Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

shazam.jpg
Shazam today updated both its free and paid iOS apps to version 7.7.0, adding Rdio integration. When a Shazam user identifies a song with the app, the recognized song can then be played directly within the Shazam app via Rdio.

While it was previously possible to listen to songs identified within Shazam in the Rdio app, users are now able to listen to songs from Rdio without having to switch apps.
What's new

This release brings full track playback in Shazam, powered by Rdio. Once you're connected, you can play any track and carry on listening to the music as you discover more in the app. Shazam a song to get started.
Songs identified within Shazam can be added to the playlist of a user's choice or an automatic playlist of all Shazamed songs within the Rdio app. Taking advantage of Rdio integration within Shazam requires the Rdio app to be installed and it also requires a Rdio account to be set up.

Shazam has been long known as one of the major song recognition apps and as of iOS 8, its song identifying capabilities are built directly into Apple's operating system.

Shazam can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Shazam Encore can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Shazam for iOS Gains Ability to Play Songs Directly in App via Rdio

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Interesting...

I find this quite interesting, considering Apple integrating Shazam into iOS8 and Siri. Considering Rdio is their competition, both for iTunes(Radio) and Beats Music ****.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
I find this quite interesting, considering Apple integrating Shazam into iOS8 and Siri. Considering Rdio is their competition, both for iTunes(Radio) and Beats Music ****.

Given the accuracy of that statement, I think I can confidently and accurately say, "Steve Jobs would never have allowed this."

Seriously. Knowing how Steve operated, I could see him stripping Shazam integration from iOS 8 or demanding of Shazam to remove that feature immediately.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I can even playback snipped now. Everytime I hit play on a track in shazam it says I need an rdio unlimited subscription to play it. Seems like a pretty awful feature for people who don't have subscriptions to me. I'll stick with spotify

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.