Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:37 PM   #51
Paulshaqz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
how many times are we gonna hear the samething over and over again i mean really!
Paulshaqz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:38 PM   #52
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Exactly. If Apple want to make a 5.5", they'll make it.

There will be no sapphire screen on either new iPhone, that will be the feature they use for the iphone 6s.

That makes zero sense. The 'S' series phones don't feature redesigns.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:42 PM   #53
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816
 
AngerDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: doing the Dada Polka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.
What utter tosh! Apple, for all of its flaws, can do one thing right, and that is manufacture smartphones. They've been doing an award-winningly good job of it for the past 8 years, and consumer satisfaction tops all other phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
That makes zero sense. The 'S' series phones don't feature redesigns.
In all fairness, changing the material of the front panel isn't necessarily a complete redesign.

Besides, the iPhone 5S gained a fingerprint scanner, which brought about a redesigned home button.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jul 13, 2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: wording & quote order
AngerDanger is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:44 PM   #54
ChanneledDan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
It was NEVER coming! Yes, I believe they HAD a prototype, but that's it!

Why not you say?

1.) iPad sales would plummet (yeah yeah I know us loyalist will buy it but...).

2.) They will contradict EVERYHING that they have been marketing!

3.) iOS 7 added many gestures that only make sense with one handed use.

4.) Lastly, why should they? You were going to buy it anyways!
1.) I'm not so sure. If anything people might be more likely to buy a larger iPhone and a full size iPad rather than an iPhone + iPad Mini.

2.) Apple doesn't care about the past. That Steve Jobs quote about watching video on an iPod?...

3.) actually I think the back/forward edge swipes are so you don't have to reach your thumb all the way to the navigation Bharat the top of the screen. You know, in case they're planning on making the screen bigger...
ChanneledDan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:49 PM   #55
IGregory
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Let me see if I understand. Are you telling me Samsung, HTC, and LG have mastered the larger screen phones and Apple is having difficulty? Baloney!
__________________
The happy owner of a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, iPad Air and iPhone 5s .
IGregory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:51 PM   #56
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I don't think they will release two phones a few months apart from each other.

They either both come out later this year, if the 5.5 is still on the radar, or they release it next year on the S cycle, if ever.

From the very beginning when people were saying the assumption is the 5.5 will come a few weeks or months later was completely illogical knowing Apple first of all, and second of all it makes no sense because everyone would hesitate to buy the 4.7 and be confused.

Whatever the rumors indicated doesn't matter because Apple would never do that and is unprecedented.

This is the worst news since they dropped the 17inch MBP.
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:51 PM   #57
iKane
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
That makes zero sense. The 'S' series phones don't feature redesigns.
The iPhone 5s changed the colour of the black and white iPhone 5s (<~ that's iPhone "fives") as well as bringing in an entirely new colour, and included a fingerprint scanner which included a whole new design for the home button.
iKane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:54 PM   #58
ebouwman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
I know every product faces yield issues and screen issues at some point in production, but how is it the 4.7 would face less than the 5.5? Why doesn't samsung have these problems? Different display tech? Why doesn't apple use the type Samsung uses if that is the case?
You're making a couple silly assumptions here. For 1) you assume that the only difference between the 4.7 and 5.5 is the screen size 2) you're assuming this rumour is true 3) you assume that Samsung doesn't have these problems.

There are a million factors that could potentially delay the 5.5 inch phone but at this point we can't even call it a delay on out end because THE PHONE HASNT BEEN ANNOUNCED YET. A couple of you guys seem to be all like oh Samsung doesn't have these problems, HTC doesn't have these problems. I don't know of it still is but Apple was the single largest smartphone manufacturer a few years ago, producing more smartphones that samsung HTC or any others individually so you can't even directly compare them.

EDIT. I'm probably wrong on this last point about Apple making more phones than Samsung but I still think it's very unfair to compare the two companies when realistically we know NOTHING about the logistics of either company!

Last edited by ebouwman; Jul 13, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
ebouwman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:54 PM   #59
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerDanger View Post
In all fairness, changing the material of the front panel isn't necessarily a complete redesign.

Besides, the iPhone 5S gained a fingerprint scanner, which brought about a redesigned home button.
True, but a brand new screen out of sapphire seems to me like a big redesign. I suppose it could get pushed to 2015 if there are manufacturing issues but I don't think Apple would intentionally keep it for the 'S' series phone. Apple is going to want something besides a larger screen to crow about this fall.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:00 PM   #60
StyxMaker
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
There have not been any 5.5" part leaks BECAUSE A 5.5 IS NOT COMING OUT!

I have to agree, 5.5" iPhone 6 never existed other than, perhaps, as a prototype. There is no evidence they ever had plans to release one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWorld View Post
I love this site, but I must say, sometimes the rumors are misleading.

Last week they said September, this week 2015, whats next????

This is very confusing.

That's the nature of rumors.
StyxMaker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:00 PM   #61
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKane View Post
The iPhone 5s changed the colour of the black and white iPhone 5s as well as bringing in an entirely new colour, and included a fingerprint scanner which included a whole new design for the home button.
Yes, but I wouldn't consider a new color a redesign. The form factor stayed the same, except for the new home button to support Touch ID . I just have a hard time believing Apple would intentionally delay a sapphire screen until next year.

Apple earnings release is in a week or so, so I won't be surprised if we see more FUD come out to drive the stock down.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:12 PM   #62
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
I have it under good authority, Apple will delay the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6xl until September 2014. Apple is also having trouble with the iPhone 6sXL design that may not be released until q4, 2015.


/s.
Ralf The Dog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:13 PM   #63
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
With a completely new case design potentially using new materials, it's expected that there would be production issues, on both the 4.7" and 5.5" model. It will take a few months until they can ramp up the production to meet worldwide demand.

So to me it makes sense that Apple would want to first concentrate their efforts on the 4.7" model, which will be the most popular.

And lessons learned while mass producing the 4.7" will be applied to future production of the 5.5" for a smoother launch in 2015.
Casiotone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:14 PM   #64
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a
 
luckydcxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.
their last quarter just set a new record.
__________________
Write the code. Change the world.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:18 PM   #65
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Three pages and no one has stated the obvious:

This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were alive!


/s
sjinsjca is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:18 PM   #66
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney Spears View Post
The general lack of info on the 5.5" iPhone is upsetting.
Don't think we should expect it, at this point. 💔

Guess I'll hold on to my 5S another year.
I'm buying the 4.7" anyway, so I guess I don't care if the Phablet is delayed.
KPOM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:21 PM   #67
iChrist
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 3 countries for tax benefit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
That makes zero sense. The 'S' series phones don't feature redesigns.
Changing from gorilla glass on the 6 to sapphire on the 6s isn't a redesign. Was adding the fingerprint sensor a redesign?

__________________
"We should think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone--an image made by man's design and skill."
iChrist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:23 PM   #68
Tthomas612
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lexington, Ky
I've never believed in this 5.5" iPhone anyways. When all the leaks started coming they were all 4.7" parts. We've seen a couple 5.5" mockups and a back panel or something. That's it.

The iPhone lineup will end up being iPhone 6, 5s and 5c.

Who's to say this 5.5" wasn't some prototype anyway.
Tthomas612 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:25 PM   #69
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Love to see the cost analysis of using Foxconn vs. the domestic Apple facility in quality control issues and cost of labor. If the iPhone 6 is a premium smartphone, why not make it in the USA?
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:27 PM   #70
TheDoctor1010
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
I doubt it...
I agree... In all reality, who needs the larger device when one should already have an iPad and with ios8 coming, everything will seamlessly work together.
__________________
Because it's the best idea ever invented in the history of the world!
TheDoctor1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:28 PM   #71
newdeal
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
uh I think its been obvious for awhile that there never was a 5.5" iPhone. Also these reports are BS because there is no reason that the casing would be an issue apple has been using coloured aluminum casings for years. The in cell is unlikely to be an issue also there are many other phones with larger displays which has no issue. The issue is that the 5.5" was stupid because if its anything like the mockups apple needs to attack bezel height more than thickness before they try to release a phone with such a large display or it won't even fit in your pocket without sliding out the top (galaxy notes have this issue)
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:29 PM   #72
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
this reminds me of when the white iphone 4 was delayed till like a month before the release of the 4s

at any rate it'll be good for apple. they'll get a sales boost mid cycle when this is released after christmas, giving them a big bump before having to wait till the following fall for the new model.
joejoejoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:30 PM   #73
wigby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
In other words, both sizes will be released at the same time but quantities of the larger size are very limited. Who didn't see this coming? It happens every release cycle to some variant of iPhone. Worthless rumor.
wigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:35 PM   #74
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Va
And the 48 hour countdown for the "5.5" model to be released with 4.7" model" article starts, that seems to be about the time for these posts going back and forth.
__________________
Canon and Mac
1Zach1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:37 PM   #75
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.
...what?

Even taking into account Android, 66% of the smartphone market this year has been phones under 5.5 inches.

Like, I get that people want 'phablet' size iPhones, but Apple is not dying a slow death and will not die a slow death if they only release the 4.7 phone. There simply isn't enough demand for the 5.5 phone - at this point, anyway. Even people who are buying other OS' favour the 4.7 size and under.

At this point I think it is simply more likely that the 5.5 phone was not slated for release this year at all. Given that we haven't seen any parts at all, this is the most likely scenario. So if we see it at all, it will probably be next year at the regular release time.
kerrikins is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC