Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Sorry to be that guy but 99% of the contents of the Daily Mail is unsubstantiated rumour...

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Apple is premium tech; people should have no problem spending that kind of money if they want a phone that separates them from the Android peasants.

Peasants? Says the person proudly sporting 3+ year old tech (iPhone 4) in their signature....

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
So what you're saying is that Apple has to totally invent the technology in order to be innovative? :rolleyes:

I think he's saying that after the wheel, innovation was all downhill.

----------

Not saying that this is it, but whoever wins the race to produce a sensibly sized smart phone with enough juice to last 2+ days on a single charge with accepted average levels of daily use will be the next to be truly able to claim "this changes everything".

I'm lucky if my phone lasts till the late evening after an 8am start and I am definitely not a heavy user.

You're using it wrong.

Seriously, I'm an average user and get 2 days on iPhone 5s. Do I want more? Always. Do I wish my battery wasn't at 3% by the end of day 2. Sure, low battery warnings scare me. Do I need it to be better? Not really because I usually charge it daily.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The next revolution is in battery capacity. It would change everything and it would truly launch the world into a new era.

What about those perforated super batteries that are "cheaper and store 20 times more power than conventional batteries"? Or "stacked layers of graphene" that is apparently "super awesome and super cheap to make" now that "scientists finally find cheap way to manufacture graphene using floppy drive"? Or is every single tech article I read about complete bull?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Last i checked fuel cells were in "the low 5 digits" according to the company i was inquiring from. These were small ones as well as far as these things go.

Really curious how Apple could move the needle on this tech, because it is the most amazing thing since the Internal Combustion Engine. ( Yes and better than graphene).

I dunno, graphene is pretty cool. We might end up with faster microchips out of that technology.

merkava

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
While the tabloid does not have a strong rumor track record

Good point, they're not Professional Senior Technology Securities Analysts, that's for sure.

So take this rumour with a grain of salt until it can be vaguely confirmed - or not.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
The next revolution is in battery capacity. It would change everything and it would truly launch the world into a new era.

What about those perforated super batteries that are "cheaper and store 20 times more power than conventional batteries"? Or "stacked layers of graphene" that is apparently "super awesome and super cheap to make" now that "scientists finally find cheap way to manufacture graphene using floppy drive"? Or is every single tech article I read about complete bull?

Nope. Straight up all true. ;)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Seriously, I'm an average user and get 2 days on iPhone 5s. Do I want more? Always. Do I wish my battery wasn't at 3% by the end of day 2. Sure, low battery warnings scare me. Do I need it to be better? Not really because I usually charge it daily.

o_O

I wouldn't call that average at all... With a bit of Facebook, Reddit, email, a little bit of game playing, I'm down to 30 or 40% by the end of the day. No way I could get it to stretch into a second day.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
What exactly is a fuel cell, a hydrogen-powered battery-like device? EDIT: That's what it seems to be. The hydrogen is stored as gas. That doesn't sound very safe or compact, plus I've heard that this tabloid doesn't report true facts. I've also seen Daily Mail on my Google News feed, and I've lumped them in the trash pit with RT and Huffington Post already.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

Popular Science material. I haven't read Popular Science since they were obsessing over flying cars and 3-wheeled motorcycles, but I'll bet they're going nuts with graphene.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I know I'm being a little lazy but this article fails to explain just a wee bit what Fuel Cell Technology really is and why Apple would be interested in it.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Not

My future iPhone is not going to have a mini power plant generating electricity. And if it does, I'm not putting it in my jeans pocket by my junk.

Seriously, what would be the point? You would still have to hook the fuel cell up to a fuel source. If you are storing the energy, then you can store in the form of the fuel or in the form of electricity stored on a battery. I'd rather have a battery than a small canister of natural gas or hydrogen filled up in my phone.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone battery issue is solved by iPhone 7 at the latest. IPhone 6 might get it done between a combination of a larger battery and more energy efficient OS and 20-nm CPU. Once the battery gets big enough, then it is good enough. iPads and Macbooks are at that stage. Only the iPhone remains to annoy us with dead batteries. If Iphone 6 doesn't solve this, then I'm sure iPhone 7 does.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
"Fuel cell firm Intelligent Energy may be partnering with Apple."

The key here is that a company called Intelligent Energy already has fuel cell technology and intends to use them with portable devices, Apple wants to apply this technology to their own products. Apple isn't innovating anything here.

All that is happening "post-jobs" is still promoting a myth that Apple actually innovates and not just adapts other people's technology into their products.

If they're the first to get it right, they're innovating.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Popular Science material. I haven't read Popular Science since they were obsessing over flying cars and 3-wheeled motorcycles, but I'll bet they're going nuts with graphene.
Actually a fcp laptop is less likely than a flying car.

But fcp has future where batteries often stays but rarely used : UPSs could be possible having an reasonable compact ups capable to power an workstation and it's peripherals by 8 hour on a single cell, and then this cell could be refilled by the owner or at a service center.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Fuel cell firm Intelligent Energy may be partnering with Apple."

The key here is that a company called Intelligent Energy already has fuel cell technology and intends to use them with portable devices, Apple wants to apply this technology to their own products. Apple isn't innovating anything here.

All that is happening "post-jobs" is still promoting a myth that Apple actually innovates and not just adapts other people's technology into their products.

As others have already corrected you on... innovation and invention are two different things.

The iPhone was innovative. Did Apple invent the smart mobile phone? No. They took what was considered a smartphone to a whole new level and changed the entire landscape of the technology. Did Apple invent the tablet? No, they brought it to a whole new level of experience and expectation, to the point that it's changing the entire computing industry.

They did not take someone else's technology, slap their iPhone and iPad names onto it, and then call it their own. That was the essence of your post, wasn't it?

The same could be done with battery and fuel cell technology. The point is that we really don't know what Apple is going to do with this technology, but what we do know is that they will be applying tremendous engineering efforts to continue to create industry-changing advancements.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty sure the iPhone battery issue is solved by iPhone 7 at the latest. ... If Iphone 6 doesn't solve this, then I'm sure iPhone 7 does.

I'm curious what you mean by "iPhone battery issue"?

You seem to be suggesting that the iPhone has horrible battery life on a grand scale. Maybe that is a reality (yes, I charge my iPhone 4 every day, too). But what you're failing to identify is that there is a certain user responsibility to ensure that a device makes the most of its resources.

Let's use a car as an example. If the driver of a car never performed regular maintenance on it, then eventually the performance and efficiency of that car will degrade.

The same logic can be applied to a phone. If I use 10 apps in a given day, and leave them all running, how will my battery perform? Some of those apps may be doing stuff that is sucking up juice. I personally experience this. If I leave the Facebook app running, goodbye battery. Even my own bank's app, goodbye battery. Proactively quitting these apps preserves battery life by a very noticeable amount.

How about Bluetooth and Wi-Fi? If I leave those turned on while I don't need them, that's like leaving my car's windshield wipers going simply because I'm too lazy to turn them off. Those wipers are wasting energy (fuel).

So, my point is, it's as much the user's responsibility to maximize battery life as it is Apple's. I mention this because I'm curious if you are proactive in managing your phone's battery in these ways?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.