Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

Well, I have an iPad (1st gen) that is a little over 3 years old. It is now already out of support for 2 software generations. So there is nothing I could do, but throw it away.

The device itself functions great for all the apps that are installed. However, it seems I can not install anything new - all the apps now require at least iOS 6 or 7.

Maybe a 3 year old phone is old tech, but I expected to get a little more life out of a tablet that was sold to me as a netbook replacement. Especially since the hardware still works as on the first day...

(And, no, I am not buying the iPad Air with 1 GByte of RAM, only to discover that I can not install iOS 9 because it requires 2 GByte. I hate how Apple forces some iDevices devices into obsolescence.)

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Apple's mobile operating systems have traditionally seen quick adoption rates due to the company's easy over-the-air updates
Yeah, I thought that was it.

It has nothing to do with them preventing you reverting to an earlier version, (which they stop signing pretty quickly)?
Nothing to do with a device not supporting an earlier OS?
Nothing to do with the irritating red badge you can’t get rid of once the OS knows an update is available?
Nothing to do with selectively making new features ony available on new hardware, even though old hardware might support it meaning a new phone and a new OS, (Siri)?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

It has nothing to do with them preventing you reverting to an earlier version, (which they stop signing pretty quickly)?
Nothing to do with the irritating red badge you can’t get rid of once the OS knows an update is available?
Nothing to do with selectively making new features ony available on new hardware, even though old hardware might support it meaning a new phone and a new OS, (Siri)?

Also, the SSL bug and intentionally broken Face Time that were never patched in iOS 6 except for devices that cannot update to iOS 7.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Well, I have an iPad (1st gen) that is a little over 3 years old. It is now already out of support for 2 software generations. So there is nothing I could do, but throw it away.

The device itself functions great for all the apps that are installed. However, it seems I can not install anything new - all the apps now require at least iOS 6 or 7.

Maybe a 3 year old phone is old tech, but I expected to get a little more life out of a tablet that was sold to me as a netbook replacement. Especially since the hardware still works as on the first day...

(And, no, I am not buying the iPad Air with 1 GByte of RAM, only to discover that I can not install iOS 9 because it requires 2 GByte. I hate how Apple forces some iDevices devices into obsolescence.)

Not nearly as bad as Android. Google dropped support for the Galaxy Nexus when Kit Kat (4.4) and the Nexus 5 came out. Despite them saying over and over again Kit Kat is better for devices with lower specs. That is the equivalent of Apple saying the iPhone 5 will no longer get support when iOS 8 comes out. But Apple has already guarantee support for it and for the 4S as well.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Not nearly as bad as Android. Google dropped support for the Galaxy Nexus when Kit Kat (4.4) and the Nexus 5 came out. Despite them saying over and over again Kit Kat is better for devices with lower specs. That is the equivalent of Apple saying the iPhone 5 will no longer get support when iOS 8 comes out. But Apple has already guarantee support for it and for the 4S as well.

That is not the point. I talking about Apple and not Android. I bought a fairly expensive tablet that supposedly should work as a netbook/notebook replacement, which is simply does not - from the software side.

Just because Android is worse still does not make the situation better. It may be different for phones, but I am very doubtful about the future prospect of tablet computing if this trend continues.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
That is not the point. I talking about Apple and not Android. I bought a fairly expensive tablet that supposedly should work as a netbook/notebook replacement, which is simply does not - from the software side.

Just because Android is worse still does not make the situation better. It may be different for phones, but I am very doubtful about the future prospect of tablet computing if this trend continues.

I agree in relation to questioning the future of tablet computing in my personal computing needs/preferences.

One point of consideration is that the iPad 2, with much more capable hardware (bump to dual core CPU for example), has official iOS 8 support. It was released in Early 2011. That means by the time iOS 8 comes out, it will have been supported for 3.5 years. Assuming iOS 8 is its last supported OS, the iPad 2 will have had full software support from Apple for 4.5 years (including the life of iOS 8). 4.5 years support for a tablet is awesome when you look at Google's support for their tablets. And just about everyone I know upgrades their laptop before they have it for that long.

So in response to your situation, my guess is that it is because of hardware. And that is an unfortunate price most early adopters end up paying.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

Naw, they're the ones who have an aesthetic preference and opinion and wonder why they're called out in every thread before any of them even say anything.

Ftr, 9% represent.

Fwiw, you can remove the badge without a jailbreak until the next update (i.e. iOS 8.0, 8.0.1, etc.) is pushed by Apple when you'll have to repeat the process. It's annoying but it's a small price to pay if you're ocd like me and can't stand the badge. You just have to change a string value in a couple plist files through iBackupbot.

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA

I'm a part of that 9%, specifically iOS 6.
My iPad 2 is running iOS 6.1.2. If that particular version seems to stand out, it's the last version of iOS 6 compatible for an Evasi0n jailbreak.
Now my iPhone 5s is running iOS 7.0.4, which is also jailbroken at this moment. At the time, I didn't think iOS 7 would run smoothly for the iPad 2, much like how it ran on the similar-spec'ed iPhone 4.
Unfortunately, since the Jailbreak window for iOS 7 has passed, I cannot update my iPad without losing all my tweaks. I can deal with that, it still works for everything I use it for.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Poor Android :-(

Android has a totally different software support system than iOS. Once you're behind in iOS versions, you're out of support and left in the dark. Android versions are supported by Google and developers longer, thus getting more use out of older handsets that cannot run newer software.

Poor iOS :-(

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
These charts always kill me. No crap rates on ios 6 and lower devices are going to drop in the app store. Users know apps are dropping support for older firmwares. I never use the apps tore on my ipod on ios 6 or my ipad on ios 5 simply because of this reason...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Naw, they're the ones who have an aesthetic preference and opinion and wonder why they're called out in every thread before any of them even say anything.

Ftr, 9% represent.

Fwiw, you can remove the badge without a jailbreak until the next update (i.e. iOS 8.0, 8.0.1, etc.) is pushed by Apple when you'll have to repeat the process. It's annoying but it's a small price to pay if you're ocd like me and can't stand the badge. You just have to change a string value in a couple plist files through iBackupbot.

Interesting little app. Tks.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
These charts always kill me. No crap rates on ios 6 and lower devices are going to drop in the app store. Users know apps are dropping support for older firmwares. I never use the apps tore on my ipod on ios 6 or my ipad on ios 5 simply because of this reason...

Yeah they need a better way of doing these servays.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I'm a part of that 9%, specifically iOS 6.
My iPad 2 is running iOS 6.1.2. If that particular version seems to stand out, it's the last version of iOS 6 compatible for an Evasi0n jailbreak.
Now my iPhone 5s is running iOS 7.0.4, which is also jailbroken at this moment. At the time, I didn't think iOS 7 would run smoothly for the iPad 2, much like how it ran on the similar-spec'ed iPhone 4.
Unfortunately, since the Jailbreak window for iOS 7 has passed, I cannot update my iPad without losing all my tweaks. I can deal with that, it still works for everything I use it for.

Actually, the Pangu jailbreak is available for 7.1.x as of recently. It's reported to work well but only sometimes. That is, you might have to try a few times before it works properly. For that reason, I haven't tried it yet and am still on 7.0.4.

----------

This is really cool to see as a developer. Building for old iOS can be a pain.

Yes, it's a huge relief. My app will probably work on iOS 6, but so many things were deprecated and replaced in iOS 6 that my UITableView nightmares would have been tripled if I had to support all the old versions.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Android has a totally different software support system than iOS. Once you're behind in iOS versions, you're out of support and left in the dark. Android versions are supported by Google and developers longer, thus getting more use out of older handsets that cannot run newer software.

Poor iOS :-(

Nice try, my friend. Older handsets cannot run the apps smoothly to begin with. So, it's a longer suffering, not a longer enjoyable experience. In addition, the majority of Android developers rarely update their apps in the PlayStore. :rolleyes:

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I agree in relation to questioning the future of tablet computing in my personal computing needs/preferences.

One point of consideration is that the iPad 2, with much more capable hardware (bump to dual core CPU for example), has official iOS 8 support. It was released in Early 2011. That means by the time iOS 8 comes out, it will have been supported for 3.5 years. Assuming iOS 8 is its last supported OS, the iPad 2 will have had full software support from Apple for 4.5 years (including the life of iOS 8). 4.5 years support for a tablet is awesome when you look at Google's support for their tablets. And just about everyone I know upgrades their laptop before they have it for that long.

So in response to your situation, my guess is that it is because of hardware. And that is an unfortunate price most early adopters end up paying.

The lesson seems to be - as always ;)
  • Don't buy first-gen devices from Apple, unless you have money to spare and don't mind that you are the beta-tester
  • Don't buy late in the product cycle (whatever people are saying in forums). Besides everything else - it eats into the timeframe this device is supported by software updates.

As a sidenote: I know of a guy who bought his first-gen iPad on instalments. He was still repaying it, when Apple stopped supporting it with software updates...

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It seems fine on my iPhone 5, a little faster in fact. Not so on every 4S I have seen. Plus it probably raises the resale value to have iOS 6 :cool:

iOS 7 is smooth on the 4S. I have a few friends and family who have a 4S running iOS 7 and each one has the same experience. It's quite fluid. Not sure why people keep saying this!

----------

Also, the SSL bug and intentionally broken Face Time that were never patched in iOS 6 except for devices that cannot update to iOS 7.

Intentional? Yeah right.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
My mom's 4S runs like crap and she asked why did I not stop her phone from "update" (more like a DOWNGRADE!)

Both my parents still have the 4S while they wait for the 6. I do agree that at launch 7.0 ran horribly, but after the 7.1 update I felt it was running pretty well. Even on my 5S 7.1 made it felt a lot faster, glad they sped up the animations etc.
Personally I like the design of iOS 7, but id like to see continued improvement and polish. Pretty excited for iOS 8 and Yosemite.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011

simply put, people who still use a 3gs.
it may seem out of this world for people on this forum, but they really do exist!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.