Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcao3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Extremely unlucky but not everyone can be lucky...
dropped my iPhone 5c down the drain. absolutely devastated as my last phone fell down the toilet after I put it in my back pocket during a night out

This time I got out the car and it was on my lap and it slid down the drain. It was like a living horror nightmare. I couldn't believe my eyes.... Out of all the places, the car stopped by the drain and a small one might I add. It slipped down and thought I had no hope of getting it. An hour or two later my stepdad came back from his house and managed to grab a tool to remove the covering of the drain and grabbed the iPhone.

I immediately put the phone in a bowl full of rice. I think my phone was out of battery so I didn't need to turn it off or anything like that (although it would've done that itself when it stopped working)
Although last time my phone was saved (except the wifi which stopped working which is why I got a new phone), I'm worried that my phone being submerged for quite a while will not turn back on even if I left it in rice. I think I will leave it in there for a couple of days before I check.
do you think 2 hours of swimming in drain water has left me with no chance? I know the rice trick does work but most forums have said to take it out of water quickly....

What do you think? Do you know of any success stories?
Thank you

Last edited:

jcao3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I think there are a chance of recovering your phone, mine works after I dropped it

Thank you!! I really hope so. How long was your phone submerged in water for? I'm just worried that hour period allowed it to get inside and do some real damage. My last phone was submerged for 20 seconds and the rice trick worked!

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Thank you!! I really hope so. How long was your phone submerged in water for? I'm just worried that hour period allowed it to get inside and do some real damage. My last phone was submerged for 20 seconds and the rice trick worked!

Any type of accidental coverage for it?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Nope... Yes, I am very foolish. If the rice trick works I will be sure to insure it!

This is your second accident. Maybe insurance should have been thought of earlier. If the rice works you'll insure it? With who? It's a little late now.

Good luck though.

jcao3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
This is your second accident. Maybe insurance should have been thought of earlier. If the rice works you'll insure it? With who? It's a little late now.

Good luck though.

True. But when you're a student trying to save you don't think about paying out additional costs ever month unless it is absolutely necessary! I agree. I have been a fool. I can insure it online. It would be okay as if my phone starts to work again I will insure it obviously as working product. Alternatively I may trade in my old iPhone and pay the difference for a new one. I don't want to do that but it may have to be done... really hope rice works its wonders again. The waiting game is torturous.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
True. But when you're a student trying to save you don't think about paying out additional costs ever month unless it is absolutely necessary! I agree. I have been a fool. I can insure it online. It would be okay as if my phone starts to work again I will insure it obviously as working product. Alternatively I may trade in my old iPhone and pay the difference for a new one. I don't want to do that but it may have to be done... really hope rice works its wonders again. The waiting game is torturous.

I'd recommend T-Mobile. Incredible network along with their Jump program that lets you upgrade anytime and gives your phone insurance for $10 a month. Im a student as well and I just switched to them and so far I've been incredibly happy

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
If this is a storm drain, the water that the phone in is going to be quite contaminated. So who knows what type of mineral buildup will be inside after the water dries up.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The phone is most likely dead. If you can revive it, there's a pretty good chance that spending 2 hours in a storm drain will have significantly shortened it's life.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Good luck though.

sp_1411_clip05.jpg

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
To add to this story, a couple of years ago I ran into the sea in Mexico, and THEN realised that my phone was in the pocket of my shorts!

It hadnt been in there long, however it was totally screwed, the flash kept flickering on and off along with the screen and.....well.....it was ruined beyond repair. My sad effort of sucking the water out of the headphone socket was in vain :/

I took it to the genius bar and they advised me that water damage is outside of warranty (which I knew but I was trying to wing it). However they very kindly replaced the phone with a re-manufactured one for £129. Much better than paying full price for a new replacement. Might be your best course of action if it comes to it.

Horrible feeling isnt it? I still wake up in a cold sweat every now and then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.