Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
The compiler isn't very solid. It throws around bugs and strange messages all the time and many things don't work at all. OpenGL for example is currently not accessible. The term Alpha would better fit then Beta...

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
The compiler isn't very solid. It throws around bugs and strange messages all the time and many things don't work at all. OpenGL for example is currently not accessible. The term Alpha would better fit then Beta...
I've seen much worse Xcode betas than this.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Didn't visual studio used to cost like $500-$2000?

$99 seems pretty cheap to me...

This is true, many development packages have changed to a new price platform.

Apple is also changing things with PC OS's... MicroSoft made HUGE money from Windows and now Apple is giving away OSX, which is a better OS.

Apple is doing battle on two different fronts, MS doesn't have a strong hold on the mobile market, but they are making nice gains.
Android doesn't have a PC OS, but they have a strong and growing hold on the mobile market.

Apple has a strong hold on both the PC and mobile markets and has been making some smart moves that Android might have trouble with (interaction between PC and Mobile)

However, Apple could allow someone to have 2 test devices at no charge, just no submission to the AppStore or other devices.

I've paid for 2 years of membership and didn't go past my own test device, so I haven't renewed for over 2 years now and I'll probably wait several more months.

Testing and learning can take a good long while, esp when Apple comes out with updates so often.

If Swift is supposed to make developers life easier, being able to learn on the device would be along the same lines.

One other option is to jailbrake the device, but I don't know much about that.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
NDA violation, EULA agreement violation, Terms and Services agreement violation. So since that is all out of the way is there a service out there that does not only add your device to their list of UDID's for download the beta iOS but a service that actually sets you up to be able to develop and deploy apps you your personal devices? I would love to get into this Swift programming but im not going to pay apple 100 bucks a year to strengthen their no language. Basically I don't want to make money of my apps. Hell I don't even want them on the app store. I just want my personal iPad to display "hello world" when I open an app I wrote.

To me it's worth the money if you're learning and that makes you happy.

There is something super satisfying about seeing even the simplest apps on your device.

----------

Didn't visual studio used to cost like $500-$2000?

$99 seems pretty cheap to me...

Depends on the version of Visual Studio. Enterprise is around $13,000 (or was when we bought it). Also it gets more pricey if people buy Microsofts garbage "Team Foundation Server". Seriously that thing is a nightmare to use.

I would rather work on a hybrid ME/Vista machine programming in x86 Assembler than use TFS.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
To me it's worth the money if you're learning and that makes you happy.

There is something super satisfying about seeing even the simplest apps on your device.

----------

Depends on the version of Visual Studio. Enterprise is around $13,000 (or was when we bought it). Also it gets more pricey if people buy Microsofts garbage "Team Foundation Server". Seriously that thing is a nightmare to use.

I would rather work on a hybrid ME/Vista machine programming in x86 Assembler than use TFS.

Dam, MS isn't going to get a lot of developers to jump in at those prices. From what I see, VS compares to Xcode and Xcode is free. MS better get their act together or they won't stand a chance.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
MS isn't going to get a lot of developers to jump in at those prices.

They don't need to. They have them already. The vast majority of desktop application developers only know how to code on MS Windows systems. So MS can make them pay $$$$.

But, strangely enough, for their phone platform, where they only interest a fraction of all mobile developers, most of the tools required are completely free.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Xcode 6 is already a beta. Your post makes no since.

We all here know that Xcode 6 was released as a beta on June 2nd.
If you read the context (the previous posts and the post I was replying to) you would understand that I was referring to a PUBLIC BETA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
It won't - I will be a wonder if Xcode6 with Swift gets finished till release. It is a far way from stable enough for a public beta.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Very Curious.....

So, when a person actually plunks down the $99-$100 for the App Developer Program, what all do they get with it? Are they then able to create an app and place it on their own iPad device? Can they actually let their friends have it on their iPad's as well, or can others only get the app by getting it thru the app store?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
So, when a person actually plunks down the $99-$100 for the App Developer Program, what all do they get with it? Are they then able to create an app and place it on their own iPad device? Can they actually let their friends have it on their iPad's as well, or can others only get the app by getting it thru the app store?

You get to load your apps on your test devices. If you wanted to, you could use your friends device, I don't know how many you are allowed.

You can submit to the appstore.

IIRC, the enterprise account allows you to deploy straight to a number of devices. This is designed for a company that wants their app on all their devices.

I think you also get more access to help from the developer forums or help with a number of issues, so if you're having a problem, Apple techs help you for a limited number of issues.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

See here:
https://developer.apple.com/library...uide/TestingYouriOSApp/TestingYouriOSApp.html
Each iOS device in an ad hoc provisioning profile is identified by its unique device ID (UDID). The devices you register and add to a provisioning profile are stored by Member Center. Each individual or company can register up to 100 devices per membership year for development and testing.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Oh, And Just One More Thing...

Thanks guys for the info! If a person joins the iOS Developer Program late in the year, like September, does their $99 only get them to the end of the year, or does thir year roll into the next year all the way up to September of the next year?

:confused:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Thanks guys for the info! If a person joins the iOS Developer Program late in the year, like September, does their $99 only get them to the end of the year, or does thir year roll into the next year all the way up to September of the next year?

:confused:

It's anniversary based. You get 365 days, with a reminder e-mail at the 60 day and 30 day point to your sign up date for renewal options.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Dam, MS isn't going to get a lot of developers to jump in at those prices. From what I see, VS compares to Xcode and Xcode is free. MS better get their act together or they won't stand a chance.

Thats for the top of the line enterprise edition. M$ offers a robust express edition for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't pay right now simply because Xcode beta 2 was crashing all the time, beta 3 seems to be better so far, but some people have noticed things missing like the empty template.

Then again its a beta so there you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.