Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Launches iOS Version of Multiplayer Augmented Reality Game 'Ingress'

Google's mobile-augmented reality game Ingress today launched for iOS devices, coming seven months after the game's general release on Android. The title's product manager confirmed last October that an iOS version of the game was in the works after a closed beta saw over ten thousand active players a month and one million total activations.

The title's story centers around The Enlightened and The Resistance, two factions who compete against each other to unlock clues about a mystical technology. Events in the game progress in real-time as Google delivers new clues each week, while players claim local landmarks in the real-world to earn points for their respective team.

Quote:
The World is the Game
Move through the real world using your iOS device and the Ingress app to discover and tap sources of this mysterious energy. Acquire objects to aid in your quest, deploy tech to capture territory, and ally with other players to advance the cause of the Enlightened or the Resistance.

Strategy
The struggle is being played out globally. Track the progress of players around the world, plan your next steps, and communicate with others using an Intelligence map.

Form Alliances
The struggle to save the planet spans the entire world. Groups of people acting together can be more effective than individuals acting alone. Cooperation across neighborhoods, cities, and countries will be needed to achieve the ultimate victory.
Ingress is a free app for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Launches iOS Version of Multiplayer Augmented Reality Game 'Ingress'
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

hey

does this qualify as tracking software?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:56 PM   #3
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

First time that I've heard of it. Looks very cool. I like how it encourages people to get out into the world.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilana View Post
I would think so, yes. Gold mine of info for Google.

(hey, did you get your Mac Pro super bucket yet?)
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

These AR games always seem to fall flat, yet there's something promising in the concept--whether this is a winner or not, I hope the experiments continue!

(The most promising that I've see is Seek 'N' Spell, but that doesn't depend on a worldwide playerbase--you set up a local game as desired.)

I'm at least interested to check it out. I'm having a hard time Googling for serious reviews of the game; I can only find "stories" about it existing. I guess app store reviews will have to do. (Or TouchArcade may step up to the task.)

Hopefully you don't need a Google account to play (another way they can associate your real-world movements, habits, and identity with your online searches, relationships, and purchasing). But if you do... it's easy enough to create a new one. (Although I'm sure Google is smart about tying multiple accounts together into one "master dossier" of info. All they'd need is to notice that I play this game from the same IP address as I check my "real" account's GMail from.)
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:20 PM   #5
usamaah
macrumors member

I know a few people who play this game. They enjoy it. There's a community around this game, those that play get to meet new people in the process.

I'm sure there will be most posts re: "OMG Google's tricking people into being tracked by playing a game" but the truth is that Google was always able to track you (on Android). The point here is that this game, which is a sleeper hit among the Android crowd, now is on iOS, which will help expand the game community further. I think that's great.
usamaah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:34 PM   #6
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilana View Post
How else does Google make their money?
MonstaMash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:23 AM   #7
MoxFulder
macrumors newbie

Needs Google+ account - deleted.
MoxFulder is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:47 AM   #8
wordup60
macrumors newbie

This isn't about tracking people, it's about ground truthing for Google Maps. A bit like ReCAPTCHA moved on from digitising books to identifying street numbers.
wordup60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:25 AM   #9
larpa
macrumors newbie

Where is the augmented reality in this game? Context aware does not automatically mean AR.
larpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:25 AM   #10
ErikGrim
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ErikGrim Send a message via MSN to ErikGrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxFulder View Post
Ha. Non-starter.
ErikGrim is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:28 AM   #11
Deagon
macrumors newbie

it's a great game. Makes you really get out and explore. You will learn a lot about ur local areas history and key community places.
Just glad now I don't have to lug around my Nexus 7 everywhere to play.
Deagon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:48 AM   #12
sprezz
macrumors member

Virtual Reality meets Reality...
sprezz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:28 AM   #13
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Unfortunately in this game, iOS users are at a disadvantage due to the weak battery life of our devices

It looks pretty graphics intensive, and combined with the location usage I'd be lucky to get 45 minutes out of my iPhone 5's battery playing this.

Another thing: they shouldn't have bothered putting the faction choice in the iOS version. Should have just been "Enlightened" automatically.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:40 AM   #14
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Ingress looks like an experimental research.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:21 AM   #15
sully54
macrumors member

Impressed up until it told me to walk to a portal. Then I just closed the app and watched cat videos on YouTube. Couldn't be bothered to leave my house today.
sully54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:25 AM   #16
Craiger
macrumors 6502a

Doesn't seem to work in iOS 8 if anyone was wondering. closes immediately for me.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:50 AM   #17
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxFulder View Post
Ditto
dugbug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Is anyone having trouble running this on a jailbroken device? Every time I launch the app on jailbroken iOS 6, it shows the splash screen for about a second, then crashes to the home screen.

Since there is a jailbreak tweak that allows you to spoof your location (which would give you an unfair advantage), do you think the deliberately disabled it from running on jailbroken devices?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
Since there is a jailbreak tweak that allows you to spoof your location (which would give you an unfair advantage), do you think the deliberately disabled it from running on jailbroken devices?
Seems plausible. It runs fine on my non-jailbroken iPhone.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:39 AM   #20
sabont
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Doesn't seem to work in iOS 8 if anyone was wondering. closes immediately for me.
Same here, note to other developers using iOS 8 (beta 3) on an AT&T iPhone 5 is crashing immediately after splash screen.
sabont is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:49 AM   #21
jdawgnoonan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Unfortunately in this game, iOS users are at a disadvantage due to the weak battery life of our devices

It looks pretty graphics intensive, and combined with the location usage I'd be lucky to get 45 minutes out of my iPhone 5's battery playing this.

Another thing: they shouldn't have bothered putting the faction choice in the iOS version. Should have just been "Enlightened" automatically.
It eats a lot of battery on my Nexus 5 as well. Most people who play carry a power brick. A lot of people play.
jdawgnoonan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:22 AM   #22
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordup60 View Post
This isn't about tracking people, it's about ground truthing for Google Maps. A bit like ReCAPTCHA moved on from digitising books to identifying street numbers.
When that happened I first noticed it on a blog. I was rather tempted to sit there hitting refresh until my house number showed up.
GeneralChang is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:17 AM   #23
mfram
macrumors 6502a

This game is the reason I was looking forward to the larger iPhone 6. It will suck if the big new iPhone is really delayed.

I'm a long-time player of the game. What's cool about the game is that it gets you out to see places in your city you probably haven't seen before. Also helps promote exercise since you physically have to go to the locations. I've met lots of new people in my area playing the game.

Give the game a try! If you do, be sure to try and connect with experienced players in your area. They will help introduce you to the community of players in your area.
mfram is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:43 AM   #24
Good User Name
macrumors member

Shadowcities

Now that Shadowcities is completely dead this product should have no trouble at all.
Good User Name is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:48 AM   #25
TypeEE
macrumors member

does it support google cardboard?
TypeEE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion