Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan62292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
hello everyone. Ive been having issues with my mac lately. I have attached some screenshots of my desktop. At first i believed these were dead pixels but it seems not to be, the reason why i think it is something else is because when mirroring my screen on something like chrome cast this discoloration still is on the mirrored screen. Now this new thing just recently appeared, it is the same "dead pixel"but this one follows my mouse around. The pixels also tend to smear when you drag a window into them.. Any tips and advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 1.14.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 1.17.19 PM.png

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Periodically positioned graphic irregularities is usually a sign of defective video RAM and can be caused by overheating.

Ryan62292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Periodically positioned graphic irregularities is usually a sign of defective video RAM and can be caused by overheating.

I recently had my hard drive replaced, while doing this they boosted my ram, my computer has been overheating lately. Will reducing the ram solve the problem?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Something is going on with your GPU. Did you have any information on what year and what specs your machine has?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Seems unlikely that reducing the RAM will help with the overheating.
Better to find out what is causing the overheating. You need to find out if the fan(s) is running when needed. SMCFanControl utility will help you out with that. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

There's various utilities that can reveal the actual reported temp sensors output.

Ryan62292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Seems unlikely that reducing the RAM will help with the overheating.
Better to find out what is causing the overheating. You need to find out if the fan(s) is running when needed. SMCFanControl utility will help you out with that. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

There's various utilities that can reveal the actual reported temp sensors output.

this app is really helping! my computer has always had a heat problem. Now if i replace the ram will the graphic discolorations go away?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think you could install more RAM. Your iMac can have up to 6GB installed.

However -
It's not too likely that adding more system memory will help your video artifacts, which may simply be the Radeon HD 2600 PRO showing its flaws.

If the fan utility helps your video by keeping the temps under control, then that's a good thing…

Ryan62292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
I think you could install more RAM. Your iMac can have up to 6GB installed.

However -
It's not too likely that adding more system memory will help your video artifacts, which may simply be the Radeon HD 2600 PRO showing its flaws.

If the fan utility helps your video by keeping the temps under control, then that's a good thing…

so a new graphics card may be necessary?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't know that for sure.
If I had your iMac here, I would take the logic board out (the video card is on the back of the logic board), and make sure the big finned heat sinks on both the video card, and the logic board itself, are completely clean and clear.
In the event you need to replace, it's not too difficult. You would need Apple's part number 661-4663.
Found one here: http://www.macpalace.com/661-4663-v....8-3.06ghz-imac-early-2008-a1225-mb325ll.html
And, I would probably go for the upgrade card, that same site also offers it. http://www.macpalace.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_str=661-4664

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Seems a lot of Radeon GPU are an issue...Apple i think make a smart move to go Geforce for 2 years now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.