Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
More trashy analyst reporting. It was never delayed, Apple has no problem making a 5.5" phone, or a 6.5" phone, or an iPad Mini, iPad air or any other size device they can imagine and have working, polished, manufacturable models ready to roll.

As many said here on these forums, a 5.5" was unlikely this year, the idea that it would come out a few months after the 4.7" screamed un-apple (the white iPhone was a mistake they won't make again quickly) and now the 'ever reliable' Kuo is backing off his random blatherings.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
We have this article for every single iPhone that has been released since the 3GS. :rolleyes:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The fact that we haven't seen a front face for the 5.5 tells us that it will not happen this year. I just can't see them doing the 5.5. Apple takes its time when moving to different form factors.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
If companies followed your line of reasoning, there wouldn't be innovation in technology.

What do you mean? if one type of display has a better yield and better quality why use one that is inferior?

If you can elaborate on more that would be nice.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I wouldn't bet against the iPhone coming in 2 screen sizes. I don't understand why so many people around here are getting irrationally angry about how this phone doesn't exist and it's the worst idea ever etc. etc. Why do you all care so much? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
I love this site, but I must say, sometimes the rumors are misleading.
Last week they said September, this week 2015, whats next????
This is very confusing. :confused::(

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Didn't we hear the same thing about the retina iPad mini? One minute it was happening, the next it wasn't, the next it was.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
It was NEVER coming! Yes, I believe they HAD a prototype, but that's it!

Why not you say?

1.) iPad sales would plummet (yeah yeah I know us loyalist will buy it but...).

2.) They will contradict EVERYHING that they have been marketing!

3.) iOS 7 added many gestures that only make sense with one handed use.

4.) Lastly, why should they? You were going to buy it anyways! :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.

Apple is dying a slow death? Based on what? Selling more smartphones than anyone not names Samsung? The same Samsung that had YOY revenue and profit declines for the last three quarters?

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
The thing that baffles me is that Apple has likely been working on this since prior to the 5s release. They're this close to a launch announcement and they haven't ironed out production issues? They are still concerned with the Safire display?

This is nothing new for them. It seems to happen with regularity.

It looks amateurish.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe Apple should have a CEO who has experience in logistics...oh wait :eek:

Tim Cook is the worst CEO.

Tim Cook is the worst CEO because according to an "analyst" a product that we don't even know if it exists is delayed? WTF?

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
What do you mean? if one type of display has a better yield and better quality why use one that is inferior?

If you can elaborate on more that would be nice.

You are making an assumption that in-cell technology is inferior. Developing new manufacturing processes are essential to advancement of new technologies. Do you think Samsung had high yields on its display tech right away?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The thing that baffles me is that Apple has likely been working on this since prior to the 5s release. They're this close to a launch announcement and they haven't ironed out production issues? They are still concerned with the Safire display?

This is nothing new for them. It seems to happen with regularity.

It looks amateurish.

We have NO idea if a 5.5" phone was ever really in the works. We still don't know if it exists. Just because some analyst says there are production issues and every rumor site rushes to publish it doesn't make it fact. :rolleyes:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I remember reading same nonesense about iPad Mini 2..production issues..limited release...shortage if stock..blah blah..and yet iPad Mini 2 was released on time with no shortage of stock whatsoever..it was available everywhere..
And now same nonesense about iPhone 6..

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
With every pre-product launch the same claims are made, going be this notion you'd think Apple decides the specifications and physical form of their devices a month before their final release date.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
I'll be willing to give these leaks for the 5.5 until Early-ish-mid August, if we don't have any part leaks that regards the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, it's completely fake. It'd be nice to have, sure, but it isn't something Apple would do.

4.7 is a perfect size for the iPhone, anything more would be silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.