Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
I just updated my mid 2011 MacBook Air to Yosemite and it feels a lot like how iOS 7 was in beta form (not that I'm whining about it. I know it'll get better as new betas come out).
My biggest problem is that Handoff isn't working. I turned it on in settings but it doesn't seem to work.
It's working between my iPhone 5C and iPad Mini with iOS 8 but not between my MacBook Air and my iOS 8 devices.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I just updated my mid 2011 MacBook Air to Yosemite and it feels a lot like how iOS 7 was in beta form (not that I'm whining about it. I know it'll get better as new betas come out).
My biggest problem is that Handoff isn't working. I turned it on in settings but it doesn't seem to work.
It's working between my iPhone 5C and iPad Mini with iOS 8 but not between my MacBook Air and my iOS 8 devices.

Check this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19334376/

I am sure it will help you get all of you questions answered. It applies to the 2011 Macbook Pro, however I think it may apply to the macbook air as well. If not it can at least point you in the right direction.

If it does, you might need to buy a new wifi adaptor. This one appears to be the right one for the Macbook Pro 2011. If your Macbook Air uses the same connector, this appears to be right one. When I say it "appears" I mean that the picture clearly depicts the same one that works in my Macbook pro, however I have heard of OTHER sellers that are showing one item and sending another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121366146498

By the way, I am NOT the seller.....

----------

OK, I think for the MacBook Air, it will take a different card....I think you need to try and find the newest card that has the same connection as the one in your Macbook air.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
But as far as everything I've read online, the MacBook Air 2011 should run handoff.
But let me check if I need a new adapter. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice!!!

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Now this is weird. I just came home from outside and continuity is working partially. It's working perfectly with text messages only though. I'm ok with that though. I understand that it's buggy at this point.
I was just scared my mac doesn't support it. PHEW!

Fenderf4i

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Now this is weird. I just came home from outside and continuity is working partially. It's working perfectly with text messages only though. I'm ok with that though. I understand that it's buggy at this point.
I was just scared my mac doesn't support it. PHEW!

All older Mac's will support Continuity (SMS, calling), but not Handoff.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Check this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19334376/

I am sure it will help you get all of you questions answered. It applies to the 2011 Macbook Pro, however I think it may apply to the macbook air as well. If not it can at least point you in the right direction.

If it does, you might need to buy a new wifi adaptor. This one appears to be the right one for the Macbook Pro 2011. If your Macbook Air uses the same connector, this appears to be right one. When I say it "appears" I mean that the picture clearly depicts the same one that works in my Macbook pro, however I have heard of OTHER sellers that are showing one item and sending another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121366146498

By the way, I am NOT the seller.....

The mac book pro card is NOT the same as the air so that one wont work. They have a different connector type. You can find the correct ones online (bt4.0le/wifi ac) but I would hold off until an official release. Its still very up in the air what the final requirements will be.
I myself bought newer airport cards to put into my devices but Im going to hold off and wait and see. If you don't feel like waiting feel free to buy the correct parts but in the end it may be a waste of money.

incase you dont wana wait I am also not that seller.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I think I can survive without handoff for a year or so (till I get a newer mac). Calling and SMS is enough for now.
Good idea. Like I said Im in the same boat as you, I want the other features and Ill probably eventually figure something out IF they don't offer the function to "older macs" but as of right now it doesn't make sense(with my mac pro) to start ordering parts from china with a ~6week wait.

If I spot an easier "fix" in my research ill definitely let people know. Till then ill just wait and see like everyone else.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Good idea. Like I said Im in the same boat as you, I want the other features and Ill probably eventually figure something out IF they don't offer the function to "older macs" but as of right now it doesn't make sense(with my mac pro) to start ordering parts from china with a ~6week wait.

If I spot an easier "fix" in my research ill definitely let people know. Till then ill just wait and see like everyone else.

I just updated Yosemite (there was an update) and got notification that my iPad and iPhone are available for handoff. It's still not working but I don't understand what this means. So confused right now lol :/

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I just updated Yosemite (there was an update) and got notification that my iPad and iPhone are available for handoff. It's still not working but I don't understand what this means. So confused right now lol :/
A lot of people have been getting those messages when only call/sms are available. Remember this is just a developer preview so they are still working everything out (hence why indicator read out have disappeared, toggles have moved...
Even people who have everything you need for handoff/continuity still get iffy results. Thats why Apple isn't releasing Yosemite till the fall, its not finished yet and still has a lot of bugs and work to be hashed out.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
A lot of people have been getting those messages when only call/sms are available. Remember this is just a developer preview so they are still working everything out (hence why indicator read out have disappeared, toggles have moved...
Even people who have everything you need for handoff/continuity still get iffy results. Thats why Apple isn't releasing Yosemite till the fall, its not finished yet and still has a lot of bugs and work to be hashed out.

Yup.
Also, there seems to be an update showing up in the Mac App Store by the name of OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 3 1.0 that I've installed twice but it's still showing in the Mac App Store. Keeping in mind I'm already at DP3 as I installed mavericks only a day ago.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Are you sure you have successfully installed DP3?

It should have build 14A283o

Is that your build number?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Yup.
Also, there seems to be an update showing up in the Mac App Store by the name of OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 3 1.0 that I've installed twice but it's still showing in the Mac App Store. Keeping in mind I'm already at DP3 as I installed mavericks only a day ago.
That was a known issue when upgrading to DP2, it happened to me. I kept installing it till it finally "took". You should probably check because when that happens it means the update didn't apply.
Just another reason this is the Developer preview and not a final version.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There are some direct links in apple's developer forums you can use instead of the mac app store to get DP2 and DP3 updates.

jp113

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
I can't activate Handoff in settings

I am running Yosemite beta 4 and when I tried to activate handoff in System Preferences>General, there is no box to activate handoff. Is anyone else having the same issue? I'm using MBA mid-2011 and an iPhone 5 running iOS 8 beta 4.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Right now handoff only works with BT4.0le/ wifi ac, the 2011 does not have ac unfortunately. Hopefully the n cards are enabled by launch

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I am running Yosemite beta 4 and when I tried to activate handoff in System Preferences>General, there is no box to activate handoff. Is anyone else having the same issue? I'm using MBA mid-2011 and an iPhone 5 running iOS 8 beta 4.

There is a hacked kext in larger thread to enable

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
You tried this kext?

Is it really working on mid 2011 Air?

I gave it a try on DP3, and had no success.

Mainly miss the instand hotspot function

The first fix we have is to simply change over the logic board ids, the second will be skip the checks modifying the control flow of execution.

I think that only the board ids for MacBook Pros from 2011 were added to that KEXT. Feel free to modify it in a hex editor, there's a post explaining what was changed in the other thread.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Does the MBA 2011 also use a 4360 card? It could be a different problem completely... If it is the 4360 card then yes adding the board Id would work of course. Hopefully you can figure out how to jump around the board check so that it will work on anything.

kathat

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
There is a hacked kext in larger thread to enable

Does the MBA 2011 also use a 4360 card? It could be a different problem completely... If it is the 4360 card then yes adding the board Id would work of course. Hopefully you can figure out how to jump around the board check so that it will work on anything.

Based on the information from google it is a BCM43224.

For this reason I think I wont get all Handoff function with the Air mid 2011.
Can't find a compatible replacement card.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Based on the information from google it is a BCM43224.

For this reason I think I wont get all Handoff function with the Air mid 2011.
Can't find a compatible replacement card.

I'll see what I can dig up. There's a small possibility you might be able to get your existing one to work. I seem to remember reading that you need ac though but I'm not sure. 2012 MBA one isn't compatible?

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK

EDIT: I have decided to wait until the official release of Yosemite before releasing a binary patch. Please use the patch supplied by Manic Harmonic for the moment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.