Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Hello,

I generally use the calendar on my phone but recently started using the one on my ipad more frequently. When I have two or more events which overlap it is very difficult to see both events. Example: Today I have "Work" set as 8a-4p and between 1p-2p today I have the event "Meeting" on my calendar. It is almost impossible to view the overlapping event "Meeting." I have already reset my ipad. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello,

I generally use the calendar on my phone but recently started using the one on my ipad more frequently. When I have two or more events which overlap it is very difficult to see both events. Example: Today I have "Work" set as 8a-4p and between 1p-2p today I have the event "Meeting" on my calendar. It is almost impossible to view the overlapping event "Meeting." I have already reset my ipad. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Can you through a screen shot of what you are looking at?

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
image.jpg

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Very hard to see but at 8:30 there is another event scheduled for 8:30-9:30.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Very hard to see but at 8:30 there is another event scheduled for 8:30-9:30.
Ah ha! I got it. I'm running iOS8 calendar in list mode.

So at the top you get a little all day bar with the event listed and hourly events scrolling below it.

Sorry I cannot include screen shots.

iOS8 will fix the way your currently schedule your time.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Ah ha! I got it. I'm running iOS8 calendar in list mode.

So at the top you get a little all day bar with the event listed and hourly events scrolling below it.

Sorry I cannot include screen shots.

iOS8 will fix the way your currently schedule your time.

So are you saying that IOS8 will correct this issue for me? Is there a fix for it under IOS7? Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So are you saying that IOS8 will correct this issue for me? Is there a fix for it under IOS7? Thanks

Try assigning the events to different calendars.

Also, Day view seems especially bad at this, try switching to Week view.

Last edited:

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Try assigning the events to different calendars.

Also, Day view seems especially bad at this, try switching to Week view.

I do use different calendars without any success. I agree with your comment regarding Day View. Hope this is fixed in IOS8.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I do use different calendars without any success. I agree with your comment regarding Day View. Hope this is fixed in IOS8.

After playing around with this for a bit, I found that setting up a dummy event with the same start time as the long event causes the long event to shrink to half the screen, allowing the other overlapping event(s) to be seen.

But yes, very annoying, hope it's fixed in iOS8!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yes. All day events are no longer displayed as a HUGE space covering the entire day. All day events are pushed up to an 'All Day events bar at the top of the day'. The rest of your calendar is viewed normally.

The only way to correct this in iOS7 is to change the way you schedule your events. Typically work listed as all day is too vague. Be more specific with your time? But see that's me trying to tell you how to use your calendar, and I would never presume to tell anyone how to run their stuff.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes. All day events are no longer displayed as a HUGE space covering the entire day. All day events are pushed up to an 'All Day events bar at the top of the day'. The rest of your calendar is viewed normally.

But if I'm reading the OP correctly, it's not an all-day event, it's just a very long event.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
But if I'm reading the OP correctly, it's not an all-day event, it's just a very long event.
Excellent point. I misunderstood his request. Let me check it for a long event.

--- 5 minutes later
It looks like it does the same thing as iOS7, with more translucency. A 'work' event lasting most of the day still shows up covering the entire day with a translucent background. The other events sit on top of it.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

--- 5 minutes later
It looks like it does the same thing as iOS7, with more translucency. A 'work' event lasting most of the day still shows up covering the entire day with a translucent background. The other events sit on top of it.

Can you tap on the shorter event to edit it? When I tried on iOS 7, the longer event would end up covering the shorter one, and I couldn't find a way to bring it to the foreground so I could tap it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Can you tap on the shorter event to edit it? When I tried on iOS 7, the longer event would end up covering the shorter one, and I couldn't find a way to bring it to the foreground so I could tap it.

Yes it looks like you can. I created two events from two separate calendars at the same time: 12pm on the same day I had the long event 7am-5pm.

The long event shows up translucent purple, the 12pm event 1 shows up blue, 12pm event 2 shows up grey. I could tap on both of shorter events to edit.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011

--- 5 minutes later

When you say the other event sits on top of the long event.....is that shorter event still hidden (or very hard to see) under the long event like the problem I am having now?

Thanks!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
It it is sitting on top ( above ) the translucent, longer event.

It may be the order in which I added the events too. I added the long event first, then added the short events. Not sure if this has anything to do with the layer sequence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.