Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Bare
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Good for Eddy, but... dook sucks. #lehigh #mercer
Bare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:24 PM   #27
testcard
macrumors 65816
 
testcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Middle England
If you win, and you work in advertising, take along your resume. Can't do any harm.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:49 PM   #28
dansix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I would ask him why Apple doesn't just develop OSX for all computers... which would just lead to complete and utter domination of the PC market. Also, why Apple hasn't come up with an answer to Microsoft Office, which would lead to the destruction of Microsoft.
dansix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:21 PM   #29
thekeyring
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Wrong thread, sorry (edited)
thekeyring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:33 PM   #30
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a
 
super tomtendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
I snapped this photo of Eddie during the NBA playoffs (at a GS Warriors game)... Pretty sure this is him. I never got a response from @MacRumors when I tweeted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.32.37 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	480722  
__________________
Current: 2013 27" iMac + 2010 11" MacBook Air | Retired: 2008 15" MacBook Pro
super tomtendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:43 PM   #31
JarScott
macrumors 65816
 
JarScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
he could have thrown in a Mac Pro at least
I say that every time one of these bizarre auctions come up. They could at least throw in their most expensive desktop.
__________________
iPad Air
iPhone 6 Plus
Retina MacBook Pro
JarScott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:43 PM   #32
Piggie
macrumors 603
 
Piggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansix View Post
I would ask him why Apple doesn't just develop OSX for all computers... which would just lead to complete and utter domination of the PC market. Also, why Apple hasn't come up with an answer to Microsoft Office, which would lead to the destruction of Microsoft.
I do not believe Apple has the skills to do that.
You can throw a million permutations of hardware together and get Windows to run on it. Heck Apple have enough trouble getting OSX to run perfectly on the tiny range of machines they make and have 100% hardware control over.
__________________
Amiga 500, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox360 Slim 250GB, PS3, Nokia 6210, 3 Home Made PC's, Adidas Watch, Nikon + Fuji Cameras, 32GB iPad, Furry Pigs (mainly pink!)
Piggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:13 PM   #33
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 68000
 
ToroidalZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
I do not believe Apple has the skills to do that.
You can throw a million permutations of hardware together and get Windows to run on it. Heck Apple have enough trouble getting OSX to run perfectly on the tiny range of machines they make and have 100% hardware control over.
Apple did license out their OS back in the mid 90s. Then one of the first things Steve Jobs did when he returned was to discontinue that practice. The problem was that the 3rd party companies would undercut Apple's retail value and sell their computers for far less. Obviously this would eat into Apple's sales. Apple would be forced into a race toward the bottom by lower retail price with shrinking profit margins. Basically Apple would put themselves in the same position as all the PC manufactures where they make almost no profit on each device and can't innovate in the future because they can't support the R&D budget.

Apple makes money off hardware sales and they develop OS X to support the hardware. Apple's money isn't in licensing like it is for Microsoft or Google.

It would be quite easy to port OS X to work on every modern PC because Macs already use standard hardware with Intel CPUs and AMD/Nvidia GPUS. But like I pointed out, they already did that in the past and it would be corporate suicide.
ToroidalZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:15 PM   #34
Populism
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
His name has always, to me, sounded like a fake mafia name:
"Yo, we gotta job for someone with a certain set of skills. We'll say MacBook Air skills, and a certain knowledge of basketball."
"Betta call Eddie Cue."
Populism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:29 PM   #35
ksuyen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Who do you want to have lunch with?

ksuyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:44 PM   #36
jonnysods
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Aussie living in Canada
Not even the top of the line MBA.

Does rbe $10K include lunch?

----------

Not even the top of the line MBA.

Does the $10K include lunch?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuyen View Post
Who do you want to have lunch with?

Image
Craig seems like a fun guy.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:20 PM   #37
brinary001
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Saint Louis, MO, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Cue is widely known as a huge basketball fan, and has been seen at many basketball games, including those of his favorite team from Duke University, his alma mater.
I like this because it means he's doing this for no other reason besides wanting to do something for a good cause.
__________________
Not an Apple addict like a lot of people on here. We have evolved to the point of making great technology. Let's not limit ourselves to using just the stuff that has a half-eaten fruit on the box.
brinary001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:14 PM   #38
IbisDoc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuyen View Post
Who do you want to have lunch with?

Image
Have to wear sunglasses to view that picture.
__________________
100+ posts! Finally, I'm privileged enough to post in the political threads.
IbisDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:27 AM   #39
skwash
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
If you wait till fall to have lunch with him you get a 12" Macbook rAir. But really, you would think they could have at least maxed out the specs on the Air that comes with the lunch.

Current bid is $40k
skwash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:34 AM   #40
Populism
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuyen View Post
Who do you want to have lunch with?
I'd be content to dine with only Angela's jawline. Love it.
Populism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:06 AM   #41
dansix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroidalZeus View Post
Apple did license out their OS back in the mid 90s. Then one of the first things Steve Jobs did when he returned was to discontinue that practice. The problem was that the 3rd party companies would undercut Apple's retail value and sell their computers for far less. Obviously this would eat into Apple's sales. Apple would be forced into a race toward the bottom by lower retail price with shrinking profit margins. Basically Apple would put themselves in the same position as all the PC manufactures where they make almost no profit on each device and can't innovate in the future because they can't support the R&D budget.

Apple makes money off hardware sales and they develop OS X to support the hardware. Apple's money isn't in licensing like it is for Microsoft or Google.

It would be quite easy to port OS X to work on every modern PC because Macs already use standard hardware with Intel CPUs and AMD/Nvidia GPUS. But like I pointed out, they already did that in the past and it would be corporate suicide.

Interesting but it would be a new market for Apple, one that has been ignored in the past. I never understood why. Why wouldn't Apple want to dominate PC's? It would lead to more revenue. I think they're in a position to do that now but I know they're not a software-centric company. I just feel as if there is this gaping hole in the market... nobody really wants to use Windows because of the virus's the constant maintenance, and just the utter lack of design taste... and Office can be a pain in the arse... it would be nice if Apple could focus more on software, I know it's big enough to do it, and it definitely has the capital to expend.
dansix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:56 PM   #42
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If I'd ever get an opportunity to dine with Jony Ive I'd force him to eat soup from a perfectly flat plate.
Woyzeck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 02:15 PM   #43
paul4339
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
since Eddy is also on he BoD for Ferrari, I think they should throw one those in as well as a MBA... That should get the bids going.
paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:06 PM   #44
fallenjt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
When you see Ed's tummy

I can't finish your lunch. No thanks.
fallenjt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:39 PM   #45
Kwill
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
If we had $10K to spend, we would buy a tricked out Mac Pro not a MacBook Air. Let Tim have lunch with Eddy.
__________________
o ::::: ::::::::

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:22 PM   #46
Quadrant4
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
I think the whole premise of

these auctions is lame. Only rich people can pony up enough money to have lunch or coffee with Cook or Cue? That's so freaking lame. They aren't going to tell you anything secretive about what they are working on that hasn't been mentioned publicly, so what would be the point? So, some rich person can say they had lunch or coffee with Cook or Cue?

Cook and Cue must have HUGE egos to even THINK about doing this. It's all to serve Cook's and Cue's massive ego. They need to feel relevant. I guess even the rich have plenty of insecurities.

Plus I don't know if it comes with a test drive in Eddy's Ferrari where he lets you drive it for a couple of hours.

Last edited by Quadrant4; Jul 15, 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Quadrant4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:44 PM   #47
Quadrant4
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansix View Post
I would ask him why Apple doesn't just develop OSX for all computers... which would just lead to complete and utter domination of the PC market. Also, why Apple hasn't come up with an answer to Microsoft Office, which would lead to the destruction of Microsoft.
Eddy doesn't do anything with the OS or outside of his scope of work, which is mostly iTunes and other Internet services. So Eddy can only intelligently talk about the iTunes and App Store for the most part. If you want to ask about OS X for non-Apple motherboards, talk to Ive or Cook about that, but they are simply going to tell you that they don't want to support non-Apple motherboards, etc. It would cost too much and they would probably end up giving a lot worse support. That's why Apple's support is as good as it is, they have more control over what they support. if they make it or bless, they can support it better.

Look at Microsoft, they have horrible support and they off load most of their support to the OEM mfg and they don't have very good support either. Plus, if Apple were to offer OSX as an install on PCs, they would probably have to charge about $200 to $300 a year for the license with phone support. I don't think they would get many takers on that.
Quadrant4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:55 PM   #48
Quadrant4
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwash View Post
If you wait till fall to have lunch with him you get a 12" Macbook rAir. But really, you would think they could have at least maxed out the specs on the Air that comes with the lunch.

Current bid is $40k
$40K? What a rip. If I had a spare $40K to throw away, I'd buy a maxed out MacPro, MacBookPro and have money left over to buy some high end storage system, a bunch of third party apps and then STILL have money left over to get a refreshed maxed out MacMini, iPhone 6, iPad 5. Or, I'd buy a damn nice stereo, or something else for $40K. But lunch with Cueball? Nope. I've got better things to do.
Quadrant4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:30 PM   #49
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 68000
 
ToroidalZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansix View Post
Interesting but it would be a new market for Apple, one that has been ignored in the past. I never understood why. Why wouldn't Apple want to dominate PC's? It would lead to more revenue. I think they're in a position to do that now but I know they're not a software-centric company. I just feel as if there is this gaping hole in the market... nobody really wants to use Windows because of the virus's the constant maintenance, and just the utter lack of design taste... and Office can be a pain in the arse... it would be nice if Apple could focus more on software, I know it's big enough to do it, and it definitely has the capital to expend.

Did you read a word I said? In the long-run the competition forces prices downward until there is little/no profit. From ASUS wiki. In 2011 their revenue was close to 15 BILLION, profit was only 500 MILLION tho. Apple's profit margins are much higher on it's MacBooks, iMacs, and Mac Pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrant4 View Post
$40K? What a rip. If I had a spare $40K to throw away, I'd buy a maxed out MacPro, MacBookPro and have money left over to buy some high end storage system, a bunch of third party apps and then STILL have money left over to get a refreshed maxed out MacMini, iPhone 6, iPad 5. Or, I'd buy a damn nice stereo, or something else for $40K. But lunch with Cueball? Nope. I've got better things to do.
dinner with him is probably worth more than 1 yr tuition at a Ivy League school.
ToroidalZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:05 PM   #50
Quadrant4
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroidalZeus View Post

dinner with him is probably worth more than 1 yr tuition at a Ivy League school.
How is dinner or lunch with Cue worth more than 1yr tuition at an Ivy League school? At least at an Ivy League school you can at least get 1 yr credit towards a 4 yr degree, which would be better on your resume. but I highly doubt that someone with an extra $40K doesn't already have a degree, or maybe two of them. I don't see what one would gain from it. He can't discuss anything that's protected by NDA, so you won't get any privileged information on things Apple is working on. You aren't going to get a behind the scenes look at prototypes and products that haven't been announced, so it's more like a 1 hour of bs so he can gloat over his Ferraris and tell you how great his life is. You'd probably have to take a shower to get all of the slime off your body after spending an hour with him.
Quadrant4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC