the latest and greatest. In my experience it runs everything quite well, is still well supported and we know it will run the next major OS release. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's eventually phased out and so I wouldn't waste the money buying a new one. Go with the Apple refurb instead.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Note it has no GPS. I almost bought one before I accidentally figured that out. You may not care.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I just purchased a 64 GB ipod touch brand new; yeah probably not too smart. I transferred all my CD's and a few audio books to it. I have a 16gb 4S but unless the 6 really wows me I'll be sticking to it for a while longer and I don't have a lot of room on it as I take a lot of pictures. I also have a rmini ipad 16gb that I use mostly for magazines.

I purchased the ipod to store all my music and my audio books on. Yeah I carry both; phone in pocket, ipod in purse. When my Sirus trial runs out in September I'll use the ipod a lot more in the car. It might be silly to have all 3 devices but I don't want to buy a new phone when mine is working well. I also use my ipod outside when I'm cutting grass; it replaced my old faithful battery operated mp3 player. I don't have many games on it yet though.

Oh I also have an 8gb ipod nano that I hook up to my radio at home for sleeping music-that was a used from gamestop though. I should have brought a refrub from apple store on the ipod touch.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new iPod touch, and just want to check out a few things first, so the opinions of those who've got one and use it a lot would be useful.

At the moment, my main day-to-day device is an iPad 3 (the 2012 model, the first one with the Retina display). I do have an iPhone, but it's quite literally an iPhone - an original 2007 2G-only 8GB model. I mainly use the iPhone as an iPod nowadays, but its 8GB capacity is starting to get a little limiting. So I'm thinking of a 32GB iPod touch.

Now, on the one hand, I love the styling of the iPod touch, the metal case, and the incredible thinness and lightness of it. On the other hand however, I realise there's very little it can do that my existing iPad 3/iPhone 2G combo can't. The iPod has better cameras than my iPad or iPhone, in that it has a flash for the back camera, and does 720p on the front; and I'd be able to run the modern iPhone apps (Weather, Stocks, etc) that aren't available on the iPad, but that's realistically about it as far as new capabilities go.

One thing I'm wondering about, is how does the iPod touch perform as a modern gaming device ? I'm more thinking of the bigger almost console-style games - Deus Ex: The Fall, Republique, that kind of thing. Does anyone have experience with how the iPod touch handles these titles, or similarly intensive ones ? I realise it's basically the brains of an iPhone 4S in the body of an iPhone 5, so I'm not instinctively sure how well it will perform. Can it drive the wider screen well, or does it struggle ?

Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not I should take the plunge ? Are there any other iPad owners out there who also own (and actually use) their iPod touch, and if so, what kind of things make you reach for the iPod over the iPad ?

I'll freely admit that this is more a case of 'want' rather than 'need': there's no solid reason that I *need* the iPod as well as the iPhone/iPad, but I just love the design of the iPod, and find myself wanting to get one mainly because of that.

Thanks in advance !

I love the current generation iPod touch. It is certainly the best one they've done to date. That being said, in 2014, the technology is a bit dated. Doesn't make it less cool and it certainly doesn't have me hating on mine, but it sort of doesn't make it as good of a buy. If I were you, I might recommend buying an iPhone 5s to replace your original iPhone as you get computing innards that are two generations newer and graphics that are WAY faster than what you get in the current iPod touch.

Either that or I'd wait and see if Apple updates the iPod touches and/or see what iPhone they come out with in the fall as that is also around the corner.

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I would wait until September/October (If you can wait) and see what apple does with the iPod touch (I bought a 4g 3 months before the 5g was announced and was really disappointed :( )

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I have an iPod Touch 5, 32 GB, as well as an iPad 2 - also 32 GB, cellular. I game on the iPad because I prefer the larger screen. But my Touch goes with me everywhere because it fits into my pocket - and it has Siri, which I use regularly.

The convenience of having notes, reminders, contacts, music, video, my calendar, and the same apps (and books) on both devices is invaluable. Most shops have WiFi, so if I see something one of the kids might like, I can take a photo of it and immediately send it and a text to the kid and get an opinion.

I used to make shopping lists, which I usually misplaced or left on the kitchen table. I now keep them on my iPod. No more complaints about not getting a needed item.

I use both devices heavily and can't imagine doing without either one. I don't have a smart phone and don't need one as my texting app allows me to make phone calls with either device. But that looks less dorky with the Touch.

I will say that I don't like using the tiny keyboard on the iPod Touch....but don't really need to as Siri does my typing.

Reactions: drysdalk

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Hi,

Thanks in advance !

The iPod touch is an excellent device. Compared to the iPhone 4s, the touch's larger screen has an unnoticeable impact on performance. Also, the performance of the touch is virtually the same as the performance of your 3rd gen iPad.
Play around with the iPod touch before buying it. Then weigh its price against its usefulness to you, so you don't have buyers remorse. Everyone's uses are different. It sounds to me like you would benefit from an iPod touch. iOS 7 UI speed is almost the same as on the newer iPhones; the 3-6x faster speeds on paper do not fully translate to real world usage.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
If you don't mind the suggestion, you can sell the iPad 3 you have and apply the money you would use for the iPod towards an iPad Air? That way you get the best! You get the large 9.7 inch retina display along with the powerful A7 chip.

If you really want the iPod Touch, why not grab one of the refurbished ones off the Apple Store? They are selling for a great price right now.

drysdalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did in fact go ahead with the iPod touch purchase - the day before the price cut, naturally ! However the Apple Store were very good, and effectively gave me the price difference back. I had to do it as a return and re-purchase of the same unit, but it was as simple as them just scanning the barcode on the package, and that was that.

I've been really enjoying it. It's my first time using an iPhone 5-style screen, and there is definitely a big difference in colour quality and clarity when compared to the iPhone 4/4S screen (my wife has a 4S). I've found it quicker and/or easier than the iPad for some tasks, mainly using Twitter, and for some games (especially those that involve having to rotate the device a lot - e.g. Device 6).

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
That's great! I bought my first iPod Touch almost two months ago (fifth gen, 32 GB, black) since my 4th generation iPod Nano's battery life was quite short by now, and it seemed rather dated anyways. So with my new job at Walmart providing good funds, I thought the time was right to upgrade!
Since I'm not into Smartphones but I like the features, I thought an iPod Touch would be the way to go. So far I really love it. I'm also hoping the Walmart will soon go ahead with its impending Wi-Fi installation so I can check my email during my breaks!

avspatti

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
iPod Touch update?

I, too, am considering a Touch. I had one several years ago, but someone at the college where I teach stole it. I am not interested in a smart phone, but I like all their features aside from the phone part. I have a cheap cell phone. Do you all think Apple is going to drop the Touch? I have a Macbook Pro, an iPad Air, but it would be nice to have something smaller. I also always have a small camera with me all the time. Thanks for your advice.

Tricia

drysdalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I, too, am considering a Touch. I had one several years ago, but someone at the college where I teach stole it. I am not interested in a smart phone, but I like all their features aside from the phone part. I have a cheap cell phone. Do you all think Apple is going to drop the Touch? I have a Macbook Pro, an iPad Air, but it would be nice to have something smaller. I also always have a small camera with me all the time. Thanks for your advice.

Tricia

Hi,

I don't think it's likely they'll drop it this year, personally. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the next couple of years they do, but any iPod you buy today is going to run iOS 7 just fine, and will also be able to run iOS 8 later this year as well.

As for iOS 9 in 2015...well, the jury's out on that one. Time will tell, but you'll certainly be buying a currently-supported device that is going to enjoy at least one more year's worth of support and updates, at a minimum.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

I don't think it's likely they'll drop it this year, personally. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the next couple of years they do, but any iPod you buy today is going to run iOS 7 just fine, and will also be able to run iOS 8 later this year as well.

As for iOS 9 in 2015...well, the jury's out on that one. Time will tell, but you'll certainly be buying a currently-supported device that is going to enjoy at least one more year's worth of support and updates, at a minimum.

Mine didn't run ios7 well, but unsurprising from a 2011 specced device.

It's old.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Mine didn't run ios7 well, but unsurprising from a 2011 specced device.

It's old.

But everyone else's does.

Mine's running iOS 7 with a pile of tweaks via a jailbreak, and it runs nicely.

The internals may match the 4S, but that doesn't mean they're unusable today.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I just ended up ordering a 64GB refurb 'cause I played with one in the store and it's just too damn cute and thin and light to not get one at the $240 price point it's at now. I hope it ends up running iOS 9, that would just be awesome. I'm just going to use it to read stuff and play music while my iPhone is charging. I still think tablets are too unwieldy. I have a 7" tablet I never use because it's just a PITA to carry around everywhere.

BTW I am not weak. In fact I powerlift. I just appreciate the beauty of a fully functioning palm size computer that weighs essentially nothing!

I still wish it had GPS though. It would be SO USEFUL if it had GPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.