Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hello all!

I've noticed some "image persistence" on my iMAC screen when I open up a White window (eg. Mac Mail, etc)

Looks like smudges of grey clouds in the upper portion of my screen.

It is not surprising given that my desktop wallpaper was a landscape one that did include some clouds up top.

What is surprising is the image persistence that is there. I removed the desktop wallpaper a couple of weeks ago and still it can be seen. I've always used a screen saver and sleep mode.

Some Troubleshooting bulletins from Apple say to set the Screen Saver to a "Just White" screen and leave it on for a substantial time. Tried that -- and it is still there. They told me to leave the computer off for a few days to "relax" the pixels. Same issue.

Called Apple Canada tonight and they told me to take it in to a Retail Store. Don't like the idea of having to lug around a 27" iMAC.

The computer is only 15 months old and I didn't purchase the extended warranty protection plan.

Anyone out there ever encounter this problem and is there a fix?

Most say that is only a temporary issue? But it's been over 2 weeks now.

Hmmmmmmmmm

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Two weeks seems a bit longer than temporary to me. It's not fun slogging around these 38 pound iMac's to the store, but it looks like you'll need to in this case.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I hate to ask and I mean no offense, but have you tried cleaning the screen? It could just be a thumb print.

I've never heard of a way to 'unburn' an image in a screen. Let us know if you find a solution.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I get image persistence on my 24" iMac. There isn't much you can do. It goes away but then comes back after awhile. My hypothesis is that since the components are behind the screen, the heat somehow affects this.

Since you are out of warranty, Apple will most likely tell you that a replacement LCD will cost this much (probs close to 1000CAD), or live with it.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i have it on my 24" imac with radoen 4850. also have dark areas on the screen now when it wakes up from sleep. the persistense gets worse the longer the screen stays on (i use the imac for work), but the dark areas (one at the top of the screen, and the other at the bottom) eventually go away until the screen goes to sleep, at which point they return.

judging from what i've read up on the issue, there's not much that they can do about it. it's possible that it's caused by excessive heat. my power supply is usually the hottest object shown in istat pro, followed by the northbridge. i still have about a year worth of warranty left, but since i'm busy with work, and skipped buying a macbook pro for the third time now, i don't have a spare computer or time to bring it in.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I hate to ask and I mean no offense, but have you tried cleaning the screen? It could just be a thumb print.

I've never heard of a way to 'unburn' an image in a screen. Let us know if you find a solution.

So, here's an update to my situation. I brought the iMAC into my Apple Store and they diagnosed it as not being image persistence but discolouration of the LED.

What is the cause I asked? The CSR couldn't say for sure but presented some interesting hypothesis (plural?) --

1. Humidity (is it a near a bathroom or kitchen sir? No and no.)

2. Liquid damage (let's be serious)

3. Excessive dust? (I have two young children and thus the house is always super clean)

Do you have Apple Protection Plan sure? No I do not.

They then presented me with a bill for ~$1000 CDN to replace the LED. Does anyone fix things these days? :rolleyes:

My computer is 14 months old. I told them I paid over $2000 for this BEAST and you mean to tell me I am supposed to accept that is just "broke" down for reasons unknown?

I told them even if I HAD the Protection Plan I would be back in 2-3 years complaining about the same problem if it indeed from PHANTOM dust, humidity, cigarette smoke (no I do not smoke).

In the end, the manager came over and decided to replace the LED "on the house". I was very very pleased to say the least but now I am SUPER PARANOID about what caused it in the first place and how to avoid it in the future?

Something I was thinking about: the top of the unit sometimes gets pretty warm and that got me thinking about the FAN. I remember distinctively hearing it when I got the computer the first time and thought to myself, "this sounds pretty loud". Then I never did hear it?

For those out there, how often does your FAN kick in and is loud?

Is there a way to manually test it?

Thanks!

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
So, here's an update to my situation. I brought the iMAC into my Apple Store and they diagnosed it as not being image persistence but discolouration of the LED.

What is the cause I asked? The CSR couldn't say for sure but presented some interesting hypothesis (plural?) --

1. Humidity (is it a near a bathroom or kitchen sir? No and no.)

2. Liquid damage (let's be serious)

3. Excessive dust? (I have two young children and thus the house is always super clean)

Do you have Apple Protection Plan sure? No I do not.

They then presented me with a bill for ~$1000 CDN to replace the LED. Does anyone fix things these days? :rolleyes:

My computer is 14 months old. I told them I paid over $2000 for this BEAST and you mean to tell me I am supposed to accept that is just "broke" down for reasons unknown?

I told them even if I HAD the Protection Plan I would be back in 2-3 years complaining about the same problem if it indeed from PHANTOM dust, humidity, cigarette smoke (no I do not smoke).

In the end, the manager came over and decided to replace the LED "on the house". I was very very pleased to say the least but now I am SUPER PARANOID about what caused it in the first place and how to avoid it in the future?

Something I was thinking about: the top of the unit sometimes gets pretty warm and that got me thinking about the FAN. I remember distinctively hearing it when I got the computer the first time and thought to myself, "this sounds pretty loud". Then I never did hear it?

For those out there, how often does your FAN kick in and is loud?

Is there a way to manually test it?

Thanks!

Perhaps, now you should purchase the AppleCare especially since they replaced it for free which they didn't have to do.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Perhaps, now you should purchase the AppleCare especially since they replaced it for free which they didn't have to do.

How can I purchase it if my 1 year is over?

But the point is this -- if the problem occurs without any real cause, then even if I had purchased the Apple Care, it'd do me no good 2-3 years down the road when the Apple Care finished.....i'd still be in there waving my arms in the air asking, "why? why?" and they'd be handing me a bill for $1000 and telling me it's because of humidity, or cigarette, or dust.....

He even went as far (and my wife and I had a good chuckle about it) to ask if our home humidifier used "filtered" water because it would remove more particles from the air? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right.

Having said that -- with or without Apple Care -- do you really want to deal with having to bring in a 40 pound iMAC periodically to have the LED screen replaced for an unknown reason?

I think we all have better things to do....

But heck.... i do give them credit for doing the good customer service thing! classy

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is it possible to purchase Apple Care after 1 year has passed? The sales clerk at the Apple Store hinted that it is negotiable with Apple. Any one want to chime in on this?

If the warranty had just ended, then it might work out but I doubt Apple will be kind enough to accept it for a Mac that is over 3 months out of warranty. Of course you can try it, but negotiate before buying.

gfxbc

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
Disgusted!

I have written Apple the following after a long battle over the image persistence problem. If everyone would do the same maybe they will recall!:

I am writing you today to tell you that the Apple article you sent me to resolve my issue did NOT work. I have done a lot of reading and I have come to the conclusion that my display is defective. I have read that the LG displays for my iMAC have a defect in them. I also read that Samsung displays on the same iMac do NOT cause the same problem. As an Apple devotee for over ten years I am abhorred that this issue was never squashed and a recall was never issued. I am positive that if Steve Jobs were alive today he would have recalled the machines. I am also positive that Mr. Jobs was a perfectionist. He must be turning in his grave!

As a graphic designer and a photographer, my defective display iMac is useless in my work. I am constantly plagued by ghosted images over my work and colors that have been altered. My confidence in Apple as a company has waned considerably.

I want and deserve my display to be replaced. I would like you to escalate my case to your supervisor. If this is not done I will contact the Bureau of Consumer Affairs. I will do what I have to do to get the machine I expected when laying out my money.

I am also disappointed in your lack of responses to me. I never got a tech support survey as well.

Please have your manager contact me at as soon as possible.

Seriously,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.