Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
My iphone 4 is finally starting to die so I'll be in the market for a new device soon. With the new iphone being rumored to move to bigger screen sizes the iphone is now losing the main advantage it had over android to me, so I'll be considering other phones. Since I've had a couple phones get water damaged I would love to have one that is waterproof. As for the screen size I prefer smaller screen sizes so 4" or less if it has to be a bigger one then I would want one that is actually going to be big enough to use as a tablet so probably 5.5" or even a bit more. I'm ok with ones that are a bit older if they are significantly cheaper as I don't have a huge budget, but I need one that I unlocked.

So any suggestions if what phone to get, and it doesn't have to be limited to android, I'm good with trying any OS.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My iphone 4 is finally starting to die so I'll be in the market for a new device soon. With the new iphone being rumored to move to bigger screen sizes the iphone is now losing the main advantage it had over android to me, so I'll be considering other phones. Since I've had a couple phones get water damaged I would love to have one that is waterproof. As for the screen size I prefer smaller screen sizes so 4" or less if it has to be a bigger one then I would want one that is actually going to be big enough to use as a tablet so probably 5.5" or even a bit more. I'm ok with ones that are a bit older if they are significantly cheaper as I don't have a huge budget, but I need one that I unlocked.

So any suggestions if what phone to get, and it doesn't have to be limited to android, I'm good with trying any OS.

Most of your options are going to be larger phones--Galaxy S5 and S5 Active, Sony Xperia Z2 quickly come to mind. That being said, I picked up an Xperia Z1 Compact from another MacRumors member a few months back for pretty much the same reasons you did--wanted a secondary device to my iPhone 5S, preferred smaller form factory, needed a decent camera, waterproof being a bonus. While I'm not using it on an everyday basis, it's a pretty damn good device. Sony's skin over Android is fairly minimal, display is decent but not great (not as bright as more recent offerings but 720p resolution is more than enough on 4.3" display). Performance is very good--it's running KitKat and unlike other 'mini' versions (HTC One mini, Galaxy S5 mini) it's had flagship level hardware (CPU, RAM, camera) and battery life is very good as well. It's also cheaper than large flagship devices, more so now that it's been out for a few months.

IMO, based on what out in the market, this phone would probably fit your needs best.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Look at the Sony Xperia Z line. I believe they are all waterproof & dust resistant.

Xperia Z1 compact (4.3") may be the one for you. It is unusual amongst small Android phones in that it has flagship-level performance & camera. Probably the best Android phone with a screen smaller than 4.5".

You also have large screen (5 - 6.4") options: Z1, Z2, Z Ultra

romesk90

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
keep in mind, I don't know of any phone that is "water proof." They are water resistant up until x metres for y minutes.

For example, the sony phone that was advertised as taking pictures under water looks "water proof" but it is water resistant. If you took it scuba diving, it would be destroyed quickly.

If you want something that wont get destroyed from rain, or accidentally dropping in the toilet...you will be fine with the recent water resistant phones (sony...samsung...)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
As others have said....

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is a GREAT phone and the price is dropping too.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
keep in mind, I don't know of any phone that is "water proof." They are water resistant up until x metres for y minutes.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not really looking for one that I can take swimming. The two phones that I've gotten water damaged were both from me getting caught outside in tropical rainstorms so mostly I want it to be waterproof so I don't have to worry about that.

Based on the suggestions here I've started looking online at some of the experia Z phones, and my first impression is that they look like pretty nice phones, I'll try to get to somewhere that I can check them out in person before too long.

And if anyone else has other suggestions not mentioned here I'm still interested in hearing them a it'll probably still be a little while before I buy it unless my iphone dies right away.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not really looking for one that I can take swimming. The two phones that I've gotten water damaged were both from me getting caught outside in tropical rainstorms so mostly I want it to be waterproof so I don't have to worry about that.

Xperia's will be fine for that

With the waterproof* Xperia Z1 Compact, you can take pictures while swimming in freshwater for up to 30 minutes. You can even dive up to 1.5 metres with it. Just remember that all the covers for the micro USB port, the micro SIM slot and the memory card slot must be firmly closed.
http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z1-compact/features/#design-durability

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.