Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
hey everyone...

I own an 11" Mid 2012 MBA and was looking to get more HD space. I was wondering... my options is to either swap out my current SSD for a new one and use this laptop for the next couple of years or sell it for a new one... My question is how much faster are the new ones vs a 2012? Is there much of a difference in anything between both MBA's?

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
hey everyone...

I own an 11" Mid 2012 MBA and was looking to get more HD space. I was wondering... my options is to either swap out my current SSD for a new one and use this laptop for the next couple of years or sell it for a new one... My question is how much faster are the new ones vs a 2012? Is there much of a difference in anything between both MBA's?

There are 3 key differences:

1. The battery life: the 2013/2014 model works with more energy efficient Haswell processor instead of Ivy bridge in the 2012 model. In addition the battery has a slightly higher capacity. As a result the battery life increased from 5 to 9 hours!
2. The SSD in the 2012 model is SATA, the 2013 uses PCIe which is faster
3. The video processor has been upgraded from Intel HD4000 to HD5000

So the new one is definitely faster, if you would notice it in your work depends on what you do with it. I personally think the 2013 is a fairly significant upgrade and if you can sell your 2012 one for a good price I would get the new model.

Detailed comparison here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...es-between-macbook-air-mid-2013-mid-2012.html

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
I believe the new model also has the faster 802.11ac wifi. :)

Indeed it does. The 2012 only has 802.11a/b/g/n

I have a 2012 13" MBA and honestly the most compelling upgrade from it to a 2013 or 2014 MBA is the battery life. As a student, I take my MBA everywhere. It'd be nice to not carry around my magsafe on days I know I'll be using my MBA for 10+ hours, but right now I don't have the means to upgrade so I deal with it for now. It's not a terrible inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
hey everyone...

You will likely only notice an improvement in battery life. That improvement will be rather significant. The SSD is faster, but not worth the upgrade in my opinion. The form factor is nearly identical. If you are serious about upgrading, I'd recommend one of two things: 1. Buy an Apple refurbished MacBook Air or 2. Wait it out until the retina MacBook Airs are released if you're set on buying new.

I bought a refurbished MacBook Air and received a higher spec model (ordered 4gb of ram and my MacBook Air came with 8gb) from Apple with the same one-year AppleCare that comes standard on all new MacBooks. You may not get the "silent" upgrade, but it always a possibility. Just search the forum and you'll find countless examples. You will certainly receive one that nearly indistinguishable from the current 2014 model for a lot less money. Both the 2013 and 2014 use the same graphics chipset as well. I believe it is the Intel HD Graphics 5000.

If you are considering buying new, then I would suggest waiting for the newer version to be released if you can. The retina screen will be a significant improvement and more worthy upgrade in my opinion. The current screen has a low pixel density and looks a bit washed out. It's the MacBook Air's achilles heal.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
You will likely only notice an improvement in battery life. That improvement will be rather significant. The SSD is faster, but not worth the upgrade in my opinion. The form factor is nearly identical. If you are serious about upgrading, I'd recommend one of two things: 1. Buy an Apple refurbished MacBook Air or 2. Wait it out until the retina MacBook Airs are released if you're set on buying new.

I bought a refurbished MacBook Air and received a higher spec model (ordered 4gb of ram and my MacBook Air came with 8gb) from Apple with the same one-year AppleCare that comes standard on all new MacBooks. You may not get the "silent" upgrade, but it always a possibility. Just search the forum and you'll find countless examples. You will certainly receive one that nearly indistinguishable from the current 2014 model for a lot less money. Both the 2013 and 2014 use the same graphics chipset as well. I believe it is the Intel HD Graphics 5000.

If you are considering buying new, then I would suggest waiting for the newer version to be released if you can. The retina screen will be a significant improvement and more worthy upgrade in my opinion. The current screen has a low pixel density and looks a bit washed out. It's the MacBook Air's achilles heal.

I would completely agree with this.
IMO It really isn't worth the upgrade from a 2012 to a 2013/2014 model. I would hang on for the Rumored retina version. Only you know if you feel it is worth it. If you had a 2010 or so I'd say maybe, but a 2012 is still a very solid machine.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
If you legitimately need the extra 6 hours of battery life it's worth the upgrade, otherwise probably not. I read the processor is actually a bit slower on the 13 too

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Are the mid 2012 MBA hard drives replaceable, or are they soldered in?

They are replaceable:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1729071/

My Review of the Transend JetDrive:

My Review of the Transcend JetDrive 520 480GB SSD in a 2012 11" MBA.

My Review also includes a comparison of the JetDrive with the OWC Aura Pro Drive.

I ordered the OWC Aura Pro Drive the day before the Transcend Drives were announced. Before I received the drive, I called OWC to see if they would price match, and the answer was no. So, I thought Shame on Me. OWC's pricing was $449. for a bare drive and $475. for one that included tools and an enclosure for the old SSD. (OWC's pricing has since been reduced to $398. and $419. respectively) I opted for the bare drive. I installed the drive, and as others have noticed, the vertical dimension of the circuit board the components are mounted on is a millimeter or 2 larger than the stock SSD. Others have cut the board, I didn't, I applied a little pressure and it snapped into place. OWCs installation video is, IMO, far better than the Transcend video. Once set up, the SSD seemed to work fine, for awhile, but less than a day later, the drive started giving me problems. I tried repairing it with both Disk utility and Tech Tool Pro, both to no avail. Two days later it happened again. I called OWC and asked for an RMA. They agreed but said I would have to pay a restocking fee and pay for return shipment. I challenged that, saying this was not a capricious return, that the unit was defective and I expected OWC to pay for shipping and refund the full amount. They agreed, and sent me a UPS label.

When ordering the Transcend JetDrive I was quoted a delivery time of from 2 to 4 weeks. The unit was shipped 3 days after the order was placed and I received it one day later, that's 4 days after order placement! The price of the JetDrive 480 GB SSD from Amazon was $350. + Sales Tax (OWC charges no tax in Arizona). If I could have waited longer, I could have bought it from my memory Supplier, Data Memory Systems and not paid Sales Tax, but Transcend has not yet supplied it's distributers with this product.

Upon receipt of the JetDrive, yesterday, the first thing that jumped out at me was the packaging. The OWC SSD came packed in an anti-static bag enclosed in a thin gauge blister packed piece of cardboard with blue printing. It looked the packaging used by Ace Combs. The Transcend packaging on the other hand was impressive. A heavy gauge white slide out box with a full color picture of the SSD. The box was multi layered and contained the drive, the enclosure for the OEM drive, and the tools necessary for installation. Each layer was a plastic bed with depressions sized to fit the associated parts. It also contained an instruction booklet and warranty information. The instructions are, IMHO, inadequate, and only two pages apply, the other 26 pages being written for other languages.

The tools worked very well, and installation was a breeze. the form factor of the circuit board is the same as apple's so no undue pressure was needed for installation. My old SSD fit into the supplied enclosure with no issues.

I then cloned the JetDrive using Tech Tool Pro from the external Hybrid Drive I had been using as the main drive for my MBA. I foolishly ordered my MBA with only the 64GB SSD.

No issues. Everything is working as expected. In terms of speed. I have not measured the speed, but it feels very snappy. I believe the OWC and Transcend drives to be equal here. Transcend even supplies software to enable Apple's Trim support, OWC does not. There is however, third party software that enables Trim, Trim Enabler. I use that anyway for the SSD I use in my Mac Pro.

In ending, I would urge anyone installing the JetDrive in a MBA to watch the OWC installation video, again, it is superior to the Transcend video, and will make things more understandable to you.

The JetDrive is by far the superior product, and as of right now is $69. cheaper than the OWC Aura Pro. When I bought the OWC product, it would have cost $125 more than the corresponding Transcend product.

That IMHO is Value.

Currently, Apple charges $500. to go from a 128GB SSD to a 512GB SSD in the MBA. So, $350. for a 480GB SSD AND you get to keep your old drive, you can't beat that.

Edit - The Transcend drive seems to run color than true OWC drive. When feeling the bottom of my MBA where the SSD is mounted, the area while warm, is not as warm as it was with the OWC unit.

Lou

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
If you legitimately need the extra 6 hours of battery life it's worth the upgrade, otherwise probably not. I read the processor is actually a bit slower on the 13 too

The very slight difference in processor speed is way offset by the PCIe SSD which makes the 13/14 models feel noticeable faster in nearly every aspect. I was quite surprised by just how fast the newer Airs are then the 2012 models.

Can't really go wrong with either machine, but the jump to the PCIe SSD's was a difference maker in performance IMO.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
They are replaceable:

My Review of the Transend JetDrive:

Thanks for the review! I'm looking at a mid 2012 MBA with 64GB SSD for $500, but I was worried about the size if the SSD and have been researching the aftermarket choices.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the review! I'm looking at a mid 2012 MBA with 64GB SSD for $500, but I was worried about the size if the SSD and have been researching the aftermarket choices.

You're welcome. That's the size drive I had in my MBA. It was sheer folly on my part to buy a machine with an SSD that small. But, thank goodness Transend came to the rescue. And in addition, my OE 64GB drive is now mounted in the Transend's external housing as an added bonus.

Lou

Last edited:

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Sounds like a great plan. Now I need to decide if the 2012 is worth $500 + $190 for a 240gb Jetdrive!

JD76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Thank you all for your awesome advice. Im gonna stick with my 2012 until the new one gets announced...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
When is retina MBA expected?

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-air/

Apple is rumored to be working on a 12-inch MacBook with a new ultra slim design and a high resolution Retina display. The first hint of such a product appeared in October of 2013, with KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicating the company would produce a 12-inch MacBook slimmer than even the existing MacBook Airs.

According to Kuo, such a product would boast the portability of the 11-inch model with the productivity of the 13-inch model, with a high resolution display and an improved clamshell structure. His reports were confirmed by NPD DisplaySearch, which indicated Apple was sourcing 12-inch displays for a MacBook Air.

The rumors were further enforced in March of 2014 with a second rumor pointing towards the same ultra thin 12-inch MacBook, which may come without a fan assembly for silent operation and with a revamped trackpad design that doesn’t incorporate a mechanical button.

Digitimes also suggested Apple plans to release a Retina MacBook Air in 2014, but the site did not specify whether the rumored Retina Air was the 12-inch model or an existing 11 or 13-inch model.

It is unknown how the 12-inch MacBook will fit into the MacBook Air lineup, as Apple already produces 11 and 13-inch versions of the portable notebook. It is possible it will coexist with those products, but it could also replace one or both. Either way, the company is expected to release the new MacBook Air product later in 2014, possibly in September or October. Mass production on the new MacBook is expected to begin in the third quarter, according to rumors.

It is unclear when Apple might launch a significant update to its existing MacBook Air lineup, as Intel's next-generation Broadwell chips are said to be significantly delayed and unable to ship until February of 2015.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I personally noticed a large difference in wake from sleep times with my old 2012 13" MBA vs my current 2013 MBA.

I had the opportunity to use my old computer recently while visiting my sister (who inherited said computer). It was noticeably slower waking from sleep than my new computer but otherwise performance was ok. Keep in mind I have a lot more installed and usually running on my computer than my sister who basically uses it like a glorified netbook (sigh...)

But if I was you I would wait for the MBA redesign. It can't be that far off and you can always get by with an external hard drive in the mean time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.