Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
what's the status on this embarrassing simple fix, which is less than a line of code to add.

If you are so smart do tell us how this can be done. I'll even give you a whole line to do it in if you can do it with less than a line of code.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
1 line of code...still ignored feature (Music app queue/play next functionality)

There really is no way to defend the stock music apps lack of playlist functionality and queue system. Plenty of third party music apps can manage playlists on the fly and queue up songs (Rdio, Spotify, Google Music, Rhapsody, Beats, Encoute, etc). Apples own Remote app even has it. It's simply way overdue. I'm sure Apple is getting to it. If I had to guess we will see a better music app in the fall alongside a redesigned iTunes. My bet is they will have Eddy come out and talk about the new iTunes.

Last edited:

goke

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2014
I am not a developer....irregardless of the # of lines of code. Its a basic feature that should not take billion organization years to implement on their flagship product.

kurolap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
I'm with you on this and create temporary playlist. Lets say you're on a road trip, we don't want to create a whole new playlist, just want next song, next song, next song etc.... Should be easy

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
The UI is already done:

remote_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

1383617169-2013-11-05_03.05.58_00.jpeg

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
1 line of code...still ignored feature (Music app queue/play next functionality)

I do really like the UI of the remote app, don't half wish they'd make Music look a bit more like it

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
The fact that the Remote.app is basically IDENTICAL to the music app except it has Up Next/Play Queuing and adapts the background of the Now Playing screen using blurred artwork, makes it hard to swallow it's not in iOS 8.

It makes me sick they haven't just ported that code over.

People saying the Music app has no space for Up Next need their heads testing.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
If you think it's not more than "one line of code" why don't you implement it? it's not hard to get the SDK or the Source for iOS. Let's see how you would implement it with full mockups of the UI, the code, and a working demonstration.

ha haaa Source for iOS? Now that's something everyone would like to have ;) if only iOS is open source you can get it. Even if the iOS was open source music app won't be just like google. Android is open source but their google apps (Gmail, Music, Youtube etc etc) are not.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Thanks for that - never heard of this app before but I just downloaded it and love it! Everything that the stock music app should be... Too bad there is no dedicated iPad version though!

Yeah, I was waiting for their app for ages because their app is quite popular for OS X, so I couldn't wait to get the iOS version. I found the feature by chance and I love using it over the stock app.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Are you joking? Did you not see the screenshots I just posted?

Yes that is REMOTE, not MUSIC ;-). Again where are you going to fit it in MUSIC? There is no room in the now playing screen ("create" takes the place in the center) and no space in the about album without making a new bar at the bottom. Which they shouldn't because that'll take up a lot of space for the UI. You can make some UI parts smaller but then again it doesn't seem like that's the direction Apple wants.

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
It will be added as a throw in before iOS 8 hits, announced at the iPhone 6 event, along with the new, hopefully significantly upgraded iTunes, and an upgraded Remote app.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yes that is REMOTE, not MUSIC ;-). Again where are you going to fit it in MUSIC? There is no room in the now playing screen ("create" takes the place in the center) and no space in the about album without making a new bar at the bottom. Which they shouldn't because that'll take up a lot of space for the UI. You can make some UI parts smaller but then again it doesn't seem like that's the direction Apple wants.

I just told you where the natural fit for it is. Allow me to get more visual for you:

attachment.php

Attachments

• upnext.png
    upnext.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 405

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

I would gladly lose the create button for an up next button.

Up Next can easily work, not sure why it hasn't been implemented. That said, it's not "one line of code"

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I am not a developer.

So then stop talking like you are.

Music.AddQueueFeature.Code.com.net;

It's so simple, Apple! Dummies.

Then go ahead, I want you to implement it right now. Do it. There's a JB tweak that does this but you have to pay, but since you know how to do it why not make us a free version? :rolleyes:

The fact that the Remote.app is basically IDENTICAL to the music app except it has Up Next/Play Queuing and adapts the background of the Now Playing screen using blurred artwork, makes it hard to swallow it's not in iOS 8.

It makes me sick they haven't just ported that code over.

People saying the Music app has no space for Up Next need their heads testing.

Well now I think saying it makes you sick is definitely an exaggeration. Not having an "Up Next" feature is one of the most trivial things on the planet. It's not like Apple is murdering your family, donating money to kill children, or remotely blowing up iPhones or anything. You're being ridiculous here.

I do agree with the idea though that it's kind of weird why Apple hasn't integrated features like Up Next into the main music player. Honestly they should just take Remote and merge it with Music, and give it Remote's UI.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I just told you where the natural fit for it is. Allow me to get more visual for you:

Yup and that's where I said they COULD put it but would have to add a bar. Congrats on not reading? When you are playing a playlist you have "Albums" and "Playlist" as well as rating and done on the top bar. So now this is where devs start thinking. You have a good amount of options AND limited space. Are we gonna put MORE options and smash MORE things in a tiny screen? You say yes, Music dev says meh, maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.