Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickleRollS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Hello,
I'm a novice at this, but I recently did some work on my Macbook, and surprisingly it turned out ok! One of the brackets in the rear case was broken, one of the hinges snapped, the computer was getting very slow, and my superdrive hasn't been working for a long time. So I followed repair guides online and replaced/upgraded the ram, replaced the bracket and hinge, replaced the superdrive, and everything is working great...except the superdrive.

When I slide a disc in, it takes it, makes some spinny noises, some robot eating cereal noises...and keeps it. Nothing pops up asking me what I want to do with the files. Now, I suppose I shouldn't have tried it the first time with my CD of photos from my (recent) wedding, but any ideas on what to do now? What could be wrong to prevent my old superdrive AND the new one from working properly?

Thanks.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Have you checked disk utility to see if it might be showing up there and just not in the finder?

Also you should be able to force eject it by holding down the mouse button on startup. Might give that a shot.

Not sure why it wouldn't be working unless it's another bad drive. I have had that happen. Where the lazer had issues and could read DVD but not cd's.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello,
I'm a novice at this, but I recently did some work on my Macbook, and surprisingly it turned out ok! One of the brackets in the rear case was broken, one of the hinges snapped, the computer was getting very slow, and my superdrive hasn't been working for a long time. So I followed repair guides online and replaced/upgraded the ram, replaced the bracket and hinge, replaced the superdrive, and everything is working great...except the superdrive.

When I slide a disc in, it takes it, makes some spinny noises, some robot eating cereal noises...and keeps it. Nothing pops up asking me what I want to do with the files. Now, I suppose I shouldn't have tried it the first time with my CD of photos from my (recent) wedding, but any ideas on what to do now? What could be wrong to prevent my old superdrive AND the new one from working properly?

Thanks.

A bad optical drive cable can cause that. I doubt it was the problem the first time, but it may have been damaged during removal. Don't feel bad I bent pins on my iBook's cables before and I do repairs all the time :(. A new cable should test if it is the issue. Otherwise, the new drive may be a dud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.