Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Leafs Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2013
Canada
I frankly don't expect any of my wish list items to be fulfilled on the next MBP update. But one can only dream.

Well better battery life is almost a guarantee with Broadwell chips, a lighter redesign could be in the works, and Touch ID seems bound to make the rounds to Apple's other product lines. I don't think you're too far off with these predictions, and at least one will probably be fulfilled in the next update.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...hes.price.apple.ipads.macs.macbooks/38252.htm

Not sure if this is legit or not, but at least we got something here.

Just for those expecting/wishing for a "minor spec bump", what do you guys actually expect? There isn't a better processor than the ones that offer the Iris and Iris Pro to the 13" and 15" in the Haswell line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Released on a Sunday? You must be jesting?

As for the spec bumps, I was under the impression that there were faster Haswell mobile CPUs just released?

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
could this indicate that a minor refresh is coming?

au.ibtimes.com/articles/558771/20140710/2014-macbook-pro-apple-release.htm

I mean, hasn't Apple always offered 0% financing on all its laptops or anything over $750? So this is not something new right? or am I missing something?

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
could this indicate that a minor refresh is coming?

au.ibtimes.com/articles/558771/20140710/2014-macbook-pro-apple-release.htm

I mean, hasn't Apple always offered 0% financing on all its laptops or anything over $750? So this is not something new right? or am I missing something?

They offer 0% apr at various times throughout the year. A refresh is coming, but I'll eat my hat if it's going to be before September. Wouldn't it be nice to launch spec bumped Macs with Yosemite?

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
They offer 0% apr at various times throughout the year. A refresh is coming, but I'll eat my hat if it's going to be before September. Wouldn't it be nice to launch spec bumped Macs with Yosemite?
True...

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
There's no way I can wait out until after Christmas for Broadwell and I'm disappointed because it'd add a few hours of battery life and give a nice GPU boost -the two things I wanted.

That said I'd be happy for a price drop and spec bump, because then I'd be able to get it in time for college and possibly get the 8GB, 256SSD model for the entry price, plus avail of the BTS promo. That would be a fair trade-off for me.

There won't be a price drop on the rMBP line up because they did that last year. They have been introducing lower prices on all Macs over the couple years. Last year the rMPB price dropped $100, which is why the 15" now only cost $1999, the first time it has ever been below the $2000 mark. The Macbook Air recently received a minor processor bump and a price cut of $100, and the iMac received a new lower cost model very recently. That covers the entire line-up (Mac Pro aside), and sufficiently meets Apple's goal of lowering the price of their Mac Products. They would not do another price cut the following year.

Likewise you won't see Broadwell before November, but likely, in February-June time frame. If there is any bump at all in August (which they won't do) it'll be a 2.0 GHz to 2.1 GHz bump in CPU with the same Iris Pro graphics.

The only other realistic option we'll see is sometime in November-February we may see other features or additions added in a more legitimate "refresh" which would include a CPU bump (like the one stated above) as well as an 860M GPU (only for high end), possibly 4k display, potentially upgraded camera, etc. This scenario would put the real product refresh in Q4 2014, and then another refresh could occur in June-August 2015 with the first line of Broadwell-equipped MacBooks to come out, likely only with minor changes aside from CPU. Or possibly the Broadwell CPU and a redesign.

My money is on no updates or refreshes whatsoever until Q2 2015, and then Broadwell, 860M GPU (high end only - Broadwell iGPU for low end), other incremental upgrades, and possibly a complete redesign.

P.S. The whining and complaining is worse than I anticipated. Intel is the one causing Apple to have to (maybe) rethink when they're releasing their full product refreshes/CPU bump, not Apple themselves. Intel is getting lazy, thus there will not be Broadwell CPU or 13"/base 15" GPU updates until Broadwell is released. That means you won't see that until 2015, and likely until summer 2015 - about 12 months from now. Get over it - buy now :D

Last edited:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
My money is on no updates or refreshes whatsoever until Q2 2015, and then Broadwell, 860M GPU (high end only - Broadwell iGPU for low end), other incremental upgrades, and possibly a complete redesign.

They won't go 18 months without a refresh, I'm putting my money on that. They'll do something, anything to justify a new model (even if it is only a 100MHz clock upgrade) before the holidays. Apple care about sales, and they need something fresh for their 'top-of-the-line' laptops which are now near a year old.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Last year the rMPB price dropped $100, which is why the 15" now only cost $1999, the first time it has ever been below the $2000 mark.
Thats strange. I remember 2011 when MBP cost 1799$. Even in 2012 MD103 cost 1799$ ;).

Only 17 inch never was below 2000$ mark.

Even for Apple standards, Retina is overpriced right now. They must spec bump, AND lower the price. And im sure that base 15 inch will get 100$ and top-end will get 200$ lower price tag.

Alfonsomac

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
They won't go 18 months without a refresh, I'm putting my money on that. They'll do something, anything to justify a new model (even if it is only a 100MHz clock upgrade) before the holidays. Apple care about sales, and they need something fresh for their 'top-of-the-line' laptops which are now near a year old.

This.
If Broadwell MBP comes out in summer 2015, Apple needs to update its laptop (CPU boost and 860M are the favorites in this case).
Otherwise, we may see a simple speedbump of the current model if the new Broadwell MBP comes out in January/March timeframe (but that's unlikely in according to recent news).

I mean, i really don't think they're going to have on the market a machine like the Macbook Pro so long. Even a simple speedbump, if Broadwell is ready in summer, would be a persiflage.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
So, looking at it from a dGPU perspective, if Apple were to do a Haswell bump, THEORETICALLY, what dGPU could Apple fit?

I see 860M being mentioned, is it available in the correct spec?

I've given up on waiting for Broadwell, but since I'd be getting the rMBP with dGPU, a refresh could effect me more in the dGPU department than most are considering.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
So, looking at it from a dGPU perspective, if Apple were to do a Haswell bump, THEORETICALLY, what dGPU could Apple fit?

I see 860M being mentioned, is it available in the correct spec?
The GM107 version of the 860M has a lower TDP than the 750M, so I think that is a likely GPU for the high-end MacBook Pro. The 850M would also work. Anything above the 860M has considerably higher TDP so is most likely unsuitable for the MBP.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The GM107 version of the 860M has a lower TDP than the 750M, so I think that is a likely GPU for the high-end MacBook Pro. The 850M would also work. Anything above the 860M has considerably higher TDP so is most likely unsuitable for the MBP.

But are they available now? And then the other problem being I doubt they'd want to then release a CPU update with no dGPU update.

Trying to gauge if I should really wait.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

I agree with you, I haven't been an "apple fan" long enough to tell you whether they've done that before in the past. If you indeed think that there is no way they would ever go that far, then I'd guess a 100Mhz CPU boost would suffice for this fall's upgrade, as well as the dGPU potentially. I don't think they'd put in new features if it is just a "waiting for broadwell" refresh.

Thats strange. I remember 2011 when MBP cost 1799$. Even in 2012 MD103 cost 1799$ ;).

Only 17 inch never was below 2000$ mark.

Even for Apple standards, Retina is overpriced right now. They must spec bump, AND lower the price. And im sure that base 15 inch will get 100$ and top-end will get 200$ lower price tag.

Well a 2k IPS display was pretty expensive in 2012, and so were 256GB+ SSD's, so that justified some of the price there. The price has come down a bit since then, but I guess it depends on whether you think that 1) Apple will keep lowering the price until they see it where they think it is best, or 2) Apple only lowers it incrementally to account for the decreasing cost of manufacturing certain components. As mentioned above, I don't know if they've lowered prices repetitively over time in the past (with the cMBP, or PowerBook) but I wouldn't think they'd do that.

850M or 860M, the situation is akin to the 750M and 755M of the current model. Technically the 15" rMBP has a 750M but it is "overclocked" to be almost as high as a 755M. The 860M is identical to the 850M in size, however has higher memory speed, and core speed, which is why it brings the TDP up to about 50-55 watts whereas the 850M is about 40-45 watts. The current 750M is at about 50 watts.

But are they available now? And then the other problem being I doubt they'd want to then release a CPU update with no dGPU update.

Trying to gauge if I should really wait.

Both of these chips are already out and being sold in computers varying from 13" to 17" displays sizes.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If Apple were to do slight processor jumps, they would've done so at the time the Air got them. It makes no sense to wait.

My guess is we'll see the new low-power 12" Broadwell in October, 13" rMBP Broadwell next February, and 15" next summer.

As for price drops...I just want the base storage to go up. I need 256 but I want to pay closer to what I paid for my 2010 13" 256 model. I have a feeling that's not going to happen this next release, though.

drarrex7

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
If Apple were to do slight processor jumps, they would've done so at the time the Air got them. It makes no sense to wait.

My guess is we'll see the new low-power 12" Broadwell in October, 13" rMBP Broadwell next February, and 15" next summer.

As for price drops...I just want the base storage to go up. I need 256 but I want to pay closer to what I paid for my 2010 13" 256 model. I have a feeling that's not going to happen this next release, though.

Seems like it would be uncharacteristic of Apple to update the 13 inch and 15 inch at separate times, even if the processor for the 13 was available several months sooner. Anyone know if they've done something like that in the past?

Personally, I would benefit from such a move. Trying to hold out for a 13 inch rMBP.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Seems like it would be uncharacteristic of Apple to update the 13 inch and 15 inch at separate times, even if the processor for the 13 was available several months sooner. Anyone know if they've done something like that in the past?

Personally, I would benefit from such a move. Trying to hold out for a 13 inch rMBP.

Well, the 15" rMBP came out before the 13". That is not quite the same, though, as that was quite a bit more engineering work with the brand new design. That could apply here, though, if the rumored new trackpad/design from this supposed 12" comes to the larger models. But it would be odder if the cheaper models were more up-to-date than the more expensive ones.

Regardless, I don't think looking at past history is that helpful in hinting what Apple will do because the Broadwell delay is so unusual. Whatever they end up doing it won't be ideal for them.

drarrex7

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Well, the 15" rMBP came out before the 13". That is not quite the same, though, as that was quite a bit more engineering work with the brand new design. That could apply here, though, if the rumored new trackpad/design from this supposed 12" comes to the larger models. But it would be odder if the cheaper models were more up-to-date than the more expensive ones.

Regardless, I don't think looking at past history is that helpful in hinting what Apple will do because the Broadwell delay is so unusual. Whatever they end up doing it won't be ideal for them.

Good points - I hope you're right. Surely with such a lengthy delay they will want to update each model ASAP.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
Good points - I hope you're right. Surely with such a lengthy delay they will want to update each model ASAP.

Apple will not wait until February before updating the MBPs. This is 100% fact, because there's not a chance they'd leave one of their best selling laptop ranges untouched for well over a year with the competition doing Haswell refreshes.

They will include a Haswell refresh between now and October.

They'll update again in the spring for Broadwell and then again for Skylake in the autumn/winter -assuming it's not delayed too.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

I agree thinking if they were going to do a bump they would have done it already (maybe with the MBA), which is why I think they may be holding out for a "temporary" refresh until Broadwell comes out next summer (plus or minus 4 months).

They aren't going to stagger the 13" and 15" because both processor's are delayed until the same time. The only one that might come out by February would be the MBA's tier of processor.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They aren't going to stagger the 13" and 15" because both processor's are delayed until the same time. The only one that might come out by February would be the MBA's tier of processor.

The Air's processor is the same as the 13".

As a result, the Broadwell U 2+3 dual-core chips with GT3 (HD 5000 or Iris) graphics, likely slated for use in the MacBook Air and the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, won't be ready to ship until February of 2015. The Broadwell H 4+3e quad-core chips with Iris Pro graphics designed for the larger Retina MacBook Pro and iMac won't be shipping until July 2015 at the earliest.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/09/broadwell-early-to-mid-2015

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Apple will not wait until February before updating the MBPs. This is 100% fact, because there's not a chance they'd leave one of their best selling laptop ranges untouched for well over a year with the competition doing Haswell refreshes.

They will include a Haswell refresh between now and October.

They'll update again in the spring for Broadwell and then again for Skylake in the autumn/winter -assuming it's not delayed too.

It is not 100% fact at all. I also don't know why you keep saying they will update between now and October. It could easily be updated in November-December too, or January-February, as they have done in the past.

The thing that apple really needs to decide is what features they are planning on adding to the next refresh model, and whether it is worth it to put for instance, an IGZO display in this next (potentially minor speed-bump refresh) model if the larger Broadwell refresh is to occur a mere 6 months from that update.

I also find it hard to believe that Apple will do 3 refreshes within a 12 month period. My guess would be that if they are indeed forced to have Broadwell in Q3 2015, with Skylake coming in Q4 2015, that they will do the bare minimum for this refresh, have a redesign for the Broadwell model, and then a normal (feature added) refresh for Skylake in Q4.

----------

The Air's processor is the same as the 13".

They are both U-series processors but they are not the same. The MBA's processor is a 15 W, while the 13" rMBP's is a 28 W processor.

Edit: You're right, the distinction hasn't garnered a delay between the two processors

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They are both U-series processors but they are not the same. The MBA's processor is a 15 W, while the 13" rMBP's is a 28 W processor.

The point is, they are both delayed until Feb., not June like the 15" processor, if that Chinese site's rumor is accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.