Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple May No Longer Be Required to Etch FCC Labels on iPhone

Currently, the FCC requires any device that wants its certification to have a nameplate or etched label that displays an ID and approval from the agency. Today,*the FCC has*loosened its rules*(via MultiChannel) regarding labeling, allowing manufacturers to bypass etching FCC labels on its devices, like Apple's iPhone.

Verizon iPhone 4 without FCC label on left, iPhone 4 with FCC label on right.
Quote:
Many consumer devices have very small surface areas for a label, or when etched on the surface, the labeling may cause damage or require very expensive techniques. In such instances, the rules permit the Commission to approve alternative means of displaying the required information.
The change comes shortly after*Senators Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) and Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) introduced the E-Label Act, which allows companies to meet the FCC's label demands using digital stamps on the device rather than etching labels onto the hardware. The two Senators argue the change would allow manufacturers to save money, allowing them to pass the savings on to consumers.
Quote:
"As manufacturers continue to produce groundbreaking technologies, it only makes sense that federal labeling requirements for these products are updated to further promote innovation and create new opportunities in the digital age," Fischer said in a statement. "This bipartisan measure will provide relief for job creators, benefit consumers, and promote modern regulations that better suit a 21st*century marketplace."
The FCC's solution is fairly similar to the one the Senators proposed, and would require companies like Apple to place the digital labels three menus deep within a phone's device menu. The device's user manual must include where to find the FCC labels, or the information must be on the manufacturer's website.

It's highly likely Apple takes advantage of either the FCC's new rules or the E-Label Act, as the labels sit counter to Apple's focus on clean, minimal design on its devices. However, it's unclear when or how Apple would take advantage of the new rules.

Article Link: Apple May No Longer Be Required to Etch FCC Labels on iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:57 PM   #2
sputnikv
macrumors regular

this is a game changer
/s
sputnikv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:03 PM   #3
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, this could be both good and bad. Good because I'm sure purists will like having less text on their phones. Bad because if the display of the phone or the phone itself dies, it could be difficult to verify the IMEI (average user won't care, but tech support worker will!)
kerrikins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:03 PM   #4
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

I've always wondered why competitor's devices never seem to display these labels. I figured they were under the battery cover, which is why Apple's would have to be in full view. But this will certainly clean things up for the caseless/bumper community.
KieranDotW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM   #5
appleguy123
macrumors 603

iPhone 4 was the most beautiful iPhone design.
appleguy123 is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:06 PM   #6
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Today,*the FCC has*loosened its rules*
Asterisks much?
troop231 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:08 PM   #7
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 68000

Wow
So change
Much cheap

/s
KUguardgrl13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:09 PM   #8
swb1192
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrikins View Post
Hmm, this could be both good and bad. Good because I'm sure purists will like having less text on their phones. Bad because if the display of the phone or the phone itself dies, it could be difficult to verify the IMEI (average user won't care, but tech support worker will!)
There will be no less text:

Quote:
The change comes shortly after*Senators Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) and Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) introduced the E-Label Act, which allows companies to meet the FCC's label demands using digital stamps on the device rather than etching labels onto the hardware
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:10 PM   #9
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
i like the FCC labels
SPNarwhal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:32 PM   #10
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

jony ive must be the happiest person in the world right now.
farewelwilliams is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:37 PM   #11
fluchtpunkt
macrumors member

The photo is very misleading. Four of the five labels that are missing on the "without FCC label" device have nothing to do with FCC. And the FCC numbers that could be removed are still printed on this device.

If there will be any changes they will be very small, the CE symbol, the 0682 (the organization that did the CE certification), the exclamation mark (class II radio device according to CE), the trash can (for WEEE, saying "electronics don't go into the trash can"), the declaration of origin and the model number are still required by european law. If you don't have those on the actual hardware you can't bring the iPhone to Europe. Yes, even if you are just visiting. So Apple will keep them.

And of course the IC ID, certification for Canada, will stay as well. And Apple will probably keep the serial number too.

So what can be removed? The FCC logo, and the FCC-ID. The next iPhone might come with slightly less print, but there will be print. Jony Ive will not be as happy as one could expect after reading the article.

EDIT: I used my mad pixelmator skills to show which labels will stay. Don't be too disappointed.

Last edited by fluchtpunkt; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
fluchtpunkt is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 PM   #12
rp2011
macrumors regular

what? the couldn't fit all that info on the iwatch?

any little bit they can save counts.
rp2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:53 PM   #13
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

Apple May No Longer Be Required to Etch FCC Labels on iPhone

Meh. I honestly don't care that it's there. Just so long as there isn't any carrier branding im good.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:59 PM   #14
Altis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The two Senators argue the change would allow manufacturers to save money, allowing them to pass the savings on to consumers.
I can't wait for Apple to reduce prices by $0.02. Cause that will happen.

Even that's an exaggeration since they still have to etch other information on there.
Altis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:20 PM   #15
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb1192 View Post
There will be no less text:
...what? Your comment completely confused me, because of this:

Quote:
The FCC's solution is fairly similar to the one the Senators proposed, and would require companies like Apple to place the digital labels three menus deep within a phone's device menu.
Unless you were trying to get at what fluchtpunkt explained, but the info you quoted doesn't explain that at all.
kerrikins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:26 AM   #16
macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 already has no etchings

This is a refurbished model... just realized I don't have those etchings. Is it true I wouldn't be allowed to bring it into Europe?!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:00 AM   #17
MR-LIZARD
macrumors newbie

This information is also already held electronically.

Settings > General > About > Legal > Regulatory

All of the regulatory notices for lots of different countries are contained here. Seems Apple could move the "Regulatory" menu down one level to be compliant. Or maybe it's already at the 3rd level. Not sure which bit you would count to

The above is based on my device. I'm running iOS 7.1.2. May be in a different location if your version differs.

Last edited by MR-LIZARD; Jul 12, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
MR-LIZARD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:03 AM   #18
TriforceofTime
macrumors newbie

I believe they're already buried deep in General > About > Legal > Regulatory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	480401  
TriforceofTime is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:05 AM   #19
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I can't wait for Apple to reduce prices by $0.02. Cause that will happen.

Even that's an exaggeration since they still have to etch other information on there.
Even if the savings were all that significant, it's wishful thinking to believe companies would pass those savings onto the consumer.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:16 AM   #20
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
iPhone 4 was the most fragile iPhone design. It had glass on both sides which shattered too easily. It was bulky, blocky and heavy. It had sharp edges that didn't feel nice in your hand.
Reason077 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:32 AM   #21
WBRacing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
It was the first gadget I truly lusted after and what got me using Apple products. I went from there to the 4S. Nothing (phone wise) from Apple since has come close to tempting me.
WBRacing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:55 AM   #22
Wild Warg
macrumors member

I'm not foreseeing any savings passed on to us consumers as a result. A nice thought though...
Wild Warg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:12 AM   #23
sully54
macrumors member

I don't understand why they can't just make the regulatory logos smaller than they currently are. Is there a specific size these have to be?
sully54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:13 AM   #24
NightFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 081440 View Post
This is a refurbished model... just realized I don't have those etchings. Is it true I wouldn't be allowed to bring it into Europe?!

[IMG]Image[/IMG]
You wouldn't be able to import it into Europe and sell it commercially, but no-ones going to have an issue with you just using it.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:35 AM   #25
joelypolly
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 081440 View Post
Is this refurbished from Apple or third party? Usually third parties use non original backs to get it feeling new.
Flickr|Blog|Website
joelypolly is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion