Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
"I collected 5 million from a warehouse fire"
"I collected 10 million from an iPad Nickel allergy suit"
"Hmmm. How do you start an allergy?"

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If I were to develop a skin allergy, the last thing I would expect it to be from would be an iPad. I probably wouldn't even put the two together. I appreciate articles like this however irrelevant they may seem because they might save someone from a lot of time of trying to figure out what they are allergic too. They probably didn't even know the kid had a nickel allergy to begin with. If it was my kid, I would have been changing laundry detergents, eliminating foods from the diet, etc. Thanks for the heads up that the allergy could be from an electronic device.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
200+ million of those things are around and I've never heard anyone have an allergy. Some people are allergic to anything I guess.

as weird as it sounds i got an allergy to the material most steering wheels r made out of after years of driving my car. its especially bad during the summer

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
No, he became allergic to it, especially considering the gradual worsening. There was no indications in the paper that he was allergic to nickel prior to using the iPad.

I also got nickel allergy from my 1. generation iPad.

Sorry but you and him were always allergic. It just took time to mount a clinically significant reaction.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It happens.

The old MacBook Pros used to be coated with a finish that a lot of people's hands didn't like (Including mine). So you'd end up with peeling at the very bottom of the keyboard.

Thankfully they use something else now.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
All the more need for a (supposedly) nickel-free iWatch and a Health app! :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
MacRumors ClickBait(tm) headline:

iPad Implicated in Pediatric Rashes Diagnosed as Nickel Allergies

Actual story:

One child who suffers from a Nickel Allergy happens to use an iPad containing nickel

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Moral of this minor news story - Have allergy? Use smart case.

Easy come easy go!

tumblr_m05r1nlPE61qlapdpo1_250.gif

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
NEWS! - Boy with allergy reacts to something that contains the thing he's allergic to.

SHOCKER!

This may seem like a trivial issue but it is something Apple really needs to work on moving forward especially as they get into wearables. I was a user of the Jawbone Up and while I had no issue with the "medical grade, hypoallergenic" rubber they used, I was highly allergic to the nickel paint they used on the end cap and ended up unable to wear it.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
There are people who have very strange alergies. No news here. I think the people with nickel alergy are near 1 to 100.000 people which is probably equal or less that the percetage of people with alergy towards avocado, strawberries or you call it.

Alergy of plastic anyone?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
A lot of Fail Posts in this thread.

So, Apple coats the aluminum surface with some nickle base anti-corrosion, or it the aluminum an alloy with Nickel?

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Is the back made of nickel? If so, it sounds like it's a nickelback issue. Nickelback is always a problem, for everyone.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
This may seem like a trivial issue but it is something Apple really needs to work on moving forward especially as they get into wearables. I was a user of the Jawbone Up and while I had no issue with the "medical grade, hypoallergenic" rubber they used, I was highly allergic to the nickel paint they used on the end cap and ended up unable to wear it.

Yeah, I agree that companies must take action when there is high percebtage of people with alergies with some of the materiales used. When the percentage is less than 0,001% i think everything is ok.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
I can't send my kids to school with anything containing peanuts because there is one kid in the school with peanut allergies. I could see a very small amount of people actually making a case out of this. That said, at least this is a contact allergy and not airborne, so it is easier to avoid.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I've only read (or glanced...) the MR post and not the article, but it seems they're only reporting it. No class action... yet... (I can see a shark, err, lawyer doing just that, though).

If it's not reported, then Apple can't address any issue, if issue there is.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
This is the first time I ever hear about nickel being an allergen. Aren't some coins nickel-plated?

I guess it's time to go back to plastic casings for all hand-held devices out there. There's no point of making the device extra-thin with a metal casing if we're almost obligated to use a plastic case that's going to add to its thickness.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
The article is written like just because he's allergic to nickel that there's something wrong with the iPads.

That's some CNN level stuff there. :rolleyes:

haXis

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Czech Republic
Well. In my life, I never had allergy reaction on my hands. I've been using iPads (from 1 to old mini), iPhones (from 3GS to 4S, 5 at work), Macbooks (old Pro 13" and Air). But since I've got iPad Air, it all started. Especially in winter, it's really bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.