Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmetzger93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
I just installed a new hard drive in my early 2011 MacBook Pro and when I installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit through bootcamp I tried installing the drivers and it keeps giving me an error everytime I try to double click on setup.exe saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running" even though they are the correct bootcamp drivers for the operating system. I have tried running it in administrator mode and compatibility mode both to no avail. I'm at my wits end. Please help!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just installed a new hard drive in my early 2011 MacBook Pro and when I installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit through bootcamp I tried installing the drivers and it keeps giving me an error everytime I try to double click on setup.exe saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running" even though they are the correct bootcamp drivers for the operating system. I have tried running it in administrator mode and compatibility mode both to no avail. I'm at my wits end. Please help!

Do you know the version of Bootcamp you are trying to install ?

You can try locating the bootcamp64.msi file within the bootcamp folder and trying to install from that first.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Here is a link to where you can download the correct drivers for your system. Apple's website is confusing, and it's quite possible you downloaded the wrong set, which would cause the error you're seeing.

Cmetzger93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks so much you guys. I just downloaded them directly from apple on my windows side and they worked like a charm. You guys are life savers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.