Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tstrong2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I have a Verizon iPad 3 and we are leaving tonight for Panama City, Panama for a vacation. Is there a good way to be able to use my device in this country? Not real excited with the International rates that Verizon wants for their data plan. Just interested in data/text access. Any advice is really appreciated:).

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have a Verizon iPad 3 and we are leaving tonight for Panama City, Panama for a vacation. Is there a good way to be able to use my device in this country? Not real excited with the International rates that Verizon wants for their data plan. Just interested in data/text access. Any advice is really appreciated:).

My wife and I just got back from Panama City. We were only there for 2 days so we didn't do much - just saw the Canal, took a tour of the city, and relaxed at the hotel - but it was quite nice.

I would look in to getting a local SIM card once you arrive in Panama - they usually have pre-loaded SIMs that will give you a few hundred MB of data.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would look in to getting a local SIM card once you arrive in Panama - they usually have pre-loaded SIMs that will give you a few hundred MB of data.
+1. In general, this is usually the cheapest option when traveling internationally. The iPads sold in the US are unlocked anyway (bar the CDMA-only iPad 2) so just need to swap SIM cards and you should be good to go.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Get a local SIM. I was in York, England last year, and Verizon helpfully sent me instructions on how to switch SIMs. Went to a local 3 phone store and got a sim and switched easily,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.