Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPad may be the cause of unexplained allergic rashes in children, reports The Washington Post, which cites a case study of an 11-year-old boy that was published in Pediatrics medical journal.

retina_ipad_mini_colors_front_back.jpg

The Pediatrics article focuses on an 11-year-old boy who may be allergic to the nickel used in the casing of the tablet device. Following the increasing use of an iPad, the patient developed a rash that would not respond to conventional treatment.
His skin tested positive for nickel, one of the most common allergy-inducing metals, and doctors traced it back to an iPad he had used with increasing frequency the past six months. The iPad tested positive for nickel as well, according to the report.
Doctors advised the boy to use a Smart Case that covers the entire outer surface of the tablet. Similar to other reports of electronic device-induced rashes, the boy's skin condition improved significantly when he started using a case that prevented direct contact with the device.

As noted by the Associated Press, nickel allergies in children appear to be on the rise, with 25 percent of those receiving skin tests testing positive for nickel allergies, up from 17 percent a decade ago.

This iPad isn't the only device implicated in skin rashes. Earlier this year, Fitbit voluntarily recalled its Force fitness tracker after a growing number of users developed contact dermatitis from wearing the band. The rash was originally attributed to nickel in the charging port of the band, but that metal may not be involved as many users covered the nickel-containing port with tape and continued to experience a rash.

Update 3:00 PM PT: Apple has provided a statement to The Wall Street Journal noting that its products meet strict standards set for jewelry by the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission.
"Apple's products are made from the highest quality materials and meet the same strict standards set for jewelry by both the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission and their counterparts in Europe," Apple said.

Article Link: iPad Implicated in Pediatric Rashes Diagnosed as Nickel Allergies [Updated]

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
I clearly told Tommy not to put nickel on those ipads...the guy just doesnt listen....its all about how thick the 2014 pipeline is!

Reactions: Ani100

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
NEWS! - Boy with allergy reacts to something that contains the thing he's allergic to.

SHOCKER!

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Samsung's next advert praising the allergy free high quality plastics used in their devices. Portrays Apple users as having terrible skin conditions.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
This is stupid as stated. And who lets an 11 year old use an ipad without a case? I wouldn't let my wife use an ipad without a case.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
NEWS! - Boy with allergy reacts to something that contains the thing he's allergic to.

SHOCKER!

How do we know he had such an allergy? The thing with allergies is they pop up unexpectedly, he could have been fine one day and the next, the rashes started breaking out.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
As noted by the Associated Press, nickel allergies in children appear to be on the rise, with 25 percent of those receiving skin tests testing positive for nickel allergies, up from 17 percent a decade ago.

I suspect we are just getting better at diagnosing nickel allergies, rather than an actual increase in the prevalence in the population.

Digging a tad into the literature:

It is likely that mobile phone dermatitis is underreported, especially among paediatric patients. The incidence of adolescents using mobile phones is on the rise,2 and nickel, a common metal allergen found in mobile phones,10 is the most common allergy found in patch-tested children.43 With the increased use of smartphones, which include not only phone capabilities but also e-mail, texting, Internet, and gaming functionalities, it is likely that greater numbers of young adults will develop mobile phone ACD.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

SHOCKER!
No, he became allergic to it, especially considering the gradual worsening. There was no indications in the paper that he was allergic to nickel prior to using the iPad.

I also got nickel allergy from my 1. generation iPad.

How did this make a front page news story...?
Because a potent allergy inducing product line could become a major health issue forcing Apple to take it off the market?

Nickel allergy is common. Makes me wonder why Apple use nickel in the alloy of a tablet casing when it's supposed to be held in the hand.
Indeed, it is weird they didn't think more about it, especially considering how "green" they want to be these days.
So stupid and irrelevant it hurts.
Your post? Indeed.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
This is stupid as stated. And who lets an 11 year old use an ipad without a case? I wouldn't let my wife use an ipad without a case.

He's perfectly within reason to use it without a case.

Just because you're protective of your tech products doesn't mean that everyone else is too.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I suspect we are just getting better at diagnosing nickel allergies, rather than an actual increase in the prevalence in the population.

Digging a tad into the literature:

Were not getting better at it, anyone medical knows how common it is and has for decades. It gives people itchy rash. So does poison ivy. So what. If you have a contact allergy with something, don't contact it! Its why there are gold earring posts, tons of people can't do stainless steel earring posts because itchy rash. It is rediculous that this is headline mainstream news. OMG put a $3 cover from amazon on it!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Because a potent allergy inducing product line could become a major health issue forcing Apple to take it off the market?

Doubtful, nickel is a relatively common allergen. It typically manifests as a type 4 hypersensitivity of the allergic contact dermatitis type. While irritating it isn't as severe as a food allergy that could be deadly. For instance, because of that I doubt we are going to see the same reaction schools have had towards nuts over the last decade or so in foods with nickel.

It would be more likely that reports like this push manufactures to gradually reduce their reliance of nickel on the cosmetic portions of their devices.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple's iPad may be the cause of unexplained allergic rashes in children, reports The Washington Post, which cites a case study of an 11-year-old boy that was published in Pediatrics medical journal.

The Pediatrics article focuses on an 11-year-old boy who may be allergic to the nickel used in the casing of the tablet device. Following the increasing use of an iPad, the patient developed a rash that would not respond to conventional treatment.Doctors advised the boy to use a Smart Case that covers the entire outer surface of the tablet. Similar to other reports of electronic device-induced rashes, the boy's skin condition improved significantly when he started using a case that prevented direct contact with the device.

This iPad isn't the only device implicated in skin rashes. Earlier this year, Fitbit voluntarily recalled its Force fitness tracker after a growing number of users developed contact dermatitis from wearing the band. The rash was originally attributed to nickel in the charging port of the band, but that metal may not be involved as many users covered the nickel-containing port with tape and continued to experience a rash.

Article Link: iPad Implicated in Pediatric Rashes Diagnosed as Nickel Allergies

What they really meant to say is that it was a Samsung Galaxy S5 thatc caused the rash. There has been a 'rash' of deception coming out of that company, trying to make Apple look bad, and the like, and this is where the story got lost on the readers.

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
200+ million of those things are around and I've never heard anyone have an allergy. Some people are allergic to anything I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.